cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Recommendations

49 REPLIES 49
EJ81

Re: Book Recommendations

I've just read Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. Really enjoyed it. Quite unusual as the the story users loads of unusual old photos to support it. xxx
raonaid

Yes l liked it too. I'm currently reading the first Harry Potter with my daughter and she's loving it.

Moijan

Hello, its hairless hattie here! I dont mind being muddled with spudgirl, shes younger than me! Just to say, i have finished the book the cursed child and even though it was written in play form, I really rnjoyed it. The first book ive read for ages.

and ive got chemo brain too!

bonariensis

I thought she might like it!

EJ81

Sorry Spudgirl! I got you and moijan mixed up! Not sure how - let's blame chemo brain! 😜
Carolyn52

Almost embarrassed at my choice of books but just finished Jackie Collins " the santiangelos " which concluded the series.
Got a few more fluffy ones to start now too!.
Carolyn xx
EJ81

I read gone girl Moijan. Very dark! I'd be interested to know what you think when you're finished. Has anyone read anything by Marc Levy? He's a French author but I think some of his have been translated. I use them to try and keep my French half decent and find them very readable. A bit more romantic than I usually go for but hard to put down once you're into them xxx
Spudgirl

I'm now pushing myself to read different genres, as usually I read stuff like Milly Johnson and Lisa Jewell (which I still love) .  So after finishing the Girl with all the Gifts (it's coming out as a film in the next few weeks I think!) , I then read The Girl on the Train.  Now that was fantastic!  

Then I had a dig through some online book clubs to see what people then went on to read, and I tried a recommendation 'The ice Twins' .  It is set in the Hebrides/Outer Hebrides, and that was fab too!  

Now I've just started reading Gone Girl and then a friend told me the ending of the book is rubbish, so now I'm not sure I want to carry on, but I feel I have to so I don't waste my money 😉 

xx

Moijan

Was it written by lovely Carolyn?

bonariensis

Like water for chocolate

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6952.Like_Water_for_Chocolate

I replaced this book on the shelf yesterday when putting all the stuff back in our living room and remembered how much I'd enjoyed it

Moijan

Hello I  mentioned 'the cursed child' by jk rowling earlier, apparently she only wrote it in play form, but our library keeps one copy and its out! Such a shame

i also searched for the cancer warrior, which someone recommended, cant recall who, but apprantly that is out of print. Has anyone here read that?

moijanxxx

Barton

Hello Waffles, thanks for that - I might look up him/her (?). Hope they are available for Kindle.

Sorry, Moijan, not a fan of Lee Child.

Hugs. Barton.x

Moijan

Yes Waffles im glad you mentioned wonderland as I was thinking of Alice when i started reading your post and spotted talking cats..may try it!

Waffles

Hi all,
I've never read any Lee Childs books either but I've often been tempted to buy one in Tesco. So who knows.
My favourite author is Haruki Murakami. I just love his books. Many of his books ( my favourite ones) are 'magic realist' in that they are set for the most part in everyday life but they some 'supernatural' type scenes and have characters such as talking cats and sheep men. A bit of a warning though if any of you found the torture scene in A Town Like Alice' hard to cope with then don't read 'The Wind up bird chronicle' it isn't a horror book but it contains one of the most shocking scenes I've ever read. Probably the best of his books as an introduction is 'Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world'. Happy reading xxx
Moijan

Oh Barton, yes, of course we would...if you ever find a stockist..let me know!are any of you going to read the cursed child?

Moijan

Hi Carolyn, old chemo brain cant recall the film tho am sure i would have seen itxx

Barton

Wouldn't we all, Moijan (time Turner).

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hiya ..I read all the Lee child's books too ..one was very blood thirsty though.
Went off them when they made the film and had diddy Tom cruise as Jack reacher ..they needed a beef cake like Arnie or Jason Statham ..don't u think ?
Moijan

Lee child's books are all about a hunky man who is a bit of a detective, was a major in the usa army police corps. Lots of interesting crime mystery, but lots of description about bits of the usa. I find it addictive! Also he is almost as good as harry potter.Barton...ps id love a time turner !Moijanxx

bonariensis

One of my favourite authors is Margaret Forster. She was what you might call a literary novelist but at the same time her work is very readable. She wrote a lot about families and about women; she wrote novels and biographies and an autobiography - 'My life in houses'. I would recommend, 'Diary of an ordinary woman' and 'Hidden lives'. She had breast cancer in the 1970s and it returned in 2007. She died in February this year.

Margaret Forster in 1973.

Carolyn52

I don't read much heavy stuff so mine is all fluffy ..but just finished Rosie Hopkins . Sweet shop of dreams ..Jenny Colgan.
It's all about the penny chews and sweetys we had as kids !!!!
Loved it.
Carolyn52

Yes ..it's a very light read but the scene is all set around Dartmouth and I really enjoyed the book.
Xx
bonariensis

Must read Whatever it takes, Dartmouth is my nearest town

EJ81

My Amazon wish list gets longer every time I come on here! xxx
Barton

Thanks, EJ, but don't rush (and don't try to walk here on your poorly feet!). I can wait until our next meet-up.

If you like Katherine, I am pretty sure you would enjoy the House books.

Hugs. Barton.x

EJ81

Oooh love Katherine! Think I've read some others of hers which were good too. Will get in touch about dropping off Rivers Barton. It's not a heavy read but it was very enjoyable xxx
Barton

Yes, Waffles, love Dune! I even like the film (strange, I know!). I wasn't so keen on the sequels though. I think authors often try to push things too far once they have had a success with something. It doesn't help when their children try to carry on when they have died!

Thanks, EJ, would like to borrow Rivers, but the Circus one doesn't appeal I'm afraid. Thanks very much.

Carolyn, will check out the book you mentioned as I love it when books are set locally (love Dartmouth).

Has anyone ever read the House books by Norah Lofts? The Town House, The House At Old Vine and The House At Sunset. They follow the history of a house, right from when it was first built, up to the 50's (when the author wrote the books, I think). It gives the stories of some of the residents throughout the house's history. A great trilogy.

Another really good historical book)(also a romance really), is Katherine by Anya Seaton.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi all,

EJ, Goodness Rivers of London sounds great too. I've seen it in Waterstones several times and have thought about buying it before. Not sure how I can fit in all these books with all the films and box sets I watch. Barton, sorry you weren't as keen on the River World Books as me but it wouldn't do if everyone's tastes were exactly the same. I think I asked you before but did you like Dune by Frank Herbert. I  read that many years ago but thought it was wonderful and I remember being very disappointed by the film version.

Happy reading xxx

Carolyn52

Ssh confession time.
Just finished Adele parks ...whatever it takes.
Set in Dartmouth ( our world) ..loved it lovely story and easy to enjoy but very much a light read not for you avid readers ..with zombies and plots !!
Hugs xx
EJ81

I can lend you rivers of London or night circus if you like Barton xxx
Barton

Carolyn - Mills and Boon nothing to be ashamed of - I have read many an M&B over the years (nothing recently, but only because I don't think to buy them for my Kindle! Would be happy to read them again. It's whatever takes your fancy!

Thanks, EJ, will have a look on Amazon.

Hugs. Barton.x

Ps - on a side note re my keyboard, I'm pretty sure now that it's the tablet keyboard itself causing the problems, not the website - it's doing it everywhere! So annoying! It has been doing it ever since I downloaded the latest update - which was supposed to have fixed bugs - I didn't have any before, but I do now!

EJ81

Carolyn you are allowed to read whatever you like!
Funny how if you get on a theme you think of others in a similar style. If you like a bit of escapism try The Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Hard to explain but it's about a policeman who ends up in a department dealing with all the weird stuff the police department don't know what to do with. Very entertaining and enjoyable. Not really a detective novel as such as it dips into magic and sprites and all sorts. First in a series. I have them all so far and am waiting for the next one to come out! xxx
Carolyn52

I'm too embarrassed to write here what I have been reading but think mills and boon and you are getting near !!
Oops ..
Barton

EJ and Waffles, I love The Time Travellers Wife! One of my favourites! I would love it on my Kindle, but it's STILL not available. One of the paper books I kept when I moved.

Waffles, I have now finished To Your Scattered Bodies Go. I enjoyed it, but I'm afraid all the religious stuff went over my head rather. And definitely not delighted to read one of the main characters (off and on) was Herman Georing! If it hadn't been a 4 (or 5?) book series, I would have bought the next one, but I'm afraid I didn't like it well enough to splash out on all the others.

I hope you enjoy the Gifts book - it is excellently written.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi all,

EJ, I must agree Time Travellers Wife is really enjoyable book.Much better than the film which was actually not too bad. I have heard Night Circus is good too. Spudgirl and Barton, you have definitely talked me into reading Girl With All the Gifts. It sounds fab. xxx

EJ81

I've been reminded of a couple more!

The time traveller's wife by Audrey niffeneger (sp?) Fantasy about a man who time hops but doesn't really have a say in when or where he ends up. A really brilliant book that I just couldn't put down.

Another fantasy, more magical than SF is The Night Circus by Erin. Morgenstein, again may have spelt that wrong I'm going from memory, really unusual and beautifully written book about two magician rivals and their protégés.

Sorry I'm not always good at giving a synopsis as I'm always scared I'll give too much away and spoil it!

Ellie xxx

Barton

Hello Spudgirl, on your recommendation (and reading the description on Amazon), I bought The Girl With All The Gifts. I have finished it recently and thought it excellent. I normally hate zombie books, and avoid them like the plague (pun intended!), but this one was different. The author gave a logical explanation for them existing, and a believable background for all the characters. Loved Melanie!

Thanks very much for the recommendation, and I may be reading the authors next novel (Touch).

Hugs. Barton.x

EJ81

I have all the Harry Plotter books too! Recently got a cheap one on my Kindle called The Sisterhood which was a good read, sounds a bit odd but it followed a community of nuns and flitted between present day and medieval times.

Also, Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. Written from the point of view of someone fading into dementia so not massively cheery but really well written. Flashbacks to the past which intertwined with the present.

I'm also a big Agatha Christie fan. I have loads of her books and am gradually trying to get the whole collection through second hand book shops and charity shops! xxx
Carolyn52

I read all the Lee child's books and loved them until they made the film ...Tom cruise as Jack reacher was a joke ..it needed Arnie or Jason Statham !
Hugs xx📚📚📚📚
Barton

Sorry, not keen on Lee Childs.

Barton

Oh, Moijan, you are sweet! I have all the HP books too - paper and Kindle! I need to reread them, but so many other books!

Hugs. Barton.x

Ps - will join you for the cheese, but I don't like wine, or any alcohol, in fact (just don't like the taste).

Moijan

This is agreat idea Barton! We could also share some cheese and wine as a group, whilst we read together!

Moijan

have just hugged you for getting this goingxx

Moijan

I know this is so childish, but I have all the Harry Potter books! So I read those over again. I also like Lee Child....his books are really difficult to put down!

Moijan

Barton

Thank you Waffles and Spudgirl - I have bought both of those for my Kindle! They both look  like great SF. Looking forward to reading them but I'm in the middle of another book at the moment.

Hugs. Barton.x

Spudgirl

I'm in the middle of reading "The girl with all the gifts" ,  by M R Carey.  A friend bought it for me,  not the sort of book I would pick up but it is fab and I cannot put it down!   

It's set in the future in UK, and basically this fungus is taking over the humans, and using their bodies as hosts. It sounds a bit cliched but alll sorts of twists and turns and I don't want it to end.  Never thought I'd love a story about flesh eating half humans so much! 

🙂 

Barton

Thanks, Waffles. Sounds a bit strange, but as an SF fan, I'm quite used to strange! Smiley Very Happy

I'll have a "look inside" on Amazon.

If you want some SF recommendations, I would be happy to oblige (got loads of favourites).

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi everyone,

• If you like SF/fantasy, I know you do Barton, why not try The Riverworld Series by Philip Jose Farmer. The first in the series is To Your Scattered Bodied  Go. The premise is that in the future all humanity is reborn on another planet  with everyone aged about 25. The main characters include King John, Herman Goring, Mark Twain, Alice Liddel and Richard Burton the explorer most or whom end up sailing up and down the river in riverboats. It sounds really silly but the books are hugely enjoyable and well written.xxx
Deedeepuss

Little coffee shop in Kabul by Deborah Rodríguez is worth a read

Xxx
Carolyn52

Anyone that knows me will realise that I read trash as I like easy to read chill out stuff.
I have just finished :-
Anyone out there by Marian Keyes ..it's an old one but I found it easy going, witty and relaxing. Most of it is set in Ireland and very enjoyable.
Xx
Barton

Book Recommendations

I'll kick off. If I put the title, author and genre (eg Historical, Romance, Crime, Science Fiction), is that ok?

The Faded Sun by C J Cherryh, Science Fiction. This is a trilogy, but you can get it all in one book.

This is an all-time favourite of mine, and I'm gutted that I still can't get it on my Kindle!  I have the paperback, though, as it was one I brought with me when I moved after culling hundreds (probably) of books.

Brief description: a human man is on an alien world as an ambassador for peace. Peace breaks down, however, and he is kidnapped by the Mri, who take him on an epic journey back to their home world. During the journey, he converts to their way of life, and tries to become a warrior. He ends up brokering peace between Humans and the Mri. It's not as violent as that sounds - lots of background story of all characters, and peaceful interludes. I'm going to havs to reread it now!

The Girl In The Red Coat by Kate Hamer. Crime/Mystery.

I have just finished this one - recommended to me by my Aunt. It's about an 8 year old girl who is abducted by an American "preacher" when he hears of her healing abilities. The story goes back and forth between the mothers point of view and the girls. It is beautifully written, and is not traumatic. I won't spoil the end for you.

Thats two to kick off with. I could go on and on with favourite books, but I won't bore you. This is in addition to the book club for the avid readers amongst us. No discussion needed afterwards, unless you want to. Do join in, and post about your favourite, or just read, books. Hopefully, you might discover a new favourite book or genre.

Hugs. Barton.x