Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Club

271 REPLIES 271
Highlighted

Re: Book Club

Hello ladies
I know the book club has fizzled out but if you are looking for a really nice choice try:
THE LETTER ..by Kathryn Hughes
My sis passed it to me and I'm really really loving it.
Happy reading xxx
Highlighted

Yes I did, they both had a story within a story which made them interesting to read. I think I preferred  The Kashmir Shawl as I thought it had a bit more pace to it and the characters more interesting. 

I am also ploughing through the free books on my kindle but I am open to any suggestions. Ann xx

Highlighted

Yes, sorry Carolyn - I have been downloading so many free books onto my Kindle lately that I haven't really had time. I feel a bit guilty, though, leaving it in the lurch like that. I'm sorry, Anneemay, but I didn't really fancy either of those books, but I should have let you know! Still up to my eyeballs in free books, but will try to read something else if someone has another suggestion.

Anneemay, did you enjoy both of the books?

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

What's happened to the book club ladies ? I must confess that I haven't been reading much lately as been busy but it seems to have fallen by the wayside ?
Xxxx

I have downloaded both books as I couldn't decide, shall we review either or both at the end of the month or is that to early. Ann xx

Highlighted

Hello Anne and Sandra, I prefer the look of The Muse personally, but there is nothing to say we can't discuss two different books- no set rules! Who knows, someones opinion of a book may change another persons mind and convince them to read the other book! What does anyone else prefer?

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

I like a wide range of books and providing there is a good story i'm happy. Both suggestions look interesting and the Kashmir shawl is only 99p on kindle so I've downloaded it anyway as it isthe sort of book i would usually go for, i have a kindle full of bargain books that will keep me going for years never mind all the ones in my bookcase!

Sandra xxx

Highlighted

Can I suggest a couple of books if Waffles has not got any in mind at the moment.

The Muse by Jessie Burton or possibly The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas, not sure what everyone's taste is or whether they have been previously read by members. I don't mind trying either as neither are the genre I normally read. Unless anyone has any other suggestions. Ann xx

Highlighted

Glad you enjoyed it, too, Anneemay. If that has given you a small taste for SF, there are loads of other books I can recommend!

I think Waffles was going to choose the next book. But any suggestions are welcome!

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

I've also finished the book, my first encounter into science fiction which I enjoyed. Like previous comments I thought about how things have changed, since the book was published with regards to childrens freedom. I can remember going off for the day on my bike,  with just a couple of sandwices and a drink, with no thought about my safety and my parents did not consider this unusual. Matthew dissapearing for the day was therefore considered quite normal behaviour in the 60's, no mobile phones for the parents to constantly monitor his whereabouts and check his safety !!! 

Any ideas on what to read next. Ann xx

Highlighted

Hello Sandra, glad you enjoyed it! Yes, the freedom of the children surprised me, too, although forgot to mention that! Having just watched The Moorside, the story of Karen Matthews, on the telly, I should have remembered! I was also 11 in 1968! What a coincidence! I can remember going out for the day with friends at that age. I can remember how 3 of us walked 7 miles to a local landmark, taking a picnic lunch, and were then collected at the end by one of our parents. We didn't have any supervision, and no-one worried about us. We did it once a year for several years. We once found a whole load of wild strawberries on the way - just happened to be the right time of year. Ahhh, those were the days!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the book.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi, I've finished the book and I enjoyed it, I looked in the front cover and the book was printed in 1968, as i was 11 in 68 I could relate to the time period and the amount of freedom children then had, being able to disappear off out for the day without anybody worrying. It makes you realise how little freedom  children have today. The reaction from everyone when Mathew disappears is quite understated compared to the press coverage you would expect today. It is interesting that the story is told from the Fathers perspective, probably if it was rewritten today you would also have chapter's written from the Mother's perspective and Mathew's.  Nearly 50 years after the book was published it is still a good story, the essence of which has stood the test of time, that I very much enjoyed reading again.

Highlighted

Hello bookclubbers! Today is the day! I wonder if you have all read Chocky yet? If so, any thoughts?

As I said when I proposed it, it is one of my favourite books. Reading it again, though, after all these years, I notice the naivite of it - so much more dated than I remembered. I can't quite set the date, but it has to be set in early to mid sixties, I would have thought. After Googling Jack De Manio (whose Radio 4 programme "Today" is mentioned) I would think those dates about right. I can just about remember hearing him on the radio when I was a child.

The gentleness of the story hasn't changed, though. Still a lovely entry to reading Science Fiction.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Thank you
It's just nice to join in and have to have some motivation to pick up a book to read ,
Regards Marcelle
Highlighted

Yes, Bonariensis, I agree. Love his books. I'm hoping others will too.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Welcome, Marcelle. We don't take ourselves too seriously, but it's nice to have other peoples suggestions and I have read a few books that I have enjoyed, but that I would not have read otherwise.

Perhaps you might like to suggest one in the future, after we have read Waffles' suggestion.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi all,
Carolyn, so sorry to hear about our dear fellow bookie aunico. My thoughts are with her loved ones.
Sorry I've not been involved with the bookclub as much as I previously was but I've had loads of books been given to me for Christmas previous to that I read a Robert Harris Trilogy which I was so keen on it I had to read all three in a row. Will try to join in again or suggest one of my books that I got for Christmas at a later stage Enjoy John Wyndham - top writer. I've not read Chocky but have read a few others which I really liked.Best wishes xxx
Highlighted

Hi ,
I would like to join the book club if it is ok with you all
i have never joined a book club before but it does sound interesting and something to keep my mind going , I do occasionally asks friends who are members of book clubs about any good books they have read though ,
Take care
Regards Marcelle xx
Highlighted

I will read it. John Wyndham is a great writer.

Highlighted

That's fine Barton I have ordered the book from Abebooks and won't be delivered until the 27 th Jan. so it will give me plenty of time to read it amongst the other books I have on the go. Ann xx

Highlighted

Hello Ann - how does about a month sound? Shall we say 20th Feb? I am totally open to suggestions if that is too soon. It is a short book, though.

Hugs. Barton.x

Ps - have to admit to a small ulterior motive - trying to get new people interested/liking Science Fiction by easing you all in gently!

Highlighted

So are we in agreement to read Chocky if so when will we review it please Barton ? Ann xx

Highlighted

• Of course you can, Sandra - more the merrier! Please don't think you have to ask to join any thread - just drop in, like the rest of us! Smiley Wink

Lovely to meet a fellow Wyndham fan!

Sorry about the dot at the beginning - no idea why it did that!

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Can I join in please, it's not a book I would normally choose but i remember reading a lot of the John Wyndem books years ago.  I love reading and as I am currently struggling to do much more than than sit and read or play games on my tablet this will be a nice.

Sandra ☺

Highlighted

If you go to abebooks.co.uk you can probably get one for less than £3 certainly less than £4.

Highlighted

Hello ladies
I'm going to miss this book , not because I don't want to but because I have two books on the go at the moment and watching big brother late at night !!
Just to add ..Julie posted that our lovely fellow bookie aunico died recently.
Carolyn xxx
Highlighted

Hi Barton,

I don't mind trying Chocky if no one has any other suggestions it is not a book that I would normally choose to read but I will keep an open mind. I looked on the Amazon site and some of the reviews have said that the Kindle format has some problems, so if we do decide to go with this book a hard copy would be probably the best way to go. Ann xx

Highlighted

Would anyone be up for an "easy", reader friendly, science fiction book? The one I am thinking of is one of my long-time favourites - "Chocky" by John Wyndham (the author of The Day of The Triffids). It is really quite short, but a lovely story (no nasty torturing, like in my previous suggestion!). If no-one fancies it, can someone else suggest one?

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Are there any suggestions for the next book to read. Ann xx

Highlighted

Anneemay, thanks for picking this book. Not my usual choice of reading material at all, but so glad I gave it a chance! I thoroughly enjoyed it! The characters were all well rounded, and totally believable. Like Carolyn, I guessed early on that Leni's daughter was dead, but it didn't spoil the story at all. Unlike Carolyn, however, I probably won't but any more by this author, but I did enjoy this one.

Has anyone thought of thd next book?

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi, I really warmed to the characters and loved the feel of the book.  It was fairly predictable and stuff but sometimes it's nice to just have a nice book like that, you know?

Highlighted

I absolutely loved loved this book and I'm on a mission to buy her other titles. It just my sort of fluffy reading. Every chapter I was connecting with the characters and felt involved in their lives. A lot of it was beautifully predictable and I just knew Lenis daughter Anne was dead from the beginning but it kept us guessing to the end. I also loved how Margaret could see the loved ones beside her patients before they passed ..it was a nice touch that would be nice if it was true.
Thank you for a truly lovely book which I savoured to the very end. The book will be passed on now with a five star review to my sister !
Carolyn xxx📚📚📚
Highlighted

Reviewing the book I chose The tea shop on the Corner, it was not the sort of book I normally read but I really enjoyed it. I liked the way the characters were interwoven in the storyline and we're believable. I read the book over a period of about a week as I found it difficult to put down sometimes and only normally read at bedtime.

I would definitely add this author to my reading list. Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann,
18th Dec is fine for me too. Best wishes. xxx
Highlighted

Thats ok - 18th is OK for me, if its OK for everyone else. Have bought Kindle edition.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Just ordered my book now ..looks good but I'm kinda of old fashioned ..like a proper book and not kindle !!
Carolyn xx
Highlighted

Shall we review on Sunday 18th December that will give us 4 weeks if that's okay with everyone. Ann 

Highlighted

I'm OK with it. Do you have a date for us, Anneemay?

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi everyone,
I'm happy to go along with Milly Johnson. Is everyone else OK with the Teashop on the Corner as suggested by Ann? xxx
Highlighted

Hi Barton,

I quite like the sound of The tea shop on Corner by Milly Johnson, I have not read anything by her before so hopefully everyone will enjoy the book. Ann xx

Highlighted

Hello Anneemay, only suggested Jane Eyre if non-one came up with another suggestion. Am happy to go with one of yours. Which one would you prefer to go with? I don't know either author, so have no preference.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

there are 2 books that I would like to suggest which I fancy reading, the first is The Christmas Promise by Sue Moorcroft and the second is The Teashop on the Corner by Milly Johnson both are on the Kindle best sellers list so may be worth considering. I do not mind reading Jane Eyre if that is what everyone else decides. Ann xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone,
I'm afraid I didn't get round to this one but I have read it before and your comments have inspired me to dig it out and read it again. Bonariensis I've read one of the Edinburgh ones too and I agree, they're not quite in the same league. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi all,

sorry I'm a bit late posting I have not been on the forum for a while and completely forgot the date to review the book. 

I did enjoy the book and read it over a week, I enjoyed how Mme set the scene in Botswana and could imagine how her life must have been quite difficult in a male orientated and dominated world. She came across as a strong woman who through her womanly wiles and senses managed to succeed in her chosen profession against all odds. I am so glad at the end that she was able to have a better experience of men with a man who cared for her. Ann

Highlighted

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion for the next book? If we are stuck, can I suggest Jane Eyre? Willing to go with anyone elses suggestion, though.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hello fellow bookworms, I too, have read this one before, but, as I enjoyed it so much, it certainly wasn't a hardship!

I loved all the descriptions of Botswana - it is written in such a way that you can almost feel the affection the author has for the country. I have never fancied visiting Africa, but if I did, Botswana would certainly be on the list. I loved the way Mma was such a compassionate woman, and so clever in her reading of people (apart from her first husband!) and their motivations, etc. I am so glad she agreed to marry the garage owner (sorry, can't remember his name) at the end. I had forgotten that from my previous reading of the book. I would love to see the BBC series on tv again.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi all,
I was quite surprised by this book. I was expecting it to be a very light and easy read and, true enough, it was a short book, well written in a straightforward manner, However, as Bonariensis mentions the book is also full of social commentary, wisdom and sadness. The story of Precious's father time working in the South African mines is particularly harrowing. I also thought the story of her first marriage and baby was very moving too and showed the way that women were viewed by some men. Having said that, while some of the men in the book , particularly the handsome ones, are less than enlightened in their treatment of women, others are very decent.
I also thought the author was able to write very evocatively and with great affection about the country and the people. He really brought them to life.
All in all this is a very warmhearted, likeable book that doesn't shy away from serious issues. If you haven't read it, give it a go. It is very readable.
I look forward to reading more in the series. xxx
Highlighted

Hi I enjoyed this book. Didn't take long to read and interesting stuff. I'd read another in the seriesi think!

Highlighted

Hi Waffles

Glad you are not feeling too bad apart from lack of appetite. This is what i thought about the book:

I read this book quite a long time ago and others in the series too. Picked a copy up at a jumble sale on Saturday and have just finished rereading it. It’s just as wonderful as it was the first time, full of wisdom, insight, humour, sadness, vivid characters, brilliant descriptions that bring Botswana to life and all kept moving by the crime narrative. It’s refreshing to have crime stories that, while sometimes very distressing, are full of humanity, not violence towards women which seems to be the current fashion in crime writing. The language is simple, elegant and direct.

The book contains much social commentary on Botswana, particularly on the role and behaviour of men, that is less than complimentary. The book is written by a white man and I have heard people say that a white man should not be writing about a black woman in an African country. But maybe a view from outside can in some ways be more perceptive. There is no doubt that the author, who lived in the country, loved it and its people.

There are two passages in the book which might mean something to us. The first is Precious’ father’s feelings about death; he suffered from a life limiting illness too; and a sentence on p158 which talks about feeling like a different person in the middle of the night.

I have also read some of the author’s books about Edinburgh where I lived for a few years. They just don’t have the same effect on you.

Highlighted

Hi Carolyn,
Thanks, I'm fine. Have no side effects other than not really enjoying any food other than biscuits or soup, which is a pain. This doesn't mean I don't eat, I do, I just don't enjoy it very much.
I was on holiday for a few days and have been keeping myself really busy reading lots of books so not been on the site for a while. Will be back to posting on word games shortly. xxx