Breast clinic - young and scared

I saw my GP on wednesday after finding a lump in my left breast. My breasts are small (32A) and the lump is relatively large so I don’t know how I didn’t notice it before. It’s very obvious now and that breast is noticeably bigger as a result.

He has referred my to the breast clinic, I was wondering how long it normally takes for an appointment to come through?

He tried to reassure me that because I am so young it’s most likely going to be a fibroadenoma but there is a strong family history of bc and he mentioned that too. I’m quite worried about it. He said that this does increase my risk and suggested after initial scans i have a lumpectomy so they can run a full biopsy.

It doesn’t help that I live alone away from home at university! It’s all very daunting and scary

(Thank you to the person that replied before…I tried to edit the name of the thread but it disappeared so I had to reports it. Sorry)

Morning,
Sorry you havnt yet had a reply, so although Im very different to you in age etc, I have been where you are and feeling confused scared and helpless.
I also had a fibrodenoma about four years before I had BC, although they are NOT related, so please dont let this worry you. These are a common breast condition-sometimes called ‘breast mouse’ as they are kinda moveable. You are doing absolulety the right thing by getting it investigated. There is a waiting time target of 2 weeks for getting the first appt with the BC clinic. You may be lucky and go to one which does the whole range of tests as well as give you the results on the same day. The lumpectomy woudnt happen that day-this would only be after a diagnosis- and what you may be thinking of is a biopsy where they use a very simple little gadget to ‘nip’ a little a tiny sample if they are concerned.
Its not easy if you are away from home, Id suggest you call the number on this site on Monday where you can talk to very understanding and informative staff who can answer your questions.
Age isnt a barrier to BC Im afraid, and if there is a history in your family, youve done the very best thing as early diagnosis is often the key to a good outcome-Im proof of that !!!
Really hope all ends well on this scary journey.
Cathie x

Hi E_841 and welcome to the BCC forums

As Cathie has mentioned, BCC have a helpline which is open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call to talk through your concerns on 0808 800 6000

You may find the following link to the BCC ‘Worried’ page useful, here you will find more information along with a booklet called ‘Your breast clinic appointment’ which you can read/downoad to find out what to expect:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm\_source=promo\_content&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=worried

Take care

Lucy

Hiya, I didn’t want to read and run. I’m a younger woman with a breast cancer diagnosis, but my diagnosis was nearly three years ago now and I was 36 then, so young in breast cancer terms but positively ancient compared to you! however, I just wanted to say well done on having the lump checked out and knowing your body enough to spot the lump, and you seem to have an excellent GP as, in my experience, younger women often face hurdles in even being referred to the breast clinic but your GP is super proactive, so you sound like you are in safe hands. The wait is usually two weeks maximum in England, so you should be seen soon. the wait is very very hard, all the ladies here understand that, but we’ve been there ourselves so will help you as much as we can. The chances are that it is a benign lump, most breast lumps are, so try and focus on getting good news as that is the likeliest outcome for you. Don’t be worried by the amount of girls on here who did get breast cancer as a diagnosis because it’s only the ones who did that carry on posting, all the rest are off enjoying their lives! Take care and keep in touch,

Vickie
X

Thank you both for your replies :slight_smile:

I have had a letter through saying my GP referred me for an urgent appointment and my imaging appointment (for the ultrasound) is on the 28th so only 8 days after I saw my doctor. But my clinic appointment isn’t until 11th April… anoth 7 weeks time, is it normal to have to wait so long? I will just worry for the whole of that time and I know they will phone me if there is anything bad but I don’t think I can wait that long?

hi can someone please help me im 24 and have been in and out of hospital for 3 years due to a lump in my breast i was told it was nothing basically however i know my own body this year i was refered back to the breast hospital and my consultant put me on a drug called tamoxifen now of course the drug is linked with breast cancer but can also be used as a hormone drug but its confusing as my consultant was a bit panicy at the fact that my last doctor said to leave it but ive had no blood tests taken and no further scans but insisted i had to take tamoxifen im really confused! has anyone else been through the same thing or any advise would be appreciated! xx

Hello pinkswan

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

<address>Hello all, I am also new to the forum. I’m 29 and have two children, my son is nearly 5 and my daughter is 2 and a half. I’ve just joined this chat as I have been experiencing pain in my left breast and armpit area for about 6 months, in Nov 2012 I went to see my GP. She felt a small pea sized lump in my left breast but said she was pretty sure it was a breast mouse (fibrodenoma) she said they generally do not cause pain though and wanted to monitor the situation until after my next period.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>I went back in december with the same pain and she said she couldnt find the lump (I could find it when I got home though) Se said to try not to worry as the pain was probably just hormonal and stress related. (I have had a rather stressful time lately) Can stress be related to breast pain?? My doc sent me away again and said to go back if the pain persisted. The pain in a dull ache and sometimes comes and goes as a stinging pain,if I pick the children up and they bang into my left breast it is agony.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>I went back to the doctors 2 weeks ago as the pain is still persisting and made the bad mistake of googling my symptons and totally freaked myself out. I saw a different GP this time as my doc was on holiday and she said she could feel a small lump, she also said she thought it would be a breast mouse but due to its shape and texture but as the pain was persisting that I should be referred to my local breast clinic. I was hoping that she would say she couldnt feel the lump and not to worry and it would just go away. I wouldnt be so worried if it was both breasts but because its just one I feel petrified.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>I can totally sympathise with how scared you are feeling E_841 as I am terrified, luckily my apointment came through really quickly and I go on thurs 28th, this week has dragged by so slowly, trying to keep busy but just keep thinking ‘what if’ and worrying its something awful.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>I hope you get your appointment through soon E-841 x</address>
<address> </address>
<address>I lost my dad to lung cancer, he was only 49, I think that doesnt help me on the worrying front. He was so well and within 8 weeks he had passed away. I just feel so worried its something bad. Keep crying one minute and the next telling myself to snap out of it, but its so hard. Cant seem to see past thurs, worried as well what will happen at the clinic.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>Sorry to go on, just wondered if anyone had any advice to get through this worrying time x</address>

Hi Linzilou

It sounds like you’re having a pretty tough time at the moment. As June mentioned in the post above BCC have a helpline where you can talk things through with a trained member of staff. Here you share your feelings and concerns with some one who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support.

The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thanks so much Sam BCC, going to stay off google and just try and stay as positive and not worry if possible until my appointment. Thanks for the info on the helpline.
Linzi