Called back for another mammogram?

Hi all,

I had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago, got a call today to say that the picture wasn’t clear enough and they need to do another mammogram.

Is this a common thing? or have they seen something and need a clearer picture!

I can’t go until the 26th August which seems like a very very long way away right now!

Hi doucam,

It is quite common, especially in the first mammogram. I don’t know if you are one of the younger women who have been offered the mammogram earlier than usual, or if you have been having them for years. But you will find many posts in various threads asking this same question - or similar. It must be very scary to get a call back, because the worst case scenario leaps into your mind, but the majority of call back prove to be false alarms. Sending hugs and hope the time doesn’t go too slowly for you. You could ring the free helpline on here and talk your anxieties through with one of the excellent and experienced nurses on here. The number is 0808 800 6000.

poemsgalore xx

Hello Doucam,

Perhaps you could ask the clinic if your recall is for a ‘technical repeat’ or an assessment. From what you have said it does sound like a ‘technical repeat’ which are carried out because the mammogram image was not of a good enough quality.  Usually if they have seen something of concern you are invited back for an assessment appointment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pinky and Poems, I am 47, have had a few mammograms due to lumps, and have had 3 lumps removed in my twenties, but this was the other side. 

If I think about it logically, I’m not going until the 26th Aug and if they were concerned then they would say I had to go earlier wouldn’t they?!

Thanks again for the replies, I wil update as soon as I know anymore.