Can't quite believe it

Was diagnosed in January, grade 3, 1.7cms demon had taken up residence in my right breast. Bit of a shock: it was right behind the nipple (hard to find and hard to reach). SNB at the end of Feb and all clear, so embarked on 6 months of chemo.

The plan was mastectomy with immediate recon - my choice, and I was braced for all that it entails, including several days in hospital. But surgeon suggested resection was possible as the Tax had done it’s tumour-shrinking stuff. That was only ten days ago. Had all the pre-op checks on last Monday, was admitted Wednesday morning, operation in afternoon, and allowed home lunchtime yesterday. No drains, no dressings, no stitches (I’m all glued together, including a re-situated nipple) and I can shower when I feel like it. Surgeons were ecstatic with result and so was I, although I didn’t want to look at first.

All looks a bit Frankenstein now it’s had a few hours to settle, but I’m well pleased. And they’re going to lift the left one to match at some point in the future.

But the absolute best thing is that the demon has gone. Hopefully for ever! Don’t know fully about the margins yet, and still to go through radiotherapy, but I think the worst thing about neo-adjuvant treatment (i.e chemo first) is that you’re conscious of carrying this thing about with you for months. And then suddenly you’re not. So a cloud has lifted, although the journey ain’t over yet.

And the treatment plan change and surgery happened so fast I can’t quite believe it wasn’t some weird dream…or maybe the morphine’s still at work.

Can’t believe I’m home!

L x

I was diagnosed with a grade two tumor two and a half months ago. I was gobsmacked to say the least as there’s no history of cancer in either side of my family! There were a lot of tears, i can assure you! My lump was under my breast and was 18mm long. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me and felt like some terrible nightmare i’d stepped into!
The doctors wanted to try a new procedure where they slice open the bottom of my breast, take out the lump and move my breast sac, muscle and tissue around to fill in the hole. Because it had never been performed in this country, i was very wary. I was originally going to have a mastectomy, diep and nipple reconstruction. But the doctor said because i am so young, he would prefer to try the new procedure.
I had my operation at 2.45pm wednesday. I was shaking like a leaf all the way down to theatre, i was that scared! I’m still sore and in a bit of discomfort, but that’s to be expected.
The doctor came round to see me a few hours after i came to and told me that he was happy how the surgery went and that if he found any more cancer that he would be happy to operate and take some more of the tissue away instead of going for a whole mastectomy.
I had to stay in hospital last night as my temperature and blood pressure were low. The nurses on the ward were all really lovely and made me as comfortable as possible. I didn’t get much sleep as not only was i in discomfort and a little pain, but there was sounds all night long with the nurses checking on patients, patients getting up to go to the toilet and snoring neighbours!
The doctor came round to see me this morning and said that i could go home which i was ecstatic about!
When i got home i headed straight for the bathroom to look in the mirror. I didn’t want to look for fear of what i might see but i had to know if it looked okay. There’s a black line of stitches under my breast, the blue dye they put in my breast makes it look worse than it really is, the bruising has just started to come out and i have a few stitches in my armpit where they took out two lymph nodes. I look a bit like frankenstein’s monster at the moment but at least the thing is out of me now! Hopefully!
My breast looks smaller now than the other but i have to see the doctor on tuesday for the results of the tumor, so i’ll discuss it with him then.
I’m so glad to be home though!
I’m off work now for six weeks and i’m going to go mad with boredom! I have no idea how i’ll pass the time. Then it’s straight off for chemo for six months then a month of radiotherapy! Now i’m scared of having my chemo! I’m scared of being sick, losing my hair, not wanting to do anything or see anybody! I’m a wimp really! It’s just a fear of the unknown and i’ll be fine really.
At least that thing is out of my body for good! Hopefully!
Now it’s onwards and upwards!
Julie
x

Hey Julie,

Sounds very similar to the operation I had… Blimey! you weren’t in a certain well-known London hospital, were you? There was a couple of real loud snorers in the ward. I too am still a bit of a Frankentit at the moment but it should all settle soon. And no drains or stitches to take out - I’m held together by glue…

Woke up this morning to find Hackney Council digging up my quiet little alley with pneumatic drills. Just what a recovering girl needs!

You’ll find lots of support re chemo on this site. I too was horrified, but it was maneageable. Worked all the way through (very supportive workmates). Bit tired towards the end, but a couple of weeks in California helped in between chemo and surgery. Now heading towards radiotherapy and a second op to lift the other breast to match.

Good luck with the recovery. Hope it all goes smoothly,

L x

Hi Laterna,
I was in broomfield hospital in essex. I have stitches but i’ve also been glued together.
Do you still feel dizzy and nauseous because i keep feeling like i’m not getting any better. I seem to have little or no appetite.
Yesterday i tried to have a mug of hebal tea and managed a couple of nibbles on a piece of toast but it came straight back up again! Also when i try to sit up or lift my head off the pillow, i start to get a bit dizzy and feel like i’m going to be sick again!
Any suggestions?
Julie x

Julie,

I’m sorry to hear what you’ve been through. I’m 5 weeks post Mx, still having trouble with my wound and starting chemo next week and one thing I’ve learnt over the last 5 weeks is if you don’t feel well call/see a GP or district nurse, whoever, but get some medical help and quickly. You don’t sound too good and it sounds to me like you need help, so please get some quickly.

Good luck and take care, Bella x

I had a mx and recon 3 weeks ago. I was in hospital for 6 days and for 5 of those i had symptoms like yours plus i couldnt go to the loo at all. All sorts of smells made me feel sick especially food. The doc said my body didnt like the morphine and he was right, 8 days after the op when all the anasthetic and drugs had left my system i felt hugely better. One thing i would say is though that you MUST eat. You’ll be weak from the op and it is scary how quickly you deteriorate with little food. After 3 days of barely eating i couldnt evemn stand by myself. Protein is especially essential to help you heal. I agree with bella. If you really cant eat then phone the district nurse, there are anti nausea druge you can take that will help you keep food down. Let us know how you get on.

Julie100,

I had a 19mm lump also underneath my breast, also removed by the same procedure as you where they replace gap with healthy tissue and muscle, also done at Broomfield, and probably also same surgeon Prof.S!! Sorry you are not feeling well, the anaesthetic can take a while to work out of your system, but it would be best to ring (probably out of hrs doc) just to get checked out. They will be able to give you something to settle the sickness. I had my first chemo yesterday, and you couldn’t be more afraid than me!! The anticipation is the worse thing about it, and I am fine. There are a few of us on here being treated at Chelmsford and you can find us on the Essex Girls thread. Hope you feel better soon.

Take Care,
Tracey xx

Hi Julie and all,

Can’t agree more with Louise, moonshine & Bella: sounds like you could do with some help. Doesn’t matter if it’s out of hours. You shouldn’t have to go through this.

Make sure you get enough fluid.

You take care and let us know how you get on.

L xx