Brain Mets - Please help x

Hi,

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2008 which had spread to her chest, rib, lung and back. Mum started with radiotherapy on breast then was put on tamoxifen. In November 2008 oncologist decided to start herceptin combined with docitaxel but had allergic reaction to docitaxel so started oral chemo instead. Remains on herceptin with routine scans, cancer in body has remained stable.

However, 3 months ago mum started feeling dizzy, had tunnel vision and constant headaches. Doctor just gave her painkillers to help headache. She then started vomiting daily. Doctor just prescribed anti-sickness tablets.

Mum was so fed up, we went back to doctor and they put her in for a full ct scan including head.

Scan was on Monday, doc called on tuesday to see her urgently. They have found 2 spots on the brain. She is starting radiotherapy on Monday for 10 days.

I’m so scared. I’m 21, Mum is 58 - shes my best friend and I feel sick at the thought of losing her. Work has given me the next few weeks off to support her.

Has anyone else experienced brain mets? Is there hope?

Ruth x

Dear Ruth

I am sorry to read the news about your Mum and can appreciate that you are feeling scared, please do call our helpliners, they can offer you further support at this worrying time for you. The lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2 and are here to provide you with information and a listening ear.

Take care
Lucy

Really sorry to hear about your Mum and I’ve sure the helpline will be able to help you.
There are treatments for brain tumours - some of the latest radiotherapy treatments like Gammaknife and Cyberknife are now available in some NHS hospitals so you might like to look into those as possibilities to explore.
I’m sure others will be along soon with messages to help you
Take care
Fran

Ruth
I am very sorry to hear about your Mum, you are understandably worried, there is a website that is exclusively about brain secondaries, on this there are inspirational stories to give you some hope! brainmetsbc.org

Take care xx

Ruth
I was diagnosed with brain mets 2 years ago along with liver and lung mets. I have had 2 ops and 2 lots of radiotheraphy and although the treatment is very tough I am still here and have no symptoms from my brain mets. There are treaments available so I hope you and your mum will feel more positive.
Louise

Thanks for the replies girls!

I’ve passed the helpline info onto my mum Lucy so that may be a great support to us, thank you for that.

Thanks Fran, I have looked up gammaknifes etc and have lots of questions for oncologist at next appointment!

Thanks Nikki, have had a look at website and it is extremely helpful!

Louise, I’ve sent you a private message to see if you can give me some more info on your experience, really glad u posted. Thank you

xxxxxxxxx