Called for a scan

Hello everyone, I feel a bit pathetic really as I know a lot of you are going through a very hard time.  I went for my first ever mammogram in July 2015.  A few months later I received a letter saying there were changes in my breast and I needed to go in for another mammogram.  I had this done and a few weeks later received a letter saying I had been discharged.  So I was relieved that everything must have been ok.  During that summer I did experience some pain every now and then but ignored it as I had been given the all clearn.  The pain then stopped after several weeks.  In Novemeber I found a small lump in my arm which has since grown.  After I found this I then had a feel around and found what I thought was a lump in the same breast I was called back for originally.  I went to see my doctor who examined me.  She said the lump in my arm was just a fatty lump and down to my age (I am 53)  She couldn´t feel anything in my breast.  I can only feel it when I am standing in the shower with soapy fingers.  She arranged an appointment for me to have another mammogram which they fitted in quite quickly.  I went for the mammogram and they did both breasts.  You then had to wait in the waiting room and they must just do a quick look at the results.  They then tell you if you can go or if you need to see a doctor.  I was told I was ok to go.  So I thought it must just be my imagination and I am ok.  Four days later I received a phone call saying I need to go to the hospital for a scan.  They couldn´t say anymore as she was just admin.  So I am now worried if they are calling me in for a scan is this serious and must they be able to see something on the mammogram.  Any advice please.  Many thanks for listening to me rambling on.  By the way I am in Spain.

Hi sunflowers, you’ve been going through quite a time with all this, haven’t you?! It’s difficult to guess if they have found anything that they didn’t see or mention when you had you’re recent mammogram, the way they go about things may be slightly different in Spain to the UK. 

It may be the case that someone said you could go when you should have seen the doctor or on further scrutiny, they want to do more tests… maybe more mammograms, an ultrasound and/or a biopsy. If they do, try not to panic, it’s good that they are being thorough and it doesn’t necessarily mean it will be anything sinister.

When are you going for your appointment? Try to keep busy in the mean time, and don’t think the worst all the time, easier said than done, I know! Be sure to let us know how you get on!

Amanda x

Hi Sunflowers
I agree with Amanda that often they do mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy on the same day so maybe they let you go before they had carried out all of the planned tests. Please dont feel like a faud sharing your concerns on this section of the forum as thats what it’s here for.
It’s a very worrying and uncertain time so often good to share it on here. I had all of my assessments done one after the other which you maybe should have done. Good luck with your ultrasound and let us know how you get on. Love Kay xx

Yes mine was exactly the same type of as when I was pregnant. I’m in England but I’d imagine it will be the same in Spain. They talked me through mine and seemed happy to show me her findings. She ruled out a cyst as she said I had 2 separate solid masses and definitely not fluid filled. She also said my lymph node was swollen so did a core biopsy (a needle that makes a click sound and takes samples of the lump) on the two solid masses and did a fine needle aspiration (a needle that collects cells) for my lymph node.
She couldn’t tell me any more than that as the biopsy tissue and cells needed to be sent to the labs for testing. I ended up having to repeat the core biopsies a second time, then had a lumpectomy as still looked suspicious but thankfully got the all clear last week and benign tissue.
Even if you have to have biopsies, please dont be too worried (easier said than done I know) as a lot of my tests looked highly suspicious and still came back clear.
Take care Kay xx

Great news Sunflowers, so happy that you have been given the all clear! It must be such a relief but you are right to be ‘breast aware’ and I’m sure you’ll be continue to be vigilant in the future.

In the meantime, have a lovely life!

Amanda x