363471posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CT Scans - can you ask to see them?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: CT Scans - can you ask to see them?

Thanks for that, Bev. Hope you are doing ok on your new chemo and that you are recovering from your cold. I will ask next time. Fx

Yes barton you can ask to see them. my Onc can look at mine on his computer on the desk. He explains what he sees and then sometimes turns the screen toward me so i can see what he's referring to. Mind you it all just looks like moving blobs to me.
Usually though he just brings a printed report into the room with him as well and just summarises it.
Love bev xxxx

Thanks for that, Nicky! Very useful to know. I think I will ask for copies at my next appointment - 22.1.15. Best wishes, Barton.x

Community Champion

Yes, you do have the right to see all your reports and letters and get copies of them. When I went for a second opinion at the Marsden I requested that I'm copied in on all letters. So far I haven't ever requested copies of scan reports as the onc will go through the details on the computer if I feel I need to know. Very odd seeing slices of your body from the CT scan 😉 I did have one report from the last referral I had to the Marsden as the Prof asked if I'd seen it or wanted to see it as he would be shredding it after my appointment. So I do now know exactly where and how large/small my liver mets are but up until earlier this year I didn't actually want to know the full details!
Nicky x

Thanks for that, Macie. I didn't know you could ask for a printout - that might be even better than just looking on screen. As you say, you can then keep the copy and compare scans in chronological order. I think I'll do that. I'm sorry you have breathlessness too. It can be quite distressing at times. Best wishes, Barton.x

Hello ladies
When I see the oncologist after a scan he goes through it with me and explains the results then I ask for a copy which he prints of for me and then when at home I can sit and compare with last one,sometimes like what I read and see and sometimes I don't but you have to be prepared for that this time it was stable disease so I was quite happy with that.

Barton I am also very breathless at certain times but have a pleural effusion not sure whether this is a side effect of capecitabine I am not so much emotional as miserable and angry all the time my poor family go through hell but I can't seem to stop it.
Love Macie x x

Mowser - wow!  That must be a bit worrying - a doctor not knowing what your gallbladder looks like!  By the way, sorry you have had to come off Cap.  As everyone else has said, they have lots of other options these days!  I'm sure they will find something that works for you.  Best wishes, Barton.x

Thanks, everybody, for the swift replies!  You are all quick off the mark!  I think I might ask next time - I think I would rather see what they see - I know they have to tell me the truth, but I think it might be reassuring if I can see for myself (if the results are good, of course!).  The only thing is, they put me in a little examination room for the chats - all his computer stuff and records are in the room next door.  I suppose he would have to let me into the "inner sanctum"! Hugs to everyone, Barton.x

He showed me mine for the first time yesterday-I hadnt asked, but to be honest he was flicking through them so quickly, I didnt know what I was looking at. At one point we saw an enormous dark patch anmd he started wondering aloud whether it was a tumour or my gallbladder!! Didnt inspire much confidence!!

My onc shows them when my daughter asks but doesn't offer otherwise. Think she reckons I'm better off just being told the results after being such a wreck for so long!
LD x

I just ask to see my scans with onc it is your body after all x

CT Scans - can you ask to see them?

A quick question - do you have a right to ask to see your CT scans or do you just get told the results?  I don't know, at the moment, if I want to ask to see mine, but I was wondering if the Onc would show me if I asked?  Does anyone know, please?

Thanks, Barton.x