Calling all golfers!

Calling all golfers!

Calling all golfers! Hi there,

I am 34 years old and was diagnosed last week. Off to hospital this thurs for a mastectomy, followed by 6 months chemo then 6 months radiotherapy.

I am a keen golfer and have literally just joined my local club, which wasn’t cheap! I would love to hear from any fellow golfers as the thought of not being able to play for a while is just horrid.

Can anybody tell me how long it took before you were able to get out and play a few holes again. I maybe shouldn’t be thinking of something as trivial as this right now, but I love getting out there on the course and the thought of not being able to play for ages is just a nightmare!

Many thanks all you budding tiger woods,!!

Princess18xx

Hi Kelly,
Cant help you with the golf, but before I was diagnosed in january, I was running 6 miles 3 times a week. At christmas I joined a gym for the first time in my life so I could use their running machines and not have to run in the dark and cold. Am now on 4th cycle of chemo and have used the gym urrrrmmm 3 times!!! On my good days, I still want to run, but find it so frustrating that I cant even manage a mile any more, still, I will keep going. I reckon you just have to listen to your body and we WILL get our old lives back.
If you want to go for a round of golf then you should- even if you pack up on the 3rd hole. At least you feel "normal " again and are doing something you enjoy
take care
Katyx

to princess I walked for miles most days and swam about 4 times a week before dx. Since chemo I have been walking about three times in-between each dose. Swimming is out because of risk of infection. When I walk I get out of breath so don’t walk up hills any more and have cut it down to about a mile. I hope you will be able to golf as it does help to try and do the things you used to do. I am hoping to go more often now the weather is bucking up happy golfing Eileen

I have played each week since op Hi Princess

I was diadnosed at the end of August 06 and had a lumpectomy on 6 September. I was back on the golf course about a month after my op and have played every week since. I played 3 times in the week after my first chemo and realised that this was too much. I limit myself to one game a week, although I have played today and will also play again on Sunday.

If at the start of my treatment someone had told me I would still be playing 18 holes at the end I would not have believed them. Luckily my course is fairly flat and by 14/15th I do get tired but it is such a pleasure to be out there with friends and having some normality.

By no means is worrying about playing golf trivial. Golf is the only thing that keeps me sane at the moment.

I have only played socially and non-qualifying competitions as I don’t need the pressure of playing qualifying rounds.

I am a particularly determined and bloody minded person so I think that has stood me in good stead. I have also continued to work although I have reduced my hours slightly.

Husband also has cancer so I have been looking after him so not really had any time to worry about myself.

I have now had 14 of 18 rads and breast slightly tender but it will take more than that to put me off playing

I really hope you keep well enough to get out there and take your frustrations out on a few balls. It really is possible to have chemo/rads and still play. Do what you want to do - not what people tell you to do.

Do let me know how you get on. Off to watch the Masters on the BBC shortly. More of a Phil Mickleson fan than Tiger - too petulant for my liking.

All the best to you

Lesley
xx

I don’t play Golf but have just finished radiotherapy, I have been quite well, i am a Carer to my Husband so have been looking after him all the way through the treatment and doing all the jobs around the house, I am disabled as well, and not felt tired hardly at all…I was on a trial having all five sessions a week in one go, which I am sure helped me.

I have no marks on my skin at all although my nipple has changed colour slightly.

I am having more problems from taking Tamoxifen, severe pains in my legs…was told the Tamoxifen was causing me to have sciatica.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are.

Hugs Val.

Thanks Lesley&Val Hi Lesley&Val,

thanks so much for getting in touch. Watching the masters and going off to the driving range with my boyfriend has been really frustrating!! I can not wait to get out there again and was so concerned that it would be absolutely ages before I would be well enough.

Here’s hoping I can get out there in a month or so and make the most of that sunshine. I really think it will help in my recovery.

Thanks again ladies and be sure to take care of yourselves,

Kelly
-x-

Good luck Kelly…The doctor told me that the best thing once the radiotherapy has finished is to get out in the fresh air to get rid of any side effects…but you must protect yourself from the sun.

You take care of yourself.

Hugs Val.