374393posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Club

Carolyn52

Re: Book Club

Thank you Barton for choosing such a good read ..away from my usual fluffy stuff !
As soon as I started reading it .it stood out a mile as very well written and I immediately got into it ..although I got it wrong as I thought that Jean would end up marrying the elderly lawyer !!
I enjoyed the Australian section more than the Malaysian start ..but the author definately researched every detail to perfection ..I did have to flick the pages a bit when Joe got punished for stealing the chicken as I'm a wuss with things like that . Reading about the outback was very interesting ..no technical things But a lovely community where everyone works together and not against each other ...as in modern times.
But I would like to see the film too.
I have passed the book to my sister and hubby for them to enjoy too.
I have started the new one I capture the castle now but getting sidetracked with a Jackie Collins one I have just been given!
Xxx
Waffles

Hi Barton,
I really enjoyed it. It was sort of like a mixture of a war memoir, love story and a business manual. I liked the main characters (Jean and Joe)a lot and I was really keen for them to get together as they were quite an unlikely couple - an Australian cattleman and a 'can do' Englishwoman. It was great how instead of moving to another town because it had nothing for her to do she changed her own town to suit her and at the same time all the younger people who would otherwise have moved to the city.
I was also very interested to see how aboriginal people were portrayed in the book. They were called 'boongs' which I'm not sure was derogatory or not, after all Joe called Jean Mrs Boong when he first met her. Joe seemed to trust his aboriginal farmhands totally and they were treated respectfully but didn't seem to be on the same par as whites. However, it is a book that was written 60 years ago and it was probably showing a liberal attitude for the time towards minorities.
I definitely enjoyed it a lot and I think I'll need to see if I can track down the film. Thanks Barton for recommending it. Excellent choice.xxx

Barton

Yes, Waffles - so sorry I forgot about it!

OK - love this book, and always have - Nevil Shute writes so beautifully. I have read several of his other books. The most outstanding section in the book (and what upset Carolyn so much -many apologies to Carolyn and anyone else upset), was the section about the severe punishment of Joe by the Japanese officer for stealing his chickens. I have no doubt whatsover that severe punishments were handed out in the War by the Japanese (a work colleagues uncle suffered at their hands during the War, so much so that he wouldn't tell us the details).

The book is so evocative of the early 50's, and was written around then, I think. In a way, it makes me long for what I consider simpler times (although to people living through them, they probably weren't any more simple than they are today). I can picture so clearly in my mind the Australia of those times, as Shute so brilliantly describes things without being overly fussy over it (some authors, I find, go into so much detail that you end up wanting to strangle them and say "get on with the story"!).

Another favourite of mine (vaguely Science Fiction, but only very slightly, as it was written at the height of the Cold War when such scenarios were considered a distinct possibilty) is On The Beach, if anyone wants to read any more of his books.

What did everyone else think? Enjoy? hate?

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi Barton,
Are you ready to lead of the discussion on A town like Alice?
xxx
Barton

Don't forget, ladies, we start discussing A Town Like Alice on 15th!

Hugs. Barton.x

PS, is there anyone who would like to choose the next book for when we have all finished I Capture The Castle (EJ's choice), the discussion of which we scheduled for 15th Sept, I think? Unless everyone wants to go with Carolyn's choice Smiley TongueSmiley WinkSmiley LOL

Carolyn52

I've just finished a town called Alice too.
Got the new one I capture a castle all ready so well on schedule for all reviews
Xxx
Waffles

Hi all,

Finished Town Like Alice the other day. I thought it was excellent. Look forward to discussing it in a few weeks. xxx

Carolyn52

Just ordered my book I capture the castle so will b back in the book club.
Just got half of a town called Alice to finish ready for the review.
Xxx
Barton

OK. Will start a separate thread.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

That's a great idea ..I'll kick it off

Noddy ..good books but big ears needs to go on a diet ..he's too big for Noddys car !!!

Hugs xxx
EJ81

I think that's a really good idea - we all do enough hanging about waiting for appointments etc. There must be people on here who have books to recommend even if they don't want to do the bookclub xxx
Barton

Fine with me, too, EJ. Have bought the Kindle version. Not yet started, though, as in the middle of another book at the moment.

What do people think about a separate book recommendation thread? Anything you are reading, or have read, or an old favourite. I would suggest a brief synopsis of the book to give people some idea of the contents.

Hugs. Barton.x

Momo

Sounds good.

EJ81

Yes the more the merrier LouBoo. Our next one for discussion is A town like Alice for the 15th August. Then I Capture the Castle.
Shall we provisionally say 15h September for I Capture the Castle? Giving people a month between books seems to work well xxx
LouBoo

Thanks Barton - I've just had a quick look at I Capture the Castle - looks really good xx

Barton

I'll read Noddy if you recommend it, Carolyn!

Barton

Of course, Louboo! The more the merrier! Read and enjoy!

Hugs. Barton.x

LouBoo

Can anyone join - new on here but love a good read?!!! xx

Carolyn52

Thanks Barton ..I'm such a wuss ..don't like trauma bits ..I'm about halfway now so hope if I find it will turn the pages quick.
What am I like ? Maybe Noddy would b a good choice !!
💙💙💙
Barton

Oops, crossed posts EJ!

Will check it out on Amazon now. Thanks for the recommendation. Do you want to set a date for discussion now, or leave it a bit?

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

As Carolyn said, Ej, name that book! I'm sitting here raring to go!

*** Just a quick warning re A Town Like Alice (I hadn't given it a thought I'm ashamed to say, until Carolyn mentioned it, possibly because I have read the book before a couple of times), there is a fairly short, rather traumatic bit near the middle of the book. Just skip those pages if you want. The event is mentioned very briefly later in the book, but in an abstract way. ***

Hugs. Barton.x

EJ81

Ok I'm going to go with I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I read it a long time ago and can't remember much, only that I really didn't want it to finish. xxx
Carolyn52

Come on Ellie ..name our new book ..it will give me the focus to finish Alice and get on with a new one.
Good news Samantha about your worries.
Xxxx
EJ81

Great news Samantha! Thanks for choosing Longbourne. It is one I wouldn't normally have picked up. Xxx
SamanthaL

Hello there folks! I couldn't find the book club page! Tried a few times, but now I have found it.

glad you liked Longbourne, those that did. I chose it because I thought it gave an interesting perspective on the book that we know and love, name

y the tough work that the servants have to do to make those elegant dinner parties happen. And then also the challenges that everyday people had to meet.

and yes I thought it was engaging and beautifully written. 

Looking forward to reading Alice! 

Also now I am stuck into the tennis.

and I thought my cancer had spread to my brain, ( was feeling sick and tired and headachy) but it hasn't! 

Waffles

Hi EJ,

I  have no problem with you choosing our next book. Enjoy your holiday xxx

Spoiler

i

EJ81

I can suggest one for next time if no one else has one in mind. Might miss out on the Town like Alice discussion as we're heading to France on the 14th but I'm going to read it anyway as its such a long time since I last read it. Xxx
Waffles

Hi everyone,

Our new book is A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute chosen by Barton. You have until 15 August to read it. Anyone can join in. You don't need to register. Just join in the discussion on the 15th if you want. We aren't looking for an essay. Just let us know if you liked the book or not and a brief reason if you like.Happy reading. Best wishes xxx

aunico

Overall enjoyed it but it had to grow on me. I read Pride and Prejudice last a long time ago so was sort of wanting a copy by me to refer to as I wondered how many 'in jokes' I was missing. This made me feel a little uneasy if you like as I read it.

Wasn't keen on Sarah much to begin with but the characters all grew on me and I agree it was a clever intertwining of the stories. The ending seemed quite quick and convenient, (SPOILERS)...would she have found him that easily and what happened when they got back - the household was shrunk, so would they have had a job?

Mrs Hill was a sympathetically drawn character and i thought the author wrote her story well.

Now to go feast my eyes on the Colin Firth TV version!!

Carolyn52

Hiya
I ducked out of the longbourne book as I was reading another but I'm halfway through a town named Alice and will be definately on schedule for reviewing it in August.
Please ladies ..don't ask me to choose the next one ..I'm useless ..you would probably end up with Noddy or something !! Doh.
Xxx
Barton

Yes, Momo, if that would be better for you. How about Monday, 15th? Does that work for you?

Hugs, Barton.x

Momo

can we push a town like alice to the second week of August? It's quite long and I have weekly chemo sessions. 

Waffles

Hi all,
I thought it was really beautifully written. The characters were well drawn. It would make a really good film. What I really liked was how it showed how much work the endless parties, dances and dinners caused for the servants and how thoughtless even the most thoughtful of employers could be regarding the work their staff had to do. For example when the main character had to go out on foot and walk for miles in terrible weather just to get bows for the Bennett sisters shoes. I'll certainly read more of Jo Baker's books.xxx
EJ81

I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if Mr Bennett having an illegitimate son with the cook was a step too far for me. Very cleverly intertwined with the original though. I've not read anything else by Jo baker but I will look out for her now.
Ellie x
Barton

Enjoyed it very much. I hadn't expected to, but thought it really good. It was beautifully written. I cared about the characters.

Barton. X

EJ81

Oh good, it was July for Longbourne. I thought I'd missed it. What did people think?
Waffles

Hi SamanthaL,

Hope you are well.  Do you want to begin discussion for Longbourn? xxx

Barton

I enjoyed it too, Waffles. Very nicely written.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi all,

I've spent the last few late afternoons sitting in the garden in the glorious sunsine reading Longbourne. Just perfect! Just  finished it today and would recommend it to anyone. I loved it. I will certainly be reading more Jo Baker book. xxx

Carolyn52

My new book a town like alice has only just arrived. Royal mail delivered it to the wrong address a week ago. Bless..☺
I'm looking forward to starting it tonight but have plenty of time to catch u all up.
Decided to miss longbourne as I was into my Marian Keynes book ( told u I read trash) .
Think we have to name our booky club members ..
How about ..." the metsers reading club".
Better suggestions wanted .
Xx
Waffles

Hi all,

I started reading  Longbourn the other day and am really loving it. It isn't something I would have though about for myself. Excellent choice Samantha.xxx

Barton

You aren't the only one, Carolyn. Lots of people prefer to stick withe "tree" books. Have to say, I wasn't that impressed with Ispector Chopra.

Aaargh - no editing - sorry for typing errors.

I do hope you enjoy A Town Like Alice.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Just to add to my earlier posting about inspector Chopra ...the book went on a cruise aroubd the med after i finished it and was read by four people ! They all loved it and are getting follow up books by the same author.
Think that counts as a review.
Got my book town named Alice coming today in post ...yes I know I'm the only one with a book and not an online reader ..like the old fashion way.
Xx
Carolyn52

My book should b here this week and so happy with the date. I read fast.
Xxx
Barton

OK, Samantha. Thanks for the date. May I suggest 1st August, then, for A Town Like Alice? Is a month enough time for everyone? It' a longer book than the Inspector Chopra one, but slightly shorter than Longbourn, I think.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi Samantha,

That date suits me fine too. xxx

EJ81

That works for me. I still need to read it! Started a different book thinking I had plenty of time - oops!
SamanthaL

Hello there - yes I suggested Longbourne, by Jo Baker, I down loaded on the kindle.  it's a counter point to Pride and Prejudice.

can I suggest the 2nd July. Could do earlier, but it's easier for me to fit in around my Chemo cycles. 

aunico

Sounds great! I've downloaded the Alice one and will look at the other one. Looking forward to joining in 🙂

Carolyn52

Barton ..love that song ..it's my daughter in laws favourite as well.
As soon as u named the book I started humming the song !!