Bopsy today

I found a lump and went to doc’s on 05/06 … I recieved a phonecall to go to breast clinic. My appointment was today, the frst doctor i saw said it was a ‘suspect’ lump and sent me for a mammogram, went from there to a scan where a second consultant said due to the suspect nature of the lump they were going to do a biopsy there and then. He then went on to say he had checked my lymph nodes which looked okay. I have to go on 21st June for results.

Understandably I am very scared but have made the decision not to share this info with my family until I know what I am dealing with.

Has anone else had this type of conversation with consultants without them giving a definite diagnosis, also has anyone else delayed telling family members as I am unsure when or how much to share with my elderley parents and 25 and 20 year old children.

Just to add I am not alone in dealing with this my husband is fully aware of whats going on and was at the appointment with me.

I would appreciate your thoughts and thank you xxx

Hi Sue - yep, had almost the exact same scenario as you, although a few months ago now.  They did biopsy, ultra sound etc and sent me on my way.  At the next appointment they were able to tell me exactly what they had found (stage/type etc) and how they planned to deal with it.  It was a big shock.  Like you, I didn’t share the news with my elderly parents or children until I knew what I was definitely dealing, and had got my own head around it.  I was then able to tell them, knowing what I was expecting to face - no what ifs. By this point I’d read everything there was to read, (from this site) so was well informed, and had time to talk with nurse.  

I hated worrying my family, but they were great.  My parents (in their 80s) did what they could to help, and wanted to be involved, afterall in their eyes, I’m still their girl (i’m in my late 50s).  My offspring were brilliant - they coped differently but all rallied, taking turns to come to appts, bra shopping, cooking, generally keeping my spirits up.  

I really hope that you get good news on the 21st ( must seem an age away) and that you have nothing to worry about.  Having said that, if you are to join this club, don’t panic - my experience, is that you’ll be very, very well looked after.  Try not to go to exploring on the Internet - this is the best place - everything you want or need to know is on this site.  Whatever your news, there will be someone on the forum who has already trod that path, and will be able to support you.  Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for replying I think the worst part is the waiting I am an optimistic person and am sure I will deal with whatever is thrown at me. I am 50 and my parents are 75 I think I just needed a little reassurance that I am doing the right thing by not sharing with my loved ones just yet x

Thank you Patricia your comments are much appreciated x

SueW

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum where you will get loads of support

Keep in mind that even if a biopsy has been done, it does not definitely mean that it is cancer, but IF it is the treatment and prognosis these days is very good.

It is quite normal for them to do this as they can not be really certain of what they are dealing with until the biopsy is tested.  I had two lots of biopsies as they could not be certain from the first one, they told me they were happy with how my lymph nodes looked but wanted to be certain before they “sent me on my way”.  The 2nd lot confirmed it was bc but at a very early stage and as it turned out very small.  I didnt even find a lump it was found at my routine 3 yearly scan.

I didnt tell my mum or brother until I had my results from my op, 6 weeks later, as my mum is elderly 84 and lives quite far away from me and I wanted to make sure that when I told her, I knew exactly what I was dealing with and could tell her what happened from there on in.  My boyfriend, work and friends obviously knew.  Mum was not very happy with me but she eventually understood.

Just try and keep busy to distract yourself, dont google widely as there is a lot of out of date and misinformation out there.

Let us know how you get on.

Helena xxx

Hi Helena thank you for your response it is really appreciated x makes me feel better to know others have made the same decision as me with regards to direct family though my sister knows as she is one of my best friends so I am not coping with waiting alone x

I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best but thank you all. I am obviously anxious however truly appreciate all your kind words and sincerely thank you for responding x