cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Recommendation: Coping With Radiotherapy

6 REPLIES 6
FizBix

Re: Book Recommendation: Coping With Radiotherapy

are you used to being in "that" position - could it be back thing? i.e. pressure from a vrtebrae on your spinal column?

I kow I blame everything thing on this but following a car accident I learnt a lot about how it was all connected ... might be worth a call to an osteopath just ot put your mind at rest (not suggesting you're up to any manipulation!)
good luck love FB xx

lisaf

Dear Angie

Font of all knowledge, anything in book about pains, women in rads lovely but seem bemused by pains, my ribs and neck are aching, could just be my unfit body reacting, good luck next week, will have to arrange a meet up
xxx

FizBix

thanks verti

I have a hand-written report which I can't understand and has 2 sets of numbers on it PT2No70 and 50'4 Gy ???? When the real one comes in the post I'll let you know

had 33 - 28 in 5 positions and then another 5 in 3 of the original 5 positions

I don;t know how tired I am as the day I was due to finish I started a heavy period that had been hanging around for a couple of weeks prior and I have had 4 days of the heaviest bleeding I have ever had - think it's cost I haven;t had one for about half a year! I think that once this period is over I'll feel far better - the last week when they only did 3 positions I felt far less tired.
At least I know it's normal!

Good luck with it all - how many are you having ? Soon be over - whey hey hey!
love FB Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Heya Fiz.

Here's what it says.. more than 7 out of 10 will have some tiredness if radiotherapy lasts more than a week. Often it's quite slight but can sometimes be troublesome and affect sleep.

"The tiredness associated with radiotherapy can affect people at all ages but is more likely in people over the age of 40. Usually it will begin to disappear within a month of finishing your course of treatment, but it may take many more months, or even a year or 2, for things to get completely back to normal. Once again the older you are, the longer the tiredness is likely to last."

It also states

"About 4 out of 5 people having radiotherapy to their chest will get radiation fatigue"

Do you know how large the total dose you had was as your course was pretty long but they may have given you smaller doses over a longer period. In the UK radiotherapy for breast cancer has been mostly standardised and most patients will receive 15 doses giving a total of 40 grays of exposure.

I'm looking forward to getting started so I can get finished 😉

FizBix

Hi verti

if it isn't too late could you have a look and tell me the % of people who feel "wiped out" by radio - cheers
thanks and good luck with it!
love FB xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'll be returning a copy to Penrith library tomorrow in case anyone in Cumbria wants to reserve it

Guest user
Not applicable

Book Recommendation: Coping With Radiotherapy

There's a most excellent book called "Coping With Radiotherapy" that your library may have, or it's less than a tenner from Amazon.

I found it full of helpful information and I'm now ready to start next week fully confident in my treatment plan courtesy of being able to ask intelligent questions today after reading this book.

If you too are the kind of person who likes to know what's going on I recommend it highly.