Breast reconstruction using back muscle and implant

Hi everyone, I have not been on here for some time but need to hear from people who have had a reconstruction a few years after mastectomy using there tissue and muscle from their back please? Do you love your reconstruction or regret it , I feel very nervous about this decision and dont know why. How was it for you? Good or bad stories welcome. Thank you

Hi Debs.  I can’t help you re the LD reconstruction but can talk about reconstruction in general.  I had a TUG reconstruction (using the muscle, fat and skin from my inside thigh) 6 weeks ago.  I had my mastectomy in 2014 and was never convinced about going down the reconstruction route however I wanted to be balanced up.  Originally I asked for another mastectomy but my surgeon refused and referred me to a plastic surgeon to explore reconstruction options and would then do a mastectomy if I really felt that was the way to go.

My plastic surgeon has been amazing throughout, he requested I go to a keeping abreast show and tell evening at East Grinstead where I got to see and talk to 8 ladies that had various reconstruction.  What I took out of that evening is none of them said it was painful and none had any regrets.

The result is I have the most amazing new breast that looks so natural.  He managed to get enough from my leg to give me a 34D/DD cup without using an implant so it is warm, soft, squidgy and feels like part of me.  I still need another operation to uplift my remaining breast and do some liposculpting to plump out the top of my new breast.  However when I look at myself in the mirror I can’t help but grin from ear to ear delighted at the result.  The biggest thing for me which I wasn’t expecting is it has moved my mindset on and I no longer feel like a cancer sufferer each morning when I get up.

If you want to chat or see photos of my results I’m happy to do so.  I hope someone else can help you with the LD flap, I have seen and spoke to 2 ladies that had it and we’re so pleased however they had not had an implant as well as the LD flap. X

Hi Debs I had LD reconstruction with implant 2 years ago. I felt like I had done lots of research and spoke to women who had had the same op and we’re happy with results. Unfortunately I have now developed capsular contracture I then had 2 x lipofill to try and help but it got re absorbed. I am now on waiting list for a Diep. I do regret having this done but that is only with hindsight. At the time I felt it was the right decision. I think around 10% can have problems with implants after having radiotherapy but that means around 90% will not necessarily have problems. It is so tough trying to make a decision as none of us knows what the result and long term implications will be. It is best just to go with what feels right for you I know lots of women who have had LD reconstruction and are happy with the result. I tried to go for the lesser invasive surgery but have now ended up having far more surgery and still ending up needing a Diep which I didn’t initially want. I think once you start on the surgery road you have to see it through x

Thank you for your replys ladys. Its so hard because I do want it but its such a big operation at the same time . I can only do the reconstruction that involes the back muscle and tissue and implant. Its that or nothing! People that have gone through reconstruction know the dilemmas that come with it. Im on waiting list now but could be 6mths to a year wait yet. X

Thank you Soda stream , im so pleased your happy with your reconstruction. Thank you for the extra support in saying I could see your pictures , thats a great help for people. I would love to see any results of people with same operation as mine , dorsi reconstruction.