Can a biopsy be wrong?

Hello, just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with me. I found a lump and got sent along to a one stop breast service where they dud mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy (core biopsy I believe) on the same day. I was told that day that the lump was highly suspicious. Fast forward two weeks and the biopsy results came back clear. However the doctor said that as the lump is quite large 58mm x 38mm I would need to have a lumpectomy with wide margin excision to be sure.

Had the operation done last week and go back for my results next week. On my release notes from hospital the radiologist and the ultrasound lady put my images down as category 4/5 for suspicion of high grade cancer.

Don’t know what to think at the mo.

Anyone had a similar experience and what was the out. Im driving myself a little crazy!

Hi ,not surprised you feel uncertain and anxious ,the person that did my core biopsy told me that occasionally they don’t get enough cells to make a cancer diagnosis or don’t quite get the right area but with a lump that size you would have thought they could !!I have spoken to a number of ladies who were told from mammogram lump was suspicious but after op it was confirmed benign so very probably you fall into that category ,they are removing lump to bad on the safe side .Fingers crossed for you Jill.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me, yes that’s what I’m hoping that they surely couldn’t have missed it! The lump appeared pretty much overnight as well, they were talking about the possibility of it being a phyllodes at one point, only time will tell I guess, but the past seven weeks have been so stressful , Thursday can’t come soon enough!

Okay, so I went for my results today and I promised myself that I would come back and update this thread for anyone else who is driving themselves crazy looking for answers.

My results were that my tumour was ‘borderline’ which means that there were changes in cells, but hadn’t become malignant. Ultimately my tumour had grown to 7cm by the time I had surgery and with large lumps like this different parts can produce different results.

Mine has turned out to be a phyllodes tumour, which was predicted before surgery due to my age, 47 and the fact that it was rather large.

Ultimately nothing you read on any of the forums will put your mind at rest until you get your individual results (at least it didn’t for me), but having been told that mine was suspicious for high grade cancer and it turning out to be ‘borderline’ shows how things can turn out differently from original findings on mammogram and ultrasound.

Much love to everyone going through the rollercoaster ride of awaiting results.