cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast oedema , sore breast after treatment ends

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Breast oedema , sore breast after treatment ends

I get lymphoedema in my surgery breast too. I used to leave my bra off, but discovered that a tight sport bra (NOT a strong underwire bra) actually helps. Ithink it squeezes some of the fluid out. I also massage firmly from the nipple to the edge of my breast and this helps. Surgery was Oct 2007. Can actually sleep on that side now!
good luck , Zoe

Highlighted

Hi there Sarah 66

After radiotherapy finished, it was the Breast Cancer Nurse who noticed I had breast Odaema (I went to see her as my lymph nodes were up, I was worried, but she said it was fine and reasured me). My breast was always much warmer than the other and heavier, larger with indentations after sleeping or taking bra off. She arranged for me to have several 30 minutes session with a lymph drainage expert who massaged my breast area, front, back and tummy to help stimulate the other nodes to take the latent lymph. It was a very pleasant and I think it helped. I also was shown how to use a soft bristle brush before showering, to stroke my skin toward my "good breast"!

It is two years on now and all swelling has reduced. I make sure I don't carry very heavy things on my affected side and if I have any injections or blood pressure taken, I make sure it is in my "good side". You will still get some pain from your breast from the radiotherapy for a while longer. Just take it easy and as each week goes by you will get stronger.

I would expect your consultant to reccommended for you to have some lymph drainage massage. If you are, then take it and enjoy being pampared!

Good luck

Highlighted

Hi Sarah

You can search recent threads on breast oedema by typing it into the 'search' facility at the top of this page, this may be useful in addition to Mole's helpful input.
Best wishes
Lucy

Highlighted

my breast swelled up after radiotherapy and for about three years afterwards it continued to be swollen, it seems to be more back to normal now. I was advised to massage aqueous cream into it twice a day for six months which was quite pleasant - not sure it made much difference though. I had the same symptoms as you, i.e. my bra caused indentations and it was bigger than the other one. I also had an infection pre radio though, which caused by breast to go hard and square looking which was a bit bizarre

I'm five years on now and it looks different, Under the armpit I have an indentation where the tumour was removed, and you can see where they took out a wedge shaped bit of my bosom above the nipple. I can't say I'm delighted by it all. I'd rather not have had surgery. I asked for reconstruction before I had it and was poo pood

Mole

Highlighted

Breast oedema , sore breast after treatment ends

Hi has anyone developed breast oedema after treatment had ended?

I have a very red and at times sore breast, with indentations in after i take my bra off. I am unable to sleep on my right side (lumpectomy side). At times it is ok then the next minute it goes very red and painful.

Was treated for an infection but on referral to breast consultant he seems to think it is oedema, what is the treatment for this i am due to see him on 14th jan, i understand this is a long term condition

Anyone had similar and how have you managed???

Just when i was trying to get back to 'normal'

Lets hiop this year is better for us alll, Goodbye to 2008!

Regards
Sarah66