Breast reconstruction

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2014 and I have recently completed 8 cycles of chemo. I am now to decide my breast reconstruction operation. I have never had surgery previously and I admit to being terrified especially the pain that follows the surgery. Can anyone advise me of their experiences of reconstruction and pain after surgery. My first choice would be implant surgery, I have been given the option of back flap and stomach tissue. I am having radiotherapy following surgery. (This is my first posting on the forum). I would appreciate all replies. Thank you.

Hi GLB85 and welcome to the BCC forums

You may be interested to know that our helpliners can put you in touch with someone who has had reconstruction via email or telephone and you can read more about this service here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talk-someone

Here’s a link to the BCC reconstruction information which you may also find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconst…

Take care
Lucy BCC

Please do not concern yourself about pain post surgery.It is now well managed,and take what is offered.Can be uncomfortable ,but if you have regular paracetomol,and morphine as and when,you will be fine.I can’t adviced you on implants.I have had saline,silicone and expanders.None of them liked me and had to be removed …going for the DIEP now.Take care.

I had implant recon last August. The pain was not so bad. Have you already had a mastectomy ? The drains were quite uncomfortable. But the results are great. I had a tissue expander implant, which looked really good. I’ve since had implant on my good side and had the expander swapped for a permanent silicone. Unfortunately this one needs another op to get the final look just right. But do t let that put you off.
God luck

hi GLB38. I had mx direct to implant in june this year, no expander. I remember it being painful when I woke up from surgery, but they soon fixed that.:slight_smile: 2 drains in for five days. They were ok, if a bit inconvenient (they give you a baggie to carry them around in). no pain when they removed them - but they sure go in further than you’d think! recovery good. I am almost back to normal now, just about to step up the exercise regime. Good luck and if you want to know anything else just ask ok? Hope this helps. x x x

Hi all, Can I ask you all…what is the reasonable time spam for returning back to work. I have been off work since January 2014. I had chemo until July (was poorly) now surgery due 6th August then it will be radiotherapy. I know all your recoveries and treatments are on different levels… But when do you know the right time for going back to work? Breast cancer is a trauma and worry for every woman to go through mentally too.
Thanks for all your replies… GLB38

Hi ladies. Can I ask what is meant by an expander? I’ve just had my last chemo session, and due to have mastectomy in Sept. Only option really discussed for me is an immediate implant, but mindful that I’m likely to need radiotherapy so this is likely to go hard and need replacing in future. The back flap is my secondary option, but trying to avoid if poss. Useful to read about your experiences.

I had a unilateral mastectomy with a DIEP flap on December 30th.  It was tough for awhile but really glad I made the decision.  It looks quite nice and even bought a bikini top to wear after 15 years of a one piece bathing suit.  Did not have my nipple replaced…just want to leave it alone.  It is soft like my natural breast.  Great result.  Good Luck with whatever decision you make.  Everyone is different.

Thanks ladies - good to hear you are getting good results with your different surgery options. My surgeon seems great so trust him, just nervous on what the implant will look like compared to other breast.

Hi, I did a blog when i was having my DIEP last year - you are more than welcome to a copy if you would like to read it.
Pm me with your email address and I can send it to you if you would like