Breast thickening

Hi I’ve just been told I have to return for an ultrasound after a routine mamogramme, they say that I have a thickening in my right breast. I have dense breast tissue and have yearly mamogrammes as my sister had breast cancer in her 40’s. can anyone offer a possible cause. . I’m very nervous e and scared.

Dear Salkiekay, welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry that you have this worry, our helpliners are on hand with support and information on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call to talk through your concerns, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

You may find the BCC ‘Worried about breast cancer’ page useful to read too and you can do so via this link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm\_source=promo\_content&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=worried

Take care

Lucy

Hi Salkikay

Younger women (under 50) do have denser breasts than we older ones (I’m 62) and mammograms don’t pick up the information very well, so an ultrasound scan is clearer. I don’t know why you have thickening of the breast, but when you have your scan, they will be able to tell you more. It may be something quite innocent, so I hope the scan will reassure you of this. If they find something more unpleasant - from your point of view - you have come to the right place for information support and advice. You didn’t say when the ultrasound is, but good luck for the appointment, and please let us know how you get on.

Big hugs

Poemsgalore. xx