Breast still swollen and warm!

I had a lumpectomy, then chemo and lastly radio which finished july last year. Breast was v warm and sore but began to get better a few weeks after radio finished but then seemed to stop and is still much warmer than the other one, and swollen. I saw the registrar at the end of December and had mammogram and scan. Scan showed some inflammation, but registrar not concerned and when I pushed it, he said I could 'have some antibiotics if I wanted"! I’ve been back to my own doc, and he’s going to refer me back to the hospital but I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, or any idea what’s going on?

Hi Valderi

Do you have breast/trunk lymphoedema? And has anyone mentioned cellulitis to you?

I think your GP has done the right thing in referring you back to the hospital.

X

S

Hi , i had very similar , gp gave me antibiotics x 2 course but did not do anything, was referred back to consultant who thinks i have oedema in the breast, have seen breast care nurse who explained that because of the disturbance to the lymph glands , i had lumpectomy and SNB , they are not draining properly causing pain etc in breast.She showed me some very gentle massage exercises to do to encourage drainage , swimming is also ok, gently though.

Like Bahons 2 suggested i would see Consultant and or bc nurse for advice.

Take care
Sarah 66

Hi Sarah

I bumped a load of breast odema threads from the lymphoedema board a few days ago. Did you catch them? These boards are so fast moving aren’t they?

X

S

Hi Valderi

I finished my rads in August and my breast came up very swollen red itchy and hot at the end of November. The stretch marks are filled with fluid. I phone my BC nurse and they called me straight in the next week to look at it. Mine was fine…apparently its just the way I’m reacting to the radiotherapy. The swelling is just starting to go down now but some of the skin feels very thick and and rough but been told its nothing to worry about so hope yours is the same.

Best wishes Judy

Thank you all for your comments. I have slight lymphoedema in my arm, and wondered if that’s what the problem was but the lymph clinic didn’t want to know - seemed they only looked at arms and legs. Still doesn’t explain the warmness though? Anyway, appointment has come through to see the consultant again on Thursday so wish me luck. Will try to be assertive this time instead of getting upset :slight_smile:

I am 2 years post chemo in March and my breast is still pink and is often very warm. I also have twinges in my 2 bottom ribs. I had a mammo and check up in December and the Consultant said it can take years for it all to ease off.

Hi Valderi

A lymphoedema clinic that only does limbs? That is so pathetic. People get lymphoedema in all sorts of places from cancer treatment, not just the convenient and so-much-easier to treat, arms and legs.

It sounds like a nasty case of rationing and lip service. The powers can get brownie points from having a lymphoedema ‘clinic’ and a tick in some box for a target met, while at the same time putting the minimum funding and training in place.

If you do have breast lymphoedema - and it needs to be confirmed by someone suitably qualified - as the other ladies who have posted here have pointed out, there are then things that can be done - massage, compression tops, kinesio taping.

The very best of luck with your appt - it’s not easy, is it, to have the conversation go in the direction you yourself want it to.

X

S

Glad to find this thread! (took a while to adjust to new site) I have on/off swelling and tenderness in lumpectomy breast. Discovered by myself that firm massage helps, also a squashy type sports bra (I had been wearing loose or no bra).
All teh best, Zoe x