cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brreast cancer test

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Brreast cancer test

H Catchpole

Could I suggest you give our helpline team a ring where you can talk in confidence.  The staff will be only too happy to talk through with you any concerns you may have.  Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

I agree it is much better that they took more nodes. I was only supposed to be having sentinel removed but am glad they took as many as they could. It is early days yet and you are doing so well so just keep positive, I know you are probably fed up of hearing that but it is right, and take one day at a time. I was really up and down after op and everything seemed overpowering but it does get better. Iwas convinced I would have to have chemo then when I got to oncologist I didn't. Ask your breast nurse but I am sure you will see the surgeon again because they usually do another biopsy of the full growth they take away and tell you exactly what type & grade of cancer it is. Keep your chin up. XXX

Yes i had the results from the original scan and biopsey,. cancerous lump, and one suspicious lymph node, but in spite of saying wouldnt take all nodes because of risk of lymphoedema when i had operation with different surgeon from whom i  i saw originally, whom ive never met, saw his registrar.they took them all. I didnt mind i waas glad to be rid,. i was told my risk of lymphodema was low so felt to avoid further surgery taking them was ok.  I feel very well was told when my surgery nurse removed my dressing yesterday,she thought i looked and seemed extremely well considering had op last week, so that is encouraging.  

Catchpole, I didn't see anything in the papers about chemotherapy. However, when you have your next hospital appointment I am sure it will be discussed. Once the oncologist has results they will recommend the best option. Occasionally women are borderline for chemotherapy in that their profile is not much improved by chemotherapy. In my case it was 3% so I declined but someone in the same position might have another view. In any situation you can refuse chemo. Some people take the view that we should take everything offered. I don't. I hope all goes well for you.

Have you not had the results from your biopsy then? X

I had op to remove lump and nodes last thurs, im healing well, the nurse at my surgery said, and she rmweoved the lump dressing yesterday, i feel fine,.apart from all this uncertainty.  As i said i just had no communication with the first oncologist i saw,i could hardly understand him and his [people skills were rubbish,.My two friends with me were same. This nodes thing confuses me to, does everyone with dodgy nodes have tohave chemo, or is it just those with several nodes affected, Some people on here seem to have had chemo with dodgy nodes and some dont.  I dread the debilitating effects of chemo more than anything, i live alone, i do have good friends but they cant be there all while, also im very slim, and can lose weight easily and i worry if i feel sick, will i feel like eating. Yes i know people who have had chemo and sadly are no longer here and those who havent had it and are very much alive.june

Sorry didn't mean to do that. The figures do take other things into consideration like road accidents, other illnesses that can come with age etc. I also think they have to consider the type of cancer you have had. Mine was 90% oestrogen fed so the medication is a very good option for me. I do know other ladies that haven't had chemo who had breast cancer years ago and they are still fine. Please listen to your oncologist, they may advise you not to have chemo and just radio. When did you have your op and when will you see the oncologist?

I have to say missbabs i find it all very confusing, I am the same age as you, 67 but i have few health probelsms, good heart, lungs,etc. and for a women in 60s very healthy until this. Ive always felt more like 47 than 67.

The 80 per cent is very scary , it seems very high when so many people have chemo,.  My immune system has always been good, the idea of messing it up scares me.

The first surgeon i saw did not impress me at all,he told me little,  just kept going on about worst case senario,chemo, radio therapy,tablets for years, Im sitting there thiinking all this for a little lump. Ok suspect first lymph node but now all gone.i didnt even realise that would be happening until the actual op day, Have new doc now seeing Fri,.  I had a bit of a bust up with one of my closest friends today, she has been a great support to me during it all, and i know she cares, but she is under impression  im having chemo whatever, and i said no, it isnt black and white, but shades of grey, the side effects of it so debilitating, it needs to be looked at fully, This 80 per cent thing throws it into perspective, more uncertainty,  I of course could have radio therapy. I feel even more confused now. 

Hi. Didn't see the article in paper but had mastectomy and 11 lymph nodes removed on 12th November 2014. 2 nodes were diseased but other 9 ok. I went to oncologist soon after op, and like you, was expecting to be told I would need chemo. I was told that because I have a heart condition it would be more dangerous to give me chemo than to go without it and that my quality of life would be worse with it. I was also told the same when I went about radiotherapy as well. I take Anastrozole. The statistics he gave me put me off as well as it said that my chances of living for 10 years, I am 67 now, were about 67 % , if I take the medication for 5 yrs that adds another 9.2%, and if I had chemo it would go up another 2.4%. These figures did not take account of my heart disease, just my age and having a grade 2 breast cancer. I was really surprised that the chemo figure was so low considering what the side effects are so in my case it was a no brainer. I must admit I do sometimes get a bit scared that I haven't had it as most women seem to but I'm also glad I haven't had to go through it. I will just take my chances with the medication and hope it has all been removed. I really wasn't given the choice because of my heart problem but do appreciate where you are coming from and your concerns but you must listen to what your oncologist recommends as they do have your interests at heart. Please let me know what you decide and I am sending my best wishes & love as I know how you are feeling. Must say I feel good now & try to keep positive about it all but know it isn't easy. X

Brreast cancer test

Sure many of you saw this in paper today.  I was a bit peturbed by the fact it said that in around 80 per cen t of cases,Chemo makes no difference to the outcome, Then why are so many told to have it and it will.This is all very worrying i go back for meeting with surgeon next friday and i feel no more sure than i was before,lump out can hardly see where it came out, lymph notes all gone, as first was suspect,  So i might have to have it, i dont know, but after reading that,and this test coming up i feel even more unsure whether i want it and would rathr just take chance with radio therapy and drugs,  They say the immune system eventyually recovers,does it, mine has always been good, id like to keep it that way. Chemo scares me rigid, more than the cancer to be honest.