Can Fibroadenomas be painful?

Hi everyone,

I’m 19 years old and currently awaiting an appointment at the breast clinic. I’ve been experiencing pain in my left breast and armpit for the best part of a month, but initially didn’t think much of it and simply assumed it was hormonal. However, last Monay I noticed a lump in the same breast. I visited my GP on Thursday of that same week. He felt the lump too, and said that it had ‘irregular’ and ‘hard to feel’ edges. He reassured me that, due to my age, it was unlikely to be sinister, but he still made me an urgent referral to the breast clinic for an ultrasound. When I asked him what it possibly could be, he said that it was most likely a Fibroadenoma. I had always heard that Fibroadenomas are painless, yet this certainly isn’t. Sometimes, the pain is severe enough that it wakes me up at night. The worst of it is in my breast, but also get very sharp, stabbing pains in my armpit. Has anyone else experienced this level of pain with Fibroadenomas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hannah

Hi Hannahl96

Maybe while you are waiting for replies you could call our free helpline and talk through your concerns with one of the staff who are there to support you.  The number is 0808 800 6000 and lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June