Bra problems after lumpectomy advice please!

Hi,
Hope someone can give me some advice, I have been wearing sports bras since ops and recently bought a very pretty bra as a treat.
Tried it on and was shocked to see that my ops boob looks distinctly smaller than the other side, now I don’t have large breasts in fact they are rather small so I assume for margins etc I had a lot of tissue removed. I didn’t realise there was such a difference, I know rads can cause some shrinkage too. If anyone has any advice it would be gratefully appreciated.
PS Bought a padded bra yesterday and had to return, looked awful, don’t want to wear sports bras forever xx

You may be able to get a partial prosthesis - a bit like a chicken fillet to fill the empty space in your bra. Best advice I can give is to ring your BCN and see what she suggests. My nurse is brilliant, hope yours is too.

Thank you supertrouper, didn’t even think about doing that! xx

Hi Katytc

It would be a good idea to chat to your Breast care nurse. I thought i was going to have the same problem initially but its not as bad as I first thought. Your BC nurse can help solve the problem so that you get good look wearing bra.

How long since your surgery

Lots of love POPPY

poppy, it’s 9 months since last op, didn’t really notice in the summer, but certainly do now! xx

Kaytc

Its difficult as if you are like me you look at it more sometimes than others. I feel its important to be able to wear the sort of bras that you enjoy wearing. I am sure you can resolve it.

love POPPY x

Hi there,

I had a lumpectomy in 2002 and found that the service in Debenhams was very helpful in the bra department. Usually at least 1 or 2 staff are trained to help in such circumstances. It seemed to me that it boiled down to what the bra was made of and the fit. (meaning how much was left baggy on the op side) The fully padded ones are a no go as they are so rigid, good I suppose if you did get a chicken fillet. Yje ones the lady recommended were the soft material, underwired with a raised bit of lace, material as decoration as that didn’t bagg like the rigid ones. Its a bit trial and error if you want one off the cuff buth this lady seemed to have all the time in the world and I must have tried on a bout 20 bras before selecting about 3 that were bery pretty and didn’t bagg in the offending area. So I tend to stick with these types of bras and I never buy before i have tried, which leads to dissapointment if when you get it home its horrid…

Sorry can’t be much help otherwise, its just finding a professional willing to help. Good luck in your search, there is nothing nicer than feeling you are dressed corectly underneath too, to give you confidence.

Clare xxx

Thank you Clare, feel a bit shy still bearing all, but will have to get over it. My daughter works at one of the stores mentioned so will have to try the other one! If they don’t have a service I will ask BCN xx

Hi I wasn’t so keen on bearing all and from what I recall she went out everytine i tried one on.

Clare xxx

Hi I wasn’t so keen on bearing all and from what I recall she went out everytine i tried one on.

Clare xxx

Clare, when they measured you did you have your clothes on then? xx

I had same problem and was fitted with prosthesis which slips inside my bra and looks so natural and is comfortable as well don’t notice its there so contact your bcn who will refer you.I found staff at M&s were very helpful and so nice I didn’t feel embarrassed at all as they are trained to be discreet xx

Hi Katytc
I had lumpectomy just at the point where the underwire finished under the arm and it has been trial and error to get comfy bras. Initially I worried about the sales assistants when I was being fitted but in the bigger stores of M&S, Debenhams etc they do have trained staff. I also found La Senza very good so it’s a shame they have gone under. Incase you wern’t aware Matalan and Asda also do post surgery bras at very reasonable prices. The worst thing I found was that expensive bras looked OK and felt Ok when I stood in the changing room but when I tried to wear them for a couple of hours they turned out to be totally unsuitable and then I couldn’t take them back. After one or two expensive mistakes I now stick to supermarket and chain store stock.
It is a case of trial and error I’m afraid but you soon become quite adept at picking the right shape, material and in my case flexibility of the wires.
Good hunting
Regards Chinnok

thank you jmr and chinook, my scar is exactly where the underwire sits, thats why I have been just wearing the sports bras they are so comfy, but if you are wearing something pretty the large straps don’t look too good. When I tried on the 2 new bras, underwired the difference was noticeable at the cleavage area.
I really appreciate the advice as I dont want to end up with a stockpile of pretty bras that I’ll never be able to wear, nobody tells you anything about these changes will just have to pluck up the courage now xx

Hiya,
I can’t recall at anytime being totally exposed as like you I felt very vunerable about the operation area and just the whole thing of feeling uncomfortable.
If its any concelation you actually can’t see any scaring now, its invisable unless you look really hard. The most you will notice is the skin change from the radio therapy all those years ago.

Hope this helps and you have a good experience when you go

Clare xxx

Hi again Katytc
This is one of my hobby horses since surgery to be honest. When I was going through what I call the transitional stage I use to have a chunter at any poor Sales Assistant who would listen about the lack of pretty non wired bras. I remember shocking one when she pointed out the very grim selection of non wired bras in a Contessa store. I asked her if she’d like to try seducing someone in what she had to offer. I have to say things are slightly better in this area now. I never buy a bra now that has a ridgid underwire and go round departments boinging wires to find the most flexible. You would me amazed how much they vary. Be careful though and “boing” the correct size as what seems flexible in a small size may not be as flexible in a larger size.
happy boinging
Chinook

Just wanted to say a big thank you ladies, plucked up the courage and went into M&S on Sun.
Results very pretty bra, wonderful sales assistant so helpful and discreet.
Came out of store with a spring in my step, hope this helps anyone else who is feeling a bit shy.
Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated xx

Hi - just wanted to add to this thread. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in October 2010 and then the first stage of reconstruction in November 2011 and was told to wear sports bras which are comfortable but i wanted something pretty and didn’t want a wired bra. I found the lady in M&S very unhelpful so went to British Home Stores where I found they stock a wide range of non-wired bras at very reasonable prices and i bought 2 very pretty ones with matching pants too! It makes me feel so much more normal to have nice underwear again! Xx

I saw an advert for a “genie bra” today on the telly.

Does anyone have any experience of these? They did look quite comfy and appear to be a “one size fits all”.

£40 for three - black, white and nude.

Coza

Hi Coza,
I purchased a pack of Genie bras and they are absolutely super and very comfy and they can be worn with or without the pads they suupply you with. The only thing is that they have wider straps (like a sports bra) so if you wanted to wear something pretty it might be an issue. But they are really good and I believe that BHS also sell them. Hope this helps.

Lisa