cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booster sessions

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Booster sessions

Hi Ellie's
It must be so good to be near the end of treatment. I've still 2 weeks to go before I start. It looks as if this type of rads will cease in the future. Oh, well........!

Hi Atat,I am a bit red but it's not too sore or anything,i do feel a bit nauseous and a bit tired ,nothing i can't handle.i have one session plus three booster next week then i'm finished.It takes about ten minutes each session most of which is the setting up time.i wish you well ,good luck. Love Elliesx

I think it must vary from place to place and patient to patient: my initial treatments took 10 mins each (plus 'getting you into position' time; the boosts were only 5 mins.  Not long enough to fall asleep! (I nearly nodded off during one of the early sessions...) Last one tomorrow!

Hi Atat

I had clear margins and no lymph involvement but had 5 booster sessions on top of the 15 normal ones.

The sessions were quite quick and at our unit, almost always on time unless a machine had broken down which only happened a couple of times while I was there. The actual 'treatment' only took about 5 minutes but I was generally on the table for about 20 mins in total as it can sometimes take a while to get you into the right position (I seemed to be particularly awkward with this bit!). The best advice I can give you for this bit is to totally play dead - do not try to move yourself on the table to help them, the movements they will need are so tiny and they are experts at doing it, so just let yourself go and they will 'mould' you to where they need you.

Lu x

Thanks Ellies. That's good to hear.
I've still another 2 and bit weeks to go. How are you finding it? How long does each session take, roughly?

Atat

Hi Atat,i had a clear margin and no node involvment and i am half way through radiotherapy,i am to have 15 sessions plus i am to have 3 boosters sessions at the tumour site,i think this is quite usual.Good luck .Hope all goes well Love Ellies x

I am relieved to hear of the underarm problems - I have the same but haven't mentioned it as I thought it was all due to the lymph node clearance (my onc says the various odd feelings could take 2-3 years to resolve!)

But I guess it makes sense that an area that is already compromised will be affected by the rads. I am certainly putting the moisturising gel well into the underarm, but that doesn't stop it feeling stiff and sore, much more than the breast area. But the threatened tiredness has yet to strike: I must admit the steps in the tube station are a little steeper than they were a couple of weeks ago, but nothing like the cliff face during chemo - I would drag myself up them clinging on to the hand rail for dear life! And any lethargy at present is I am sure entirely due to the hot weather, which I hate!

I also had WLE with clear margins, 15th rad tomorrow, then 5 boosters starting Tuesday. I have moisturised twice a day and my skin does appear slightly red at times but is not sore. I also have has mild underarm discomfort which I have been told is quite normal.

Thanks. That's very encouraging to hear. Sounds as if you've had very few effects too?
Atat

I've just finished 15 rads with 5 boosts to come this week. WLE had clear margins first time round, so presumably they're just scheduling them to be on the safe side (TNBC). The whole process is pretty painless (literally) so far so I'm not complaining!

Thanks. I needed to re-excision of my margins, was told they were now OK, but perhaps not ! or oncologist being on safe side
Atat

Hi Atat
I had a Wle for my dcis and was told I would have 25 rads and two boosters. I asked about boosters and was told that my margins were too close and hence the boosters.
Next time you see your onc ask about it.
Take care

Booster sessions

Hi everyone

Having originally been told I'd have 15 sessions of rads (at hospital where I had my op. By breast care nurse), I've now been told (at hospital where I'm having rads) that I'll have an additional 3 booster session to area where cancer was.
How common is this, is it just up to the different oncologists?
Atat