Breast cancer - the needy child!

Recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Early diagnosis, wonderful treatment - can’t praise the Leeds breast care team enough. Just avoided chemo, but about to begin radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Biggest challenge minimising impact on 3 and 6 year old children. EEk. It’s been a ride!

Hi paged,

I don’t know if you’ve seen BCC’s publication ‘Mummy’s lump’, it’s aimed at the younger children. For your free copy just follow the link below.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/mummys-lump-bcc164

Also the link to the area of this website where talking to children about your diagnosis is discussed.

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/relationships-family/telling-family-friends/talking-children-about-breast-cancer

Hope you find it helpful. Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Dear Jo,
Thank you so much. It was a very helpful read. You have a wonderful website.

Kind regards
Deborah

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with BC in october last year, when my daughter was 2 and half. She’s just turned 3 and loves the Mummy’s Lump book. A kind volunteer at St James Hospital gave me it and at first I thought my daughter was too young, so I missed out certain bits. I’ve lost all my hair and had a mastectomy and it hasn’t really bothered her. She’s very bright for her age and asks loads of questions which i try to answer honestly but without scaring her. i told her things like the medicine will make my hair fall out but will make my poorly booby better and that i will look like humpty dumpty with no hair, which she laughs about. The book really was a help. good luck and if you can laugh try and make a joke out of it. i found that really helps and when they laugh, hopefully you will. believe me, it does get easiar.
Andrea.x

Dear Andrea,
Thank you so much for kind words. I managed to get a copy of the Mummy’s lump book and it has been great. The kids are so robust - I think I was more anxious than them. My daughters main concern was that I wouldn’t get cold taking my top off in the hospital ! I hope that your treatment and recovery are going well. I have just been so lucky to get his early. The team at St James’ are just wonderful aren’t they.
Deborah x

Hiya Deborah
Glad you are all doing well(though still in shock, I imagine). Nothing seems to faze little one’s. They just ask questions and then get on with it. The breast care team/chemo/oncology are just fantastic. Im lucky to live in Leeds, so don’t have far to travel. Had mastectomy 3 weeks ago and recovering well. Im due to start radiotherapy in about 3 weeks. Just waiting date. Mine hadn’t spread to lymph nodes but I had 2 lumps so had to have mastectomy, but so far the reconstruction looks good. Just worried the rads might cause damage. Also started tamoxifen 10 days ago. Ive been dreading starting this with side effects, but so far Im ok.
Good luck with everything. Maybe our paths will cross in the radiotherapy unit. Let your family and friends do as much as they can to support you. The only down side to little one’s is that its hard to rest sometimes. get as much rest when they are not home.
Andrea.x

Hi Andrea,
Good luck with the recovery! Luckily didn’t need sucha big op myself. SNL was the most limiting afterwards but no pain from either of the ops. Agree with the rest when you can. It’s the cancer that I referr to as the ‘needy child’ as there so many appointments - feel like I’m taking root at St James’ - if I’m not there for work, I’m there for treatmet! See oncologist next week Tues at breast clinic and assume we crack on with the radiotherapy thereafter. Have several contatcs in the radiotherapy dept so feel very reassured (shocked one of them to death when i turned up for an MRI as hadn’t told anybody other than close family! I hadn’t made the connection between MRI and radiotherapist or it may have occured to me I’d bump into somebody I know). As you say, maybee our paths will cross at the radiotherapy - shout you to a coffee! (have sent you a msge)x