CT scan or Bone scan for Bone Mets Diagnosis?

Hi everyone, not been on this site for several years but am hoping for some advice. 

Originally diagnosed 2008 with lobular bc. I had lumpectomy & full axillary clearance 4/22 involved. Chemo & radiotherapy.

All had been well until February this year when I have had increasing pain in my ribs on bc side. … wakes me at night.At the end of March I visited gp who ordered a standard X-ray. Then I visited my oncologist who ordered a CT scan… this has come back as inconclusive! So now I am to have a bone scan. 

Is this normal? How can a CT scan be inconclusive? 

Really appreciate your knowledge , wonderful ladies… thankyou xx

Hi Bethy, I got my dx from a bone scan. CT is good for tracking changes but I think it’s sometimes hard to tell between wear and tear and something more sinister on a CT. Wishing you lots of luck and sending positive vibes.

Hi Bethy, my SBC in my pelvis was picked up when i was having a CT scan of my colon - no problems there. I then had a bone scan which showed more specifically where the C was. However a bone scan shows all wear and tear on bones but it does show where it is, I subsequently had a bone biopsy to ascertain that it was C and what type it was so they may need to do other tests to find out as much as they can about what’s wrong with you. Good luck with all your tests and a big hug while you are waiting for results. B xx 

Well, this thread is a couple of weeks old - and I hope you’ve got some answers by now Bethy - but I thought I’d add my two penn’orth anyway. I had a chest x-ray in Jan to investigate sternum pain, nothing seen. After increases in pain, which seemed to have spread to upper back, neck and skull I had a bone scan two weeks ago which showed a hot spot on my sternum. Now I’m having a CT scan to get a clearer picture of the spot which could be old injury or wear and tear? … here’s hoping! It seems from the other posts that a combination of the two scans is needed to give the full image. I didn’t know this either and was a bit upset that I hadn’t had a CT scan initially instead of the bone scan because I thought, like you, that that would give a definitive diagnosis. And of course the bone scan took a month, waiting for the scan appt and then results. So in some ways your post has made me feel a bit better that even if I’d had the CT scan first I might still not have got any answers sooner. It’s a horrible time though isn’t it, and I’m very on edge and short tempered with my poor demented dad. Wishing you all the best. Helen x

I’ve had both - the bone scan showed up the bone tumours much better than the CT. I’d had mammograms & ultrasound before that as I was worried about the pain but was told there was nothing to worry about. Diagnosis came about because I had a cyst removed because it was unsightly - they sent it for a routine biopsy then panic stations, sending me for all sorts of scans. I asked for and got a printout of my skeleton which is quite cool to have.

Following the bone scan , I t was reported that I have 3 broken ribs! I was sent away to rest ( been doing so since Feb ) …and if no improvement by the beginning of August an MRI.

Aug will be 6 months of pain, I have been in touch and I’m returning on wed… x