Can anyone tell me about sentinal node biopsy?

Because they found a tiny cancer inside the DCIS (got it all out with clean margins 10mm) I need to have a sentinal node biopsy, and would love to hear from someone who has had this. I am a little confused about what is happening, and have found the information on this board has helped me so much. Thanks for any info. 

Hi Tigony, It’s a straight forward op so try not to worry , it’s standard to check the nodes with an invasive BC , mine was done at the same time as my lumpectomy as I knew mine was invasive then, they use a dye to highlight the nearest nodes to your tumour and remove between 1-3 usually , it’s a little uncomfortable for a few days but not painful Xx

Hi Tigony

I echo the last post - my sentinel node came out the same time as my lumpectomy and no problems. The scar looked a little “ragged” for a few weeks - worse than the lumpectomy one - but now - about 3 months on - I can hardly see it. Also a much shorter incision for just the one node. Weirdest thing for me was the numbness under the arm - trying to wash under my arm but not able to feel myself doing it!!! It improves in a few weeks and now I can feel my armpit. I expect you are already doing your exercises after the other surgery - keep on with them.Great news you got a clear margin (and a very small lump by the sounds of it )- Excellent! Good luck. xxx