Book Recommendations

I’ll kick off. If I put the title, author and genre (eg Historical, Romance, Crime, Science Fiction), is that ok?

The Faded Sun by C J Cherryh, Science Fiction. This is a trilogy, but you can get it all in one book.

This is an all-time favourite of mine, and I’m gutted that I still can’t get it on my Kindle!  I have the paperback, though, as it was one I brought with me when I moved after culling hundreds (probably) of books.

Brief description: a human man is on an alien world as an ambassador for peace. Peace breaks down, however, and he is kidnapped by the Mri, who take him on an epic journey back to their home world. During the journey, he converts to their way of life, and tries to become a warrior. He ends up brokering peace between Humans and the Mri. It’s not as violent as that sounds - lots of background story of all characters, and peaceful interludes. I’m going to havs to reread it now!

The Girl In The Red Coat by Kate Hamer. Crime/Mystery.

I have just finished this one - recommended to me by my Aunt. It’s about an 8 year old girl who is abducted by an American “preacher” when he hears of her healing abilities. The story goes back and forth between the mothers point of view and the girls. It is beautifully written, and is not traumatic. I won’t spoil the end for you.

Thats two to kick off with. I could go on and on with favourite books, but I won’t bore you. This is in addition to the book club for the avid readers amongst us. No discussion needed afterwards, unless you want to. Do join in, and post about your favourite, or just read, books. Hopefully, you might discover a new favourite book or genre.

Hugs. Barton.x

Anyone that knows me will realise that I read trash as I like easy to read chill out stuff.
I have just finished :-
Anyone out there by Marian Keyes …it’s an old one but I found it easy going, witty and relaxing. Most of it is set in Ireland and very enjoyable.
Xx

Little coffee shop in Kabul by Deborah Rodríguez is worth a read

Xxx

I’m in the middle of reading “The girl with all the gifts” ,  by M R Carey.  A friend bought it for me,  not the sort of book I would pick up but it is fab and I cannot put it down!   

It’s set in the future in UK, and basically this fungus is taking over the humans, and using their bodies as hosts. It sounds a bit cliched but alll sorts of twists and turns and I don’t want it to end.  Never thought I’d love a story about flesh eating half humans so much! 

:-) 

I know this is so childish, but I have all the Harry Potter books! So I read those over again. I also like Lee Child…his books are really difficult to put down!

Moijan

This is agreat idea Barton! We could also share some cheese and wine as a group, whilst we read together!

Moijan

have just hugged you for getting this goingxx

I read all the Lee child’s books and loved them until they made the film …Tom cruise as Jack reacher was a joke …it needed Arnie or Jason Statham !
Hugs xx???

I’m too embarrassed to write here what I have been reading but think mills and boon and you are getting near !!
Oops …

Ssh confession time.
Just finished Adele parks …whatever it takes.
Set in Dartmouth ( our world) …loved it lovely story and easy to enjoy but very much a light read not for you avid readers …with zombies and plots !!
Hugs xx

Yes …it’s a very light read but the scene is all set around Dartmouth and I really enjoyed the book.
Xx

I don’t read much heavy stuff so mine is all fluffy …but just finished Rosie Hopkins . Sweet shop of dreams …Jenny Colgan.
It’s all about the penny chews and sweetys we had as kids !!!
Loved it.

One of my favourite authors is Margaret Forster. She was what you might call a literary novelist but at the same time her work is very readable. She wrote a lot about families and about women; she wrote novels and biographies and an autobiography - ‘My life in houses’. I would recommend, ‘Diary of an ordinary woman’ and ‘Hidden lives’. She had breast cancer in the 1970s and it returned in 2007. She died in February this year.

Margaret Forster in 1973.

Lee child’s books are all about a hunky man who is a bit of a detective, was a major in the usa army police corps. Lots of interesting crime mystery, but lots of description about bits of the usa. I find it addictive! Also he is almost as good as harry potter.Barton…ps id love a time turner !Moijanxx

Hiya …I read all the Lee child’s books too …one was very blood thirsty though.
Went off them when they made the film and had diddy Tom cruise as Jack reacher …they needed a beef cake like Arnie or Jason Statham …don’t u think ?

Hi Carolyn, old chemo brain cant recall the film tho am sure i would have seen itxx

Oh Barton, yes, of course we would…if you ever find a stockist…let me know!are any of you going to read the cursed child?

Hi all,
I’ve never read any Lee Childs books either but I’ve often been tempted to buy one in Tesco. So who knows.
My favourite author is Haruki Murakami. I just love his books. Many of his books ( my favourite ones) are ‘magic realist’ in that they are set for the most part in everyday life but they some ‘supernatural’ type scenes and have characters such as talking cats and sheep men. A bit of a warning though if any of you found the torture scene in A Town Like Alice’ hard to cope with then don’t read ‘The Wind up bird chronicle’ it isn’t a horror book but it contains one of the most shocking scenes I’ve ever read. Probably the best of his books as an introduction is ‘Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world’. Happy reading xxx

Yes Waffles im glad you mentioned wonderland as I was thinking of Alice when i started reading your post and spotted talking cats…may try it!

Hello I  mentioned ‘the cursed child’ by jk rowling earlier, apparently she only wrote it in play form, but our library keeps one copy and its out! Such a shame

i also searched for the cancer warrior, which someone recommended, cant recall who, but apprantly that is out of print. Has anyone here read that?

moijanxxx

Like water for chocolate

goodreads.com/book/show/6952.Like_Water_for_Chocolate

I replaced this book on the shelf yesterday when putting all the stuff back in our living room and remembered how much I’d enjoyed it