Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling North Wales

20 REPLIES 20
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Calling North Wales

Hi Sue,we seem to have done a swap as I'm from Scotland and now live in Wales.
I'm just over an hour from Llandudno Julie ,all our snow has gone here as we are on the coast,hope it is starting to thaw over your way now.

Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sue Happy new year to you too Sorry my schoolgirl welsh isnt up to much Can say hello how are you and talk aout the weather but thats about it. Speaking of weather I am fed up of being stuck at home with no means of escape my car has been stuck in a huge snow drift since new years day but at least my internet is back working.

Hope everyone else is feeling well.

I would be happy to come to a meet problem for us in wales as always is logisitics I suggest somewhere mid point along the A55 is favourite.

I am going on the next liverpool meet on 5 feb I know this is probably not doable for you on the east coast but they are a lovely bunch. A mix of people with primaries and secondaries

Julie x

sue496

Hi Ladies, I'm originally from Abergele. My mum and two brothers still live there. My dad died last year, he was treated at Glan Clwyd oncology unit and they were excellent.

I had hoped to visit Abergele last week but the snow put a halt to that! I now live in Bridge of Weir - just outside Glasgow.

I meet up in Edinburgh with some lovely ladies who also have BC and we met through BCC. I would suggest that you try and have a meet up somewhere in the middle for you all - it has made a huge difference being able to talk face to face with other ladies in the same boat.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Gyda cariad, Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

dont know what its like where you are but I am conpletely snowed in and my internet keeps crashing starting to get a bit stir crazy. Apparently there is more snow on the way tomorrow. Not a happy bunny!

Julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Chris and Sandra

I know this will be no good to you Chris being in Anglesey but there is a support group for ladies with breast cancer that meets in the hospice in Wrexham, I havent been myself I dont know how close it would be for you Sandra. If you have a BCN they might know whats going on in your area.

Chris hope your surgery goes well. Let us know

Regards Julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there, havn't heard of any support groups in the area ,maybe we should start our own. Had my op at Llandudno and rads at Glan Clwyd,have developed lymphodema and get treatment for that at Caernarfon.Have found these forums a godsend and have met up with a group of ladies on another thread but we came from all over the country for that, would be good to meet localish.
Anything I can help you with just give us a shout Chris,good luck with the op next week.

Sandra x

maisie54

hi julie thanks for reply, im actually having surgery at bangor hospital then depending on what treatment is ness eg ,chemo at bangor and rads at glan clwyd. would be very happy to keep in touch with you .. will speak to you after surgery next week, until then take care chris xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

I live up in the hills above Llangollen being treated at Wrexham Maelor. There seems to be very few north walians about so was very pleased to see this thread. I am guessing Maisie that you are probably at Glan Clwyd, I went there for radiotherapy last July. Hope you are doing well. Am happy to keep in touch if you think I can help. I went to the last liverpool meet and met some lovely people.

Regards Julie x

maisie54

hi im from anglesey just been diadnosed in dec 09 with bc, had masectomy right breast on 21 dec plus sentinal nodes but noding positive so have to have more surgery on mon 11 jan for clearance, not looking forward to this but have to be brave!!!. have grade 2 hormone pos, but awaiting treatment results ,prob will need chemo but not sure what else yet. are there any support groups held in our area ? as i live quite rural and would like to meet other people in same position . maisie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Be thinking of you tomorrow Sandra - hope all goes well. X X X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again - My auntie was in Glan Clwyd for her op for cancer a couple of years ago and she couldn't fault them. I was very lucky with just a 10-15 minute drive to my hospital. I am originally from near Llandudno. Was born there and would love to live down there again. I am often at my friend's in Dyserth near Rhyl.

Let us know how you get on and thinking of you. I had my op in June 2007. Had 6 months chemo and 5 weeks radiotherapy and Herceptin. Just got one more Herceptin to go !!

Liz xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi there i live in wrexham and spend as much of the time as i can in porthmadog...where we take our old touring caravan for the summer....when ever i get the gitties from this awful bc...i walk on the beach at black rock sands and get a massive [ in the true welsh way]...you will know what i mean when i say MASSIVE feeling of calm...its got me through some tough times..we prob. share the same b c team. take care and remember there is always someone on this forum who will look out for youx

Guest user
Not applicable

Operation in Llandudno,fingers crossed that won't need chemo,but if I do that's in Bangor and rads are at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd near Rhyl. Just going to get the op out of the way first on Monday then when get results the following Wed will have more of an idea of where will be for rest of treatment and what that entails. Got two school age children so don't want to be away from home that much but will play it by ear as to how I'm handling the travelling.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sandra - whereabouts are you having you treatment? I am in Preston and when I was having radiotherapy there was a lady from Barrow who was actually given a bedroom in the hospital from Monday to Friday. Could this be a possibility for you?

Best of luck

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm sure everyone will be supportive throughout - whatever the journey throws at you! A 4 hour round trip sounds horrendous - you will find you get tired as the treatment goes on (I thought rads would be a breeze after chemo - but it takes it out of you after a while). Do you have to go every day? I know that here people who had long journeys had the option to stay over in a local hotel - free as far as I know.
I got to know a few people who took that up towards the end of their course of treatment because the travelling got too much. MIght be worth asking?
Oh and if there's a Macmillan centre at the hospital take advantage of it - they offer great support and sometimes relaxation treatments like reflexology.
Oops - sounds like I'm taking over!!! Sorry. But it might help to know these things.

joang

Hi,Sandra, I'm in your area,Up in the hills but with views of the sea. I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Then, just concentrate on getting your strength back and let everyone pamper you for a while. Don't worry about the long road haul to radio therapy ,just cope with one thing at a time. I can point you in the right direction to get any help needed with the travelling. One thing's for sure, we all react differently to our plan of treatment, so don't scare yourself too much with other peoples stories. Just be aware that there are a lot of us out there to support you through this, and we will do our best . Take care. Speak again soon joang

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Soprano,cant wait to get this op out of the way,only been a few weeks since diagnosis but feels like a lifetime....

Have just found out that the hosp that I will get rads at is nearly a 4 hour round trip away,lol,I thought 3 hours was bad enough ! Hey ho, but do get to drive through some very nice scenery ......

My experience,so far of all things medical in North Wales re breast cancer has been faultless, everyone has been perfectly lovely. Right enough am just at the start of my journey so maybe that will change,let you know in the next couple of weeks.

Feel free to chat anytime,I'm always up for a natter.hope the move goes fine for you.

Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Welsh Ladies. I looked in this section to see if there was anyone from North Wales because I shall be moving there from Hampshire later this year. I'm quite scared because I shall be leaving my wonderful support network of friends, and I'll have to get to know new doctors - the ones here are fantastic and I shall miss them. Bit further on than you I think - dx March 07, chemo, mast and rads, now enduring Tamoxifen. Still, doing fine really - but it'd be nice to know someone when I move. Good luck with op.

Guest user
Not applicable

I live in powys not near you but same sheep ! I have a good sence of humour even having a left masectomy a few months ago. my hubby lived in lanberis 30 years ago and moved to the brecon beacons where we own the brecon mountain railway . always nice to talk to welsh natives . i am 42 with 2 kids 16 & 10 know what you mean about lovely hills and mountains I am so lucky that my local hospital prince charles hospital is just down in the next village 5 mins away speak soon if you wouls like too

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there! Good luck for 23rd! I live in South Wales. Will you have to go to Velindre Hospital? Don't worry too much about the surgery itself - it's OK. Once you've had the pre-op stuff done, then you can just lay back and 'enjoy the rest'! From the initial biopsies , like you, I was told that mine was a grade 2 but after the op, they found that it was a grade 3 - so be prepared for the initial diagnosis to change. Because it was a 3 (not 2) I was told that I might need chemo as well as radiotherapy but I had to wait for 2 weeks to get this confirmed. I was also told to get my hair cut off really short in preparation! Anyway if the same happens to you, hang on before you have the new hairstyle as I was eventually told that chemo wouldn't be beneficial for me!! I was so relieved and almost looked forward to the course of radiotherapy! Hope you're coping ok. Take care. Denise

Guest user
Not applicable

Calling North Wales

Hi there,am in rural North Wales,between the mountains and the see,very nice most of the time but a bit of a b**ger as have found out will have a 3 hour round trip to get my radiotherapy. Just been diagnosed over a week ago,only know it's a grade 2 at the mo,having lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy on 23rd Feb, be nice to hear from anyone local(ish).

Sandra x