Breast pain

I was diagnosed 10 days ago with invasive ductal breast cancer 4cm lump and am due for surgery and lymph node thingy on 2nd sept. I think it’s stage 2, but I don’t think I’ve been told, just what I’ve read. Is three weeks between diagnosis and surgery normal? Also today my breast has been throbbing with some sharp pains, is hasn’t hurt before, could this coincidence or the cancer?

Hi Sissors and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read about your recent diagnosis, I am posting a couple of links to BCC publications which may help you to understand more about what to expect and further support available from BCC:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/82/

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/younger-women/

Our helpline is open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000, please feel free to call for further support and information.

Take care
Lucy

hi,

welcome to the club. sorry you have to join, but you have found a nice bunch of poeple.

Surgery times can vary from area to area, and according to when surgeons are on holiday. so I think three weeks is not an unusual time.

Pains can be caused by two things. If you had a biopsy, it might look small, but the breast pulls itself together when healing it up inside. Or once you know you have a lump you do tend to hold yourself a bit differently and that can make you use different muscles.

three bits of advice. First unless you are quite small, get yourself a good well fitted sports bra with seperate cups. Get it fitted so that there is room to let it out in the back so that it is comfortable. I wore it 24/7 after the op. I wish i had bought two–one to wash and one to wear.

Second down load (or ring the help line up and order) the excercises you have to do after the op. If you do them before hand you condition your muscles. Its my theory that you then heal better afterwards. and at least you know the exercises so can start them on day one.

And the third is, stop googling now you have found this site. You will scare yourself to death. Lots of the info out there is innacurate and out of date. Come on here and ask questions or just chat.

Hi Sissors,

I can’t add anything more to OAL (she is very wise & supportive) but I can say that I had a core biopsy which throbbed, nagged and was irratated for the three weeks until I had my WLE and SNB (don’t worry you’ll pick the lingo up in no time!) - but as soon as I’d had it, the pain disappeared!

I’m so sorry that you’ve joined the club (no one wants to be here, but they are a fantastic bunch of peeps!). If you need anything just shout up but whatever you do - DON’T Google!

Love

Axx

My tumour was painful as well (4cm as well). Especially after all the needles etc.

The pain stopped very quickly after I started chemo and it started to shrink.

i walked into my docs and said ‘i have a lump and its painful’ she replied ’ well it wont be cancer then because you don’t get pain with BC’ … 2 years down the breast cancer road i would just say to anyone, breast cancer lumps do give pain…mine was like little electric shocks…i had this for couple of months before i noticed the lump…was even worse after biopsy’s etc…hope that helps x

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with BC too and start my chemo next wednesday.

If my lump had not hurt then I would never have found it so am very glad it did. My dr also told me that it was not cancer because of the pain (it felt like a wasp sting), she said it was a cist but luckily I pressed for a referal to the breast clinic.

It has turned out to be grade 3 Invasive ductal and I start FEC-T next week.

Hi yes my lump was also painful my gp sd the same thing oh not cancer it’s a cyst cancer lumps don’t hurt god they really need telling when my gp found out not only did I have one lump but 2 and both were cancer I think he felt v guilty for some reason they all say the same thing oh lumps that hurt can be cancer my bcn sd there are loads like this

Wow,thank you all for your replies. It’s such a huge subject and there is much to learn. Great advise about getting the exercises in advance.

Hi Scissors, 3 weeks is normal between diagnosis & surgery, the guidelines say it has to be done within 4 weeks according my consultant. I was diagnosed on 22nd June & had my surgery on 11th July.
U have been prodded & poked around a lot so it probably would hurt anyway. Hope all goes well for u with the op, i had WLE & mine was invasive ductal. If u have any questions there’s loads of knowledgeable people on here so pls just ask, take care x