Can't Sleep, anxious, age 33

Hello, I’m frightened.
I found a lump two days ago, I visited the GP and she has referred me on for further testing. A scan and possible core biopsy

My lump is around 1-2cm, it feels deep in the tissue and it doesn’t move.

Waiting for my appointment is torture.

I am 33, I am nursing my two year old. I’ve had mastitis before and this lump is like nothing I’ve ever felt. I’ve no other symptoms. I have always had quite lumpy breasts too but again, this lump is very different

The GP said it was smooth which is a good sign. Due to family history and the fact that it’s not moving and is deep, she wants more information

I’m so scared, my daughter is just two. I feel so alone and I can’t sleep. I keep flitting thoughts from the worst possible outcomes to telling myself it’s probably nothing and not to worry.

Worrying won’t change what this is I know that but I can’t stop thinking the most awful things.

Hi Clara2 and welcome to the BCC forums where you will find support to help you through this worrying time

In addition, our helpliners are on hand with further practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 so do feel free to call to talk your concerns over

Lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2, here’s a link to the BCC ‘Worried about breast cancer’ pages where you will find information about breast clinic appointments so that you know what to expect:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Clara

The waiting for tears and results is the hardest time, so I really feel for you.

You’re definitely doing the right thing in getting yourself checked out, and many people do find that their lump is happily benign after weeks of worrying themselves silly, so try not to be too hard on yourself.

If you have any questions or would just like to chat with people in the same situation co,e back and post. I’ve found people to be really help and kind on these boards.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. ?

Thank you both. It means a lot to have your replies. My appointment is already through now for the 16th December, so very quickly really which is good.

I just have to keep busy and concentrate on my toddler and keep her days full and interactive.

Night times are hard.

Sometimes I’m calm and focused, other times I go to pieces, and that’s within hours!

Just need to get through the next few weeks x

Hi Clara2,
As per Peta’s message loads of lumps are benign…and besides which the lump sounds relatively smallish. Well done for getting it checked out. Try whatever you can to get windows of calm, meditation, visualisation…etc
As Peta says loads of women on this forum, and a number of us further along pop back to see if we can help…
Seabreeze x

Hi Clara, in September I was in a similar situation to you and had all the emotions you are feeling too. Mine sounds exactly like yours and my Gp described it as an elongated mass. 4 weeks later when I had my appointment, after all kinds of scares on the day, they found 2 deep non moving lumps, core biopsies and drained cysts. I also breast fed til my youngest was 4 (which I thought was my insurance policy). I had me leaving my children motherless and all sorts that month and my story had a “good” ending. Hopefully yours does too. Strangely, in the days leading up to the appointment that fear was replaced with much more positive thoughts anyway “if I’m going to have cancer, I’d rather have this one as there is so much they can do”, " look at all these other strong women on here, they show it can be done" and “whatever will be, will be and I’m ready for the fight”. Even though my story ended in benign lumps and cysts (and more cysts in there to come), it has left a wee hangover where I’m not sure I believe them everything is ok (despite clear biopsy results) which is really really silly. Hope all goes well on 16th. Lorrainne