Burning Hearburn - Any suggestions ?

Hi everyone

Sorry to moan about what seems quite trivial after all the treatments we have but I have really , really bad heartburn. I mean the sort that makes you wince every time you swallow.

I have tried all regular treatments , gaviscon etc, Yakult , yogurts , milk etc & none of them even touch it! I finished my Chemo about 3 weeks ago now and have had thsi pretty much ever since. Its really gettin me doen as its putting me of eating its that bad.

I did speak to the BC nurse who wasnt very helpful and just said take a rennie its not the treatment.

Any suggestions gratefully recd. DOnt really want to have another tab from the docs but it may be the only way

Thanks

Tips

Ask your GP to prescribe Omeprazole it is a wonder drug for me and you can take it with chemo.I have 20mg a day prescribed but I think you can buy a version in the chemist[forgot name]which is 10mg and you could try that.You take it in the morning befor you eat and it lasts 24 houres.Otherwise Zantac is worth a try freely available in chemists.Good Luck Valxx

Not sure if it’s the same as Horace’s, but I get Lansoprazole (30mg once a day) on prescription and that does the job.

If you prefer the herbal route, try Bioforce’s Centaurium tincture as it deals with the cause as opposed to relieving the symptom. Tastes absolutely revolting (bitter) but worked within a week. Would use it now if I weren’t having chemo as it definitely addressed the acid imbalance.

Good luck
xx

this is going to sound odd but soft eating liquorice has been helping my acid reflux while on chemo… It’s been working better than gaviscon ever did.

I can’t explain it though just an observation and one that seems to always work. I guess it’s like peppermint tea which may also help you.

If it hurts when you swallow could it be oral thrush? I have had this since I stopped chemo in June and though Nystatin soothes it it comes back when I stop the treatment but when it was at its worst it made my throat very sore on swallowing. Just a thought and I may be way off the mark but you could ask Dr.

I had lansoprozole 1 in the morning - it does the trick

I have Omeprazole 20mg a day, and just after FEC I take 2 a day for a few days.

I had terrible heartburn when I was pregnant, and then had Ranitidine which is available as a tablet or as a thing to dissolve in water, which may be easier if you are finding it hard to swallow.

Kinden
x

Omeprazole is brilliant, can definately reccomend it .It stops the production of acid in the stomache, worked wonders for me, i use to take 20mg a day and after that never had any more problems. Over the counter remedies like rennies and gaviscon were useless for me.
Lindiloo x

I don’t like taking more medication than I have to.

I have a bit of a polo mint - or crystalised ginger.

They seem to work for me.

Christiane x

Hi ladies

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I had mentioned it to the Rads team in passing & they are going to get me to see a doc about it.

She said that the Chemo drugs stay in your system for 3 months so would most likely have probs for a while but the Doc will check it out

Love

Tips x

Hi Tips

On Rads side-effects it lists heartburn as one of them if the area includes the gullet (middle chest).

Jo xx