cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brain tumour and migraines

5 REPLIES 5
Hilsy

Re: Brain tumour and migraines

Hi Wendy! I had rt 1 month after surgery and found it fine, 30 seconds either side of my head to target the one place where the tumour went for 10 days. I found on the day I would be tired and sleep lots and feel nausea starting a few hours after but no headaches really. The migraine aura began a few weeks after though I was having kits in a stressful week full of tears. I'm now on 0.5mg steroid and only has 1 migraine since and that was coz I cried soooooo much the previous day so it seems crying causes swelling in my already healing head thus migraine. I hope your side effects from rt are very minimal. The travelling and hanging around is the worst but of it but like you say it's reassuring that it's done as extra precaution. Take care good luck, Hils x
Wensteed

Hi Hilsy,

Just wondering how you are feeling now after being on steriods and if your headaches/aura have

subsided ?

I'm due to have targeted radiotherapy, similar to you, for 10 sessions in the next week or so. Its

been six weeks since my surgery, but probably 8 weeks by the time I have the RT.

How long after your brain surgery did you have your radiotherapy sessions?

I had my axially clearance surgery 2.5 weeks ago and will have precautionary radiotherapy on my

neck once the surgery has healed.  Then a full body / brain scan to see how things are behaving.

I'm feeling a bit nervous, but also relieved the RT is being done as a precaution (particularly as the

brain tumour grew back again).

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum ... what an awful thing to have to deal with on top of your own health

issues. I hope she is coping ok.

Take care,

Wendy

Hilsy

Hi Sarah thanks and sorry you still get headaches. I spoke to my Macmillan nurse and she spoke to my oncologist and they're both in agreement it's probably all due to firstly upset as my mums very poorly, just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and due to the head still settling from surgery and then radiotherapy and don't seem concerned about anything else. They've out me on a short term small dose of steroids again to see if it helps. Hate the bloody things but if it means going a few days without flashing lights, blindness, etc I don't care! Still hard coming to terms with the diagnosis and not knowing whether it be months or years till the next tumour decides to emerge. Hope you're coping ok with everything. I'm going through a low phase but think it's due to tiredness through everything. Take care, Hils x
Olives

Hi Hilsy. As you know I had brain met removed in March this year but I didn't have radio after. I did get headaches after the operation but not as severe as the ones you are getting. I wouldn't think that the tumour has re grown so quickly especially while you are getting radiotherapy but perhaps the radiotherapy is causing them. I would definitely contact your team to let them know as they do sound very severe. Please let me know how you get on. Sending hugs as I know it must be very scary but all the medical team are there to help. Sarah x
2catlady

Hi,Hilsy,I'm so sorry I can't help you . Hopefully someone with experience on brain mets can offer you some advice. Have you rang bcc helpline? They are fab. Or a BCN or GP. Someone to stop you worrying and put your mind at rest.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Hilsy

Brain tumour and migraines

Hi I had a brain tumour removed a few weeks ago and ended targeted radiotherapy on that spot 3 weeks ago. I've started having migraines with aura and had 5 in the last 7 days. My neck is stiff which could be the cause but im worried a new brain tumour could be growing and causing these, or could it be possible the radiation is still doing it's thing and causing these? Any similar experiences? The aura usually happens for about an hour...flashing lights, blind spots, sometimes numb hand, sometimes can't talk properly for a while. Thanks lots x