Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brain radiation after surgery

6 REPLIES 6
Wensteed

Re: Brain radiation after surgery

Hello Hilsy,

Thanks for your update on your targeted radiotherapy.  I'm still waiting to hear from the Oncologist if

I will be given radiotherapy and if it will be WBRT or targeted.  It seems they have to discuss and agree it in the weekly MDT meeting so all members of the medical team have a say. I'm now on a hormone suppressant drug (Letrozole) which hopefully should prevent recurrence of the brain met as they now know it has mutated from Triple Negative (original BC) to ER positive.  I suspect this is why the chemo I was put on wasn't effective in preventing it returning, but the Oncologist won't support this theory. The Neuro Surgeon said he took some extra margin of brain tissue around the brain met this time so we are hopeing there will be no recurrence, although he did say if it was in the same place he can get it out again ! I'm seeing breast surgeon tomorrow for discussion on having full axially clearance (lymph node clearance) as the Cyber Knife(stereotatic radiotherapy) is not an option for the lymph whilst I have two remaining mets.  In some respects I'm not keen as there is risk of lymphodema later, but in other respects I just want the darn things out to prevent further spread !  It is a worry currently as I've not been on chemo since 27th June as it was not reducing the mets. 

Keep me posted on how you are doing once your radiotherapy finishes.

I agree its all very scary stuff, but I can recommend sending off for a DVD/CD from "The Haven"

cancer support website. It has some great meditation sessions which I've found very helpful and some

tips for nutrition and wellbeing.

Take care,

Wx

Lakeslover

Hi,

My husband had stereotactic radiotherapy to a brain met 10 days ago. So far he has had very few side effects, just something h describes as a "muzzy" head, and a little short term memory loss.

Hilsy

I hadn't finished sorry! Has your oncologist told you about any likeliness of return, prognosis etc? It's all very scary isn't it. Hope you're coping ok x
Hilsy

Hi belinda thanks I'll have a look at that site. Hi Wensteed sorry to hear about the return of your tumour. So pleased they could so surgery again and good idea to have radiotherapy there to clear up any seeds. I see that most people seem to have WBRT but I was offered to have targeted as it was only one met, just as a precaution. I had 10 sessions, each consisted of 30 second 'zap' each side of my head for the one tumour and that was it! You feel and experience nothing. You wear a mask that they make that holds you still which would be the worst bit I suppose but i didn't mind it and they're as quick as possible for you to not be in it long. A few hours after each zap I would feel nauseous and even a week after it's finished I'm not sick but appetite not quite right and feel more tired than usual but not too bad. On the days I was zapped I would sleep for 2 to 3 hours and gave into rest it but I'm about a week away from my last session and not too bad. I didn't really experience headaches or swelling. It depends where in your brain it is etc and everyone is different but it's very doable. My tumour was in The cerebellum which controls balance etc so I wonder if that's why I get the nausea coz it's stuff going on there maybe making me a bit travel sock or something?! Has your pnc
Wensteed

Hello Hilsy,

I hope you are are doing ok !

Just wondering how you were doing after your brain radiotherapy and if you had WBRT or targeted ?

I may have some brain radiotherapy following a 2nd surgery I had in July. Unfortunately the original

brain met returned (in the exact same place), but fortunately I was able to have surgery again. This time I'm keen to get some radiotherapy to ensure nothing is left behind but I'm not sure of the side effects. Any info you can give would be appreciated on how you coped with it and what side effects you experienced.

Many thanks

W

x

belinda

Hello Hilsy, good luck with your treatment. I don't, as far as I know, have brain mets but friends who have had treatment have found it tiring. Have you visited this site?
http://brainmetsbc.org/
X
Hilsy

Brain radiation after surgery

Hi there I'm finding it hard to get experiences of side effects of targeted radiation to where a my tumour was after surgery. 3 weeks ago I had a 2.7cm tumour and margin removed from the cerebellum part of my brain and I am to have 10 sessions of radiotherapy at 1-2 minutes duration each. As it's only 10 sessions and now whole brain radiotherapy I was wondering how bad side effects and tiredness are usually? Will they be milder for only 10 sessions? And because it's only part of the brain? I can only find experiences about wbr or targeted radiotherapy that goes on for weeks. I would be most grateful and send positive thoughts and supportive hugs to all us brain mets peeps x