Calcium Tablets

Hello

Just wondered what the normal dose everyone takes?  I was first prescribed Adcal D3 (2 tablets daily) then it changed to Calichew D3 (only 1 tablet daily).  (I would have thought both would have been same dose). Was only changed as I wanted to try a different brand.

Does anyone also know if we should have any blood tests to check calcium levels after a few weeks/months at all? 

TIA

MM

Dosage depends which type of Adcal you are on there are different ones eg the large white ones you have to chew and the caplets you don’t - caplets have half the calcium/D3 of the chewable ones so it’s four a day of those.

I balance my calcium tablets depending on what calcium I have had from food that day to keep within 2000mg overall.Too much calcium can be harmful

I have no knowledge of Calcichew but the dosage should be on the container

My calcium levels have never been checked

Hope this is useful

Thanks for sharing!

+1 

Following topics!

Hi I am on Adcal D3 twice daily since September last year and i understand you only get checked with another bone density scan in a year after, i will have to check my next appt with BCN’s later this month. I wonder is it cheaper to have one tablet prescribed just a thought? deb

Hi,

I think varying the dose depending in dietry intake may be a good idea. However this also reduces the dose of Vitamin D, too. And the Vitamin D is very important. As to too much calcium - 

QUOTE -  Getting too much calcium can cause constipation. It might also interfere with the body’s ability to absorb iron and zinc, but this effect is not well established. In adults, too much calcium (from dietary supplements but not food) might increase the risk of kidney stones. - END QUOTE

I am on Adcal-D3 Disolve. which are effervescent tablets, as I simply hated to chew chalk. It is 1500mg calcium and 400 i.u. of vitamin D per tablet.

I take one at lunchtime and one in the evening, so they do not interfere with my bishosphonates.

Sue x