cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sleep after first FEC

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Can't sleep after first FEC

I agree the dexamethasone [steroids] keep many people awake.

Hi Crys,
I should get a date early next week,. I expect I will be starting during the week of the 17th March. Funnily enough I now want to get on with it, even if I am not looking forward to it. But the sooner all this is finished...

Karen,
Look after yourself.

Sophie

Hi Lovely Ladies

Thank you for you kind thoughts, not feeling too bad felt rough yesterday, like a really bad hangover headache and feeling sick if upright.Not too bad today but temp keeps going up and down so I'll have to keep a close eye on that.

Sorry you're not feeling great but the nurse said yesterday if you are feeling rubbish it means the chemo is working and zappping the little bu**ers - hold that thought ladies.

Will speak soon

Sending love and hugs

Karen

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone. Sorry you've been crook, Jenny, and that you're low Liz. Well done for getting out for the dog walk, I'm impressed. I'm feeling absolutely bushed - weak and pathetic, tired, bit dizzy. Also have very sore hands and they keep going to sleep/getting pins and needles. Huge bruises on them from the failed needle attempts on Monday. No sign of Karen? When do you start Sophie?

hi I'm back. Had a couple of bad days. Started with Wed. night gruesome stomach pains and very dizzy. My sis. says it sounds like my mum's vertigo. Spent most of Thurs. and yesterday in bed feeling like a cross between a hangover and man flu. but this morning I got up for breakfast and my stomach rumbled! Good sign. Mind you I can't stand on one foot yet. So I shall wobble about today but it's an improvement. Cryst my hair is gross too..all dry and lifeless as they say in the ads. My daughter seems to be improving but still germ ridden. I got some of that hand gel too. Used it for hosp when I was in as they had 7 wards closed with tummy bug. Now they have lords of the realm with their knives in. Yes my hosp is Bath RUH. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for the the staff there. They have been kind and gentle at all times and even gave us BC patients a foot bath each when we couldn't have visitors so no complaints here.

Hi Jenny, Cryst, Sophie and Karen, just wondering how you got on Karen? My top of my mouth is very dry today, a strange sort of feeling. I'm still feeling quite low in myself so am going to ring the team later, after my dog walk. I hate not being able to shake it off, thought it might be the steroids but they've finished now so not sure. Hope you all coping with effects and sorry to be a misery!

Hugs
Liz x

Karen,
I have been following this thread as I am soon to start FEC. I was thinking about you today. Hope everything went well.

Sophie

Hi Jenny, Cryst and Liz

Thank you so much for your kind workd and being there for me this week. Im at the stage of bring it on I did tell the nurse today about us and she said it would be rally interesting to hear of the different ideads as they dont get this feed back from dofferent areas so if you let me know you regime and how things have been I will pass them on.

I really hope to be speaking to you all soon and that you are doing well./

Sending my thanks and love to you all

karen

Hi all, well my mood seems to be lifting today, helped by a dog walk in fresh air! I'm wishing you luck tomorrow Karen and will be thinking of you. Sorry about the hair Cryst, mine seems ok at the moment but who knows. Jenny I hope your daughter is getting better, I invested in some hospital type hand gel, as having a dog and rabbits it was a concern.

Hugs

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

We're not putting you off then, Karen? (Not like there is much choice is it.) I hope all goes well with the visit today and good luck for tomorrow if I don't check back in before then. I don't know about alcohol, but I suspect they won't be up for you getting completely sozzled.

Liz, I'm rather down today too, so maybe it's just one of those things at this point in the cycle? I feel like I should be up and doing something amazing, like climbing Ben Nevis but actually finding it hard to drag myself away from Homes Under the Hammer and the like! Ah well, maybe we'll hit a better patch soon.

Jenny, I hope you're Ok and your daughter too. Your son sounds a bit of a star - I can't see mine doing anything with antiseptic wipes, though they are being pretty lovely about all this, I have to say.

Current symptom for me, aside from the others, is dry skin, itchy scalp and my hair feels dreadful - dry and horrid. I washed it yesterday, though they say not to, and that felt better, but it's grotty again today. Yuck

Hi Liz

Sorry your not feeling too good today, when you think about all the drugs we are putting in our bodies is it any wonder we feel weepy. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Chryst - did read the Belching thread and had a chuckle, glad you are doing ok with the sickness.

Jenny - Sorry to hear about your hair and the constipation. Thanks for your good wishes,

Im going to look around the chemo suite tomorrow and be told all about the treatment, probably scare the pants off me. Can you drink alcohol whilst on chemo I will need something to help me sleep tomorrow.

So just one more check I'm going to feel weepy, lose my hair, suffer from wind and constipation oh and I nearly forgot sickness.

Sending you all loads of love and hugs

Karen

XXX

Hi all, sorry to moan but can't stop weeping! Suffer from depression anyway but this is different. Maybe it's the period coming or reaction to the steroids, as mentioned in other threads. Feeling very sleepy this afternoon too. Oh well perhaps an early night will help....fingers crossed for tomorrow being a brighter day. Hope the constipation is getting better Cryst.

Love to all

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

I haven't been too bad at all really - no nausea - the odd bit of queasyness maybe. Not much sleep last night, just and hour or two here and there, and I took the steroids at breakfast and lunch yesterday too. I still feel a bit weird. Totally self obsessed with how I'm feeling and side effects. My cheeks and ears feel like they have sunburn - I did go out for a walk in the sun and wind yesterday, so put the rosy cheeks down to that, but am surprised to have them with me this morning even rosier. See also "belching" thread! Took Lucy's advice and phoned the chemo clinic about the paracetamol and she told me that was OK but to take my temperature first. Wee is still not back to its normal colour, but at least it's not still bright pink. Taking lactulose to combat consitpation and keeping going in that dept - just.

Hugs to everyone,
xx

Hi all. I also have rosy glow and tremors but mine belong to me not earthquake which my son felt, while reading in bed and we live in Wiltshire! Hope no damage for you nearer ones. I am used to glow as I have rosacea anyway but my skin is actually smoother. I still feel rather peculiar and stagger about when on my feet but I am pottering about ,filling washing machine etc. My daughter was given antibiotics for throat 'cos of my chemo. so she is still isolated as much as poss and son is wiping surfaces with antiseptic wipes but the hosp says next week is worst for picking up infections. They were right about constipation tho' I may resort to senna tabs as nurse said they were ok. My schedule for Dex tabs was to take them with breakfast for 3 days but I still found a bit if a sleep prob. for first 2 nights..better last night so missed the tremors.
By the way noticed several hairs on shower mat this am. Made me feel a bit weepy at first but I am a bit that way today I think. Sorry about period, Liz thank goodness I'm over all that.
Best wishes to Karen for Friday and hope Liz and Cryst are doing as well as me so far. Jenny

Hi Liz

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better today - sleep really does help doesnt it. Was still up at the time the tremor hit and living in Lincolnshire it really was strage. Is the rosy glow normal? Maybe its to make us look a little healthier ha ha. Starting my first FEC on friday so watching this thread closely.

Hope you continue to have a good day sending hugs

Karen

Hi all, a quick update. Sickness subsided now, and sleeping quite well, apart from tremors at one this morning! Thought it was my chemo playing tricks with my head but then see it on news this morning! I seem to have a rosy glow on cheeks and chest, and my period has come, a bit of a surprise. Hope you all doing ok.

Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Crsyt

Your buzzing brain is probably due to the steroids (used as an anti emetic in drip and probably you have tablets too-dextramethazone).

Try to avoid taking any remaining tabs after 6.00pm and you might sleep. After a couple of cycles you will know how you are re sickness and may be able to cut some tabs...check this with your hopsital though.

I have quite got used to the steroid high...and find it better than the fatigue which follows, but it is disconcerting.

best wishes

Jane

Hi Ladies

Mind if I tag along on this thread I have my first FEC on friday so I'm reading yours with interest to see how you are doing. I'm pleased that You all seem to be doing ok. Good luck to you all.

Sending hugs

Karen

Hi and welcome to Cryst.Sorry the sickness got you Liz. I had my first FEC yesterday at 9.30. Felt a bit spaced out but all the anti sickness tablets were doing the job. I told them before I started that I was always ill after anaesthetics and they seem to have got it right so far. I also woke at about 2.30 and had trouble getting back to sleep. The night before I had the same prob. possibly anxiety but the dex tablets apparently can have this effect. Snoring husband was no help. Today I felt fine in bed but now I am moving around it feels a bit like flu and I have headache too and others on here have described similar feelings. As long as it doesn't get worse I can cope but I am having problems finding words and concentrating. My daughter has just got a really bad throat and is confining herself to bed to keep out of the wat. Hope it works. Good luck and use the forums as there are lots of and we are all different and there are lots of helpful tips. Best wishes.. Jenny

Hi Cryst, welcome to forums. I had my first FEC yesterday at eleven, and felt fine, until six ish, then a bit naseuous, had a tiny bit of toast as my appetite had gone, but then was violently sick. I was sick again an hour later, but had been prescriped some tablets by hospital and they did the trick. Like you though I was wide awake at two! I had a little headache too but slept it off. I would imagine paracetemol would be fine for that. Well I hope you went ok and wasn't sick, I do suffer terribly from travel sickness so didn't expect to sail through the chemo.

Keep in touch, and good luck.

Liz x

Hi Cryst

I am sure you will receive support and information from your fellow forum users soon. If you still feel that you need some advice it is worth contacting your medical team, you should have been given a number to call at the oncology unit where you had your chemo, they are there to support you and give you advice to cope with the side effects of treatments.

Best wishes
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Can't sleep after first FEC

Hi, had my first FEC today and here I am, 2:50am, wide awake, brain buzzing. Feeling a bit strange - sort of spaced out - but not (touch wood) very sicky. Any suggestions? Are there any other insomniacs out there?

Also, I have a bit of a headache and wondering whether to take paracematol, ibuprofen or neither. (Or both!)

xx