Called back after a first scan

Hi, just looking for some reassurance I think. I will be going for a second scan after being called back two weeks after my first routine scan. Will be turning 50 in December so have just fallen into the demographic!

My mum is 88 and was diagnosed at the beginning of this year but the medication she is on seems to be working well. I know at least two of her aunts and my gran had bc when they were in their 80s or over. I have had bladder cancer in my 20s and my older brother had colon cancer 6 years ago at the age of 54.

I had a breast reduction done around 3 years ago so I am hoping that what they have noticed is only scar tissue and nothing more.

all the best

littlebad

Hi

I was also called back after my first ever screening mammo when I was nearly 51 (July 2010). It was pretty scary as my gran had BC at 79, cousin died of it at 44; & mum had what thankfully was a begnin lump in her 40’s. Also quite a bit of bowel cancer on her side of family.

I finished treatment for DCIS (non-invasive BC) in March this year; and had my family genetics (you may want to ask about this with your GP as they can refer you)checked which showed I was at moderately higher risk than general population. Now into monitoring for 5 years. Had first annual mammo last Thursday all clear (apart from a couple of begnin flecks of calcium which they want to recheck in 6 months). So far so good.

Once you have been to your clinic (remember 9 out of 10 have the all clear on a recall) I’m hoping you get good news. My advice would be to take a friend or partner as they may remember what was said more than you. My mind was in overdrive when I was called back & even now I regret I did this bit on my own.

If you have any questions please write them down & take tham with you; the staff are used to ladies turning up with lists of questions. I expect you will go to a one-stop clinic where they will take another mammo & compare it to the one they hold. At the moment they don’t know what is normal for you & this will help them do this. You may also have a breast exam/ultrasound.

For me I had to come back a couple of days later for a bi-opsy as my tests were inconcusive.

Please don’t google until you have been to the clinic as there is some scary stuff out there & you don’t know if you have anything to worry about. Keep to sites like this one where I’ve found the support since I joined last December invaluable & the Macmillan site has a lot of good info.

Best wishes you get good news
Take care
Lynne

Hi Lynne,

thanks for your sensible advise. Unfortunately I won’t be able to take anyone with me but will definitely take a list of questions and try and take notes! I’m very philosophical about things and not prone to over dramatising so should be OK on Tuesday.

I’m going to a newly opened BC centre and understand from their information pack that it will be another mammogram, examination and ultrasound and if needed a biopsy. Will be taking a good book and snack as it will be between 2 and 5 hours.

When Mum found a lump, she was seen diagnosed and on medication within a month, so they are quite good and proactive here.

all the best