Called back to Hospital after first mammogram

So I was called in for my first mammogram on Thursday last week.  I’m 47 and part of the early screening extension.  This morning, Saturday I received a letter asking me to go back for more tests next week. 

Logically I know there can be many things that can cause a call back, but of course that’s not where my mind is going.  In  honesty it’s the speed of the call back that’s freaking me out mostly.  Does anyone else have experience of it being this quick or does it normally take longer?

Hiya

I think many of us have been surprised at how quickly we get called back , but it doesn’t necessarily seem to equal ‘serious’, so , if you can, try to say to your self that there is a good chance that it’s going to be ok for you. And if there is something that needs treatment, then you are already in the system and will be looked after.  It’s a rotten time waiting, don’t Google or you’ll go daft! And try to distract yourself if you tend to churn. 

The  helpline women are ace if you just need to talk to someone, don’t feel all alone.

Hope you are ok, come back and say how things go.

Xxx Caroluna

I know exactly what you mean.

Had a date for a routine mammogram 27 June - I’m 54 thought nothing of it.

Then 2weeks later got the letter to go back for further investigation - in 3 days! (15july)

Turned up thinking it’ll just be something silly - to have more mammograms plus other tests - and then was told you need a biopsy… This was on the Friday - and they suggested a biopsy on the Monday!!!

Wow - this is the NHS - I thought I’d been kicked in the stomach.

But then told ‘no hurry - it’s just calcifications’ the biopsy can wait…

But didn’t want to put it off - so booked for the following Friday. (22july) Was told results would be 2 weeks - longest 2 weeks of my life!

Then the morning of the results got a phone all to say results weren’t back from pathology - it would be another week . :frowning:

so finally get a call last Friday to say ’ they need to do another biopsy - as they have found atypical cells’… And I’m booked in for 26aug for the 2nd biopsy…

it it feels like it’s neverending - but also am amazed that the dates come back so quick. It seems like the Breast clinic is really well funded and so there aren’t the waiting times that other areas of the NHS have (in bristol anyway). I don’t have a lump, I don’t have any malignant cells - just ‘atypical’ ones, so wouldn’t have thought I would be a priority at all.

so I’d say that speed in itself shouldn’t be a concern!