376411posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Club

Waffles

Re: Book Club

Thanks Barton. I  noticed I called the book ' . A Town Called Alice'  rather than '...Like Alice' I was obviously getting it mixed up with the excellent Jam single ' A town caled Malice' What am I like. 😀 xxx

Barton

Hello, Vicky. I have never belonged to a book club, but I believe a book is suggested by someone in the group. We are then given a date for discussion of the book. We are leaving roughly a month between discussions, as some people are suffering se's causing blurred vision, or do not have time to read often or for very long. We have all agreed not to discuss the books before the date, in order to not spoil the book for others who have not yet finished the book.

Hope that is clear.

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

Sorry Waffles - yes, Longbourn then A Town Like Alice. Samantha should set a date for the discussion of Longbourne, then I can set a date for A Town Like Alice. And no, Waffles, you are not thick. I didn't make myself clear. Many apologies.

Hope that sorts out some queries. Samantha...  do you have a date?

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being so thick but are we reading Lingbourn and then A Town Called Alice. If so shalll we sott out dates when we should be finished the first book by.Thanks xxx

Carolyn52

Welcome Vicky ..never to late to join us . The more the merrier to our elite club!!!

Waffles will let u know the details etc.
Xxxx
aunico

Hi all, feel I'm joining in these fun and games quite late on!  How does this work, when do you review the books?  I've seen the latest recommendation and would be interested in joining in!

Vicky 😉

Carolyn52

Shame on you !!

Will get the book ordered online.
Xxx
Barton

Pps - Barton here, admitting she has already read the 50 Shades books (((blushes furiously))).

Barton

Ps - no Shakespeare, specially for Carolyn!

Barton

Many thanks, everyone! I would like to propose "A Town Like Alice" by Nevil Shute. It is £1.99 on Kindle, £3.99 for the paperback new or for as little as 1p used paperback on Amazon at the moment (although the 1p ones are charging £2.80 P&P). It is a favourite of mine, but I haven't read it for years, so am looking forward to a reread. Is that acceptable to everyone? I have another option if you don't like the look of it.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Waffles

I  am happy for you to choose the next book Barton. xxx

Carolyn52

Go on ..choose a book Barton ..I'll get it and give it a try ....please no Shakespeare though !!
Just thinking ahead ..don't ask me to choose one ever ..it would be shades of grey or mills and boon or something tacky !!
EJ81

I'm happy for you to do the next one Barton. I've not got anything in mind yet xxx
Barton

Thanks, Chocolates!  I have one in mind, but need other people's agreement first. I don't want to be too forward.

Hugs. Barton.x

Chocolates

Hi ladies, I agree with everyone.  I did enjoy the book, especially the capture of the country etc but felt the plot was too weak for my liking.  I was waiting for it to get going and never quite did.  However, it was a light read and perfect for us all to get started with.  I'm definitely too much of an animal lover, I found it worrying when the elephant was tied up downstairs in the yard for long periods.  It bothered me and it's only a book!!!  I'm currently towards the end of longbourn and so looking forward to discussing it.  As far as I'm concerned Barton you go for it and suggest the next book.  

Im fully appreciative of the fact that I'm reading books now which I wouldn't perhaps have chosen initially, but am enjoying them all the same so thank you ladies.

hxx

EJ81

Agreed, it was a light read although not fluffy subject matter which was clever. The elephants involvement was a bit far fetched - especially saving him from being dumped in the sea. I liked that it had a strong female character in the wife but thought she maybe wasn't as well rounded as chopra's character. I think I will get the next one as I still thoroughly enjoyed it xxx
Barton

Hello all, I'm in agreement with Waffles - a light, fluffy book, and an easy read. It was fascinating reading about India like that - not usually one for sub-continent (?) stories, films, etc, but enjoyed this. I believe your term is correct, Waffles (sorry, definitely not typing that one!). Sometimes it works, but it was used rather a lot. I'm afraid I won't be buying the others in the series, but thanks for suggesting it.

Carolyn gets the Teachers Pet prize this time, cos I'm afraid I didn't take notes on either book. Will have to try harder! Possibly a B+ on this occasion?

When can we discuss Longbourn, Samantha? Do you have a date in mind? And can I suggest the next book -pleeeeease?

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hiya waffles .I had the same thoughts . I loved the first 100 pages where they introduced the character's and the baby elephant but found the actual plot very vague and not convincing either. I got upset when the bad guy kicked the dog too!
It was a very good read though and I enjoyed it. The book is currently on a cruise in the med with my friend and I'm hoping she is enjoying a light read too whilst she Sun's herself by the pool.
Xxx
Waffles

Hi Carolyn,

Hope you all enjoyed the book. I thought it was very sweet  with pleasant characters. I  thought it brought India to life and definitely felt like it was written by someone who knew the country well. 

The plot is very far fetched in that everytime Chopra is in trouble his elephant saves him. I remember from studying Greek drama at school (a long, long time ago) that this sort of plot  is called 'deus ex machina' where  characters are rescued from hopeless situations by the gods helping out at the last minute. I  suppose those looking for a gritty detective story would have been disappointed but if you are only looking for a light, colourful read with pleasant leading characters and a magic elephant then this wound be perfect. Anyone else have any opinions xxx

Carolyn52

Oh goody goody ..isn't it our review day for our book today?
Will wait for waffles to do the necessary.
Xx
Chocolates

Thank you - I'll download it today ready to start tonight.  xxxx

Waffles

Hi Chocolates,

The title is Longbourn written by Jo Baker.

xxx

Chocolates

Hello ladies, I've finished inspector book. What's the next one - the longbourn one - can someone let me know the title and author please. Want to get started.

we need a little excel sheet on here don't we. One column for have the book. One column for reading it and one column for finished. Then we'd know when everyone was ready. 

Enjoy the the long weekend. 

Huge hugs,

hxxx

EJ81

Samantha I'm the same, everything looks a bit 'foggy' sometimes. I have the print large too. Probably why I use my tablet more these days - I always swore I was old school and wouldn't be giving up books any time soon but my tablet is a godsend when I'm hanging about in the hospital xxx

Carolyn52

Oh Janette ..what are you like ..pull your finger out as you only have 12 days left !!
It's an easy book to get through as its large print and loads of chapter breaks !!
Hugs xx
rosie53

Hahaha well I'm definitely not teachers pet, still haven't got past the 1st chapter......that's lines and detention for me then!!

Janette xx 

SamanthaL

I've read both, BUT haven't taken any notes! 

When do we get to start talking about it? 

Looking forward to our chat.

does anyone else find it quite tough to read after chemo, my eyes are all squiffy. I have the book on quite large print on the iPad. 

Carolyn52

AAGH .. Barton and myself are now sharing the title of teachers pet .
Hugs xx
Waffles

Hi Carolyn,

I was very impressed that you took notes. I hope I can remember enough about the book to discuss it! My memory is terrible. Nothing to do with chemo- I 've always been this way. I think I might have skim through it again to remind myself of the story. 😀

xxx

Carolyn52

Just to let you know that book as its now finished has gone off for a Mediterranean cruise with my best friend for her to enjoy now.
Hugs xx
Carolyn52

Hiya ..I'm a teacher's pet too ...finished the book at 4am this morning ..jotted down some notes along the way so I don't forget.
Back to my Cathy Kelly now ...told you I read trash.
Hugs xx
Carolyn52

It's quite a easy book to get through as there is lots of chapters and breaks. I'm three parts through it at the moment and will easily finish it in a few days ...
Hugs xx
EJ81

I have many crinkly books from reading in the bath! I really enjoyed inspector chopra. So much so that I've read it far too quickly!! I have Longbourne ready but I'm saving it for nearer the time otherwise I'll have forgotten it all xxx
Waffles

Hi everyone,

I'm prone  to ruining books too Carolyn. I love reading in the bath but tend to nod off and drop my book in. Not good...😀 Luckily, I now have a waterproof mobile phone and I use the Kindle app on that so problem solved!  

I've got Longbourne already but haven't started it yet as I'm reading another book. Looking forward to it. xxx

Carolyn52

Waffles ..you made a good choice because it sort of suits everyone ..not too heavy or hard to get into .
If the next suggested book is Macbeth or something ..I will have to throw in the towel!! Lol.
Hugs xx
Barton

Oh Carolyn! What are you like? Smiley Very Happy

Glad you are enjoying the book - I did too (much more than I thought I would). Thank you, Waffles, for suggesting it.

Is anyone else reading/have read Samantha's choice (Longbourn)?

Hugs and happy reading to everyone. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi Samsntha,

Glad you are enjoying it.  I saw it in Waterstone's as part of their 'Book Club' feature where they recommend books. I've read number of these  recommended books  and always find they are very good. Also it wasn't too long which is good for those of us who don't have the time or concentration to read a big book. I think we had said that we could start discussing the book on 10th May but, of course, we can start earlier or a little later depending how long everyone takes to read it. xxx

Carolyn52

I'm loving the book too not my usual trash but very easy reading. Dropped my coffee over it yesterday so had to do a bit of drying out!

Hugs xx
SamanthaL

Hope all is going well! 

Loving inspector Chopra.

wondering how an online book club would work! 

hoping that Waffles you will introduce the book, and why you chose it! 

Before we all get stuck in! On the 12th May, that's our discussion date isn't it? 

Waffles

Hi Janette and EJ81,

It is very light reading, so even if you only get the odd half hour every day you would get it done well before 10th May.

Best wishes xxx

EJ81

Oh dear I'd better get started! Didn't get a chance during treatment these last two weeks as my chemo currently only takes about an hour. By the time I've drunk a cup of tea and chatted to the nurses it's time to go again! (Not complaining though). I'll make a start tonight as I'm full of steroids from today so I won't sleep much xxx

Carolyn52

I always read before I go to sleep and if I wake up in the night ...read a bit more.
Oh the joys of this illness ...small windows of sleep at night but hey ho as I'm retired I can stay in bed later in the morning. Oh how life has changed ..used to b up at six ..mad dash around but now don't c much of day until after nine.
Hugs xx
rosie53

Omg really??? I'm struggling to read it, never seem to get the time (I'm not complaining like to be busy) and when I do in the evening I'm too tired!!

Janette xxxx 

Carolyn52

Hiya. Just to let you know I'm up to page 100 and catching up fast.
Enjoying it.
Hugs xx
Carolyn52

Hiya. Just to let u know my book has just arrived . Will have no probs reading it by 10th may.
Hugs xx
Barton

Carolyn, I hope the book arrives soon for you. It's really taking a long time, isn't it? I think you will enjoy it when it comes.

I'm about three quarters of the way through Longbourn now, and enjoying that one much more than I thought I would, too. Very well written.

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

Chocolates, you are excused! You have an excellent excuse for all sorts of things.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hiya ladies.
I'm still waiting for mine to come from world books as I ordered it online.
Good excuse when it arrives for me to slob out and read!!
Sounds good that u r all well into it
You don't get so many options for things on I pads or smartphones . When I beam up laptop I have so many other things like smiley faces etc.
Hugs xx
Chocolates

Oh my - I've lost the plot.  I pushed quick reply instead of reply.  I can now see the hidden smiley face thing.  Doh!!!  I've got no hope have I?  Ignore me ladies, just leave me in my world.  I'm fine honest xx

Chocolates

I've started the book also. I think I'll be fine for the 10th may but also so glad waffles said about remembering it. I just got the giggles about our chemo brains and no one remembering anything! Fingers crossed. I can't see the hidden face thing on reply - I'm on an iPad. Perhaps we need to be on the computer for that. Never mind. I'll also keep my thoughts to myself for now.

Happy reading everyone xx