Botox to relax muscle after reconstruction

Hello

i had a mastectomy last summer and reconstruction using muscle from my back.  I have ongoing issues with constant tightness and my breast jerks to one side unless my arm is relaxed.  Saw my surgeon today and he suggested botox injections to relax the muscle.  I am concerned as I know botox is a poison and have just read that it can spread from where it is injected to other areas of the body.  I would love to not have this “jerking breast” but wonder if it’s worth the risk.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for reading

Julia

Hi Julia, 

I am sorry you are going through this concern and I am sure some of our users will be along soon to offer their support.

In the meantime please do call our helplineat 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about botox and surgery while offering a friendly ear.

The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hello  Julia,

I don’t have a jerking breast but I do have a twitchy eye! I have had botox injections around  my eye to relax the twitching muscles. It didn’t  work but I wouldn’t worry about the use of botox.  It’s really common for people with other neurological issues such as cerebral palsy to have the injections. It’s very low doses and there are very few side effects.