74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sleep after first FEC

Re: Can't sleep after first FEC

Hi to all and especially greetings to Ali. i love hearing about the ww tricks as I 've been there and tried them all. I even tried to convince the leader once that I weghed more because I'd just had a shower and my skin had soaked up lots of water!! I thought it sounded plausible...she didn't. Glad I'm not the only tired one cos I thought I would be feeling normal this week. My hair is now a white!!!! wispy fuzz and I am now called the hairy egghead. I can't use the prosthesis trick as still have large and heavy boobs even if one has a dent. Liz I feel for you with the infection and hope the antibiotics will help. My arm is lumpy and very sore where I had antibiotics put in over last weekend but ibuprofen is helping. Hope no 2 is ok for you Cryst I am going to make the Go cake before Thurs. Love and hugs to all especially those who are feeling abit down as you helped me feel better last week. love Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Liz, sorry to hear about the infection in the line. Poor you. I'm off for fec2 tomorrow too. I have rubbish veins and am dreading the whole needle thing. Don't really fancy a line either.

Woops, meant to make some Go cake today ready for tomorrow. I'd got some cranberries to put in it and everything. Curses - too late now.

Karen, hope they sort out the periods - you have enough to contend with without that. Are you suppsed to eat the honey? I've bought some, but have been reading up and it goes on about spreading it on your wounds. (Yuck.)

I thought the prosthesis I was shown was heavy - the nurse said it was about the same weight as a real breast. So leaving it in to be weighed would be the honourable thing to do!!! Last time I was at ww someone was wondering whether to go to the loo before or after weighing! I even heard someone ask if fingernails weighed much - i.e. could she cut them all to make up the half pound she wanted to lose. I'm wondering if I've lost or put on weight - will get weighed tomorrow - I'll let you know. All this mouthwashing and teethcleaning is putting me off my normal evening snacking routine, so I jolly well should have lost something. Mind you, I had a huge sandwich, a donut, a huge cookie, three sausage rolls, and several chocolates for tea. (!) That on top of roast lunch in a pub. Where I lost a filling, so now I have to try to get to the dentist too.

Hi Ali, hope your daughter is tactful - suggest you get her to try the wigs on too, so that you can see how they look on someone else. I'd been looking at buffs, but think they might be hot? Let me know how you get on with them because they do look practical.

Jenny, you are not a whinger, you're having it particularly rough at the moment - hope it lightens up for you. You granddaughter making you over sounds really sweet!

Hi Sarah, I'm really dreading going out in the wig, so well done you. How was Wales?

How is the sleeping Daffodil?

Hugs to you all plus anyone I've missed.

xx

Hi Liz

Poor You, hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and that you are soon feeling better. Good luck with the chmeo hope all goes to plan

Sending Love and hugs

karen

XXXX

Got infection/ poss flebitis in PICC arm so feeling sorry for myself. Has been sore since going in on Wednesday and last night reached an all time soreness! Had to take tabs left over from op to get to sleep. Anyway on anti-biotics now after visit to hospital. Good news is neutrofils ok so next chemo tomorrow as long as oncologist happy with arm. I don't have a lot of choice with line ain as veins so poor! Thanks Karen for advice over covers at Boots, at moment holding my arm out of bath so that might be a good move to buy one.

Love to all, Liz x

Hi Ladies

Daffodil - I had to get extra tabs from doc when I saw Onc on Friday she said she would give me extra this time. Does all the food taste right to you - a cup of tea still tastes disgusting - I really do miss my cups of tea. Some of the ladies have seen their gps and got sleeping tabs to get their patterns back that might be worth a try.

Cryst - the prosthesis looks the business Im so impressed but it is so heavy when I start back at weight watchers I will leave it in for the first weigh in and take it out for the second ha ha.

Have you had blood test recently mine came back as being anaemic and Im now on iron tabs this was picked up by my gp not the onc.

I am like you with the tiredness - I was in bed by 5pm last night absolutely shattered. I thought this week I would be full of energy but really feel worn out.

Good luck with the cold cap and still having hair mine is coming out but I think because my hair is really quite thick it is holding on for now.

Sarah - things must be really bad if you cant face chocolate LOL. Well done for going out with the wig I really cant face one going to go for the scarves, hats, beanies etc.

Im taking the Manuka honey (disgusting I really don’t do honey YUK) Ive tried it on toast, bread, etc have now resorted to a spoonful followed by lots of water. Im also taking Brewers Yeast tabs, a lady on here whose hair didn’t grow back has tried them with really good results so had a word with onc who said it couldn’t hurt so giving it a go.

Jenny - would have loved to seen you after grand daughter gave you a make over LOL Maybe this is what we all need to cheer ourselves up. Sorry about the hair loss I’m so with you its still holding on for now. Have you had no 2 yet (is everyone else’s brain useless or is it just me) My next one is Friday and like you and Cryst I feel shattered.

Liz - re the picc line there are thinks you can buy out of Boots (like waterproof covers) that you can cover arms and legs with when in the bath would this be any good for you? Well done for having head shaved I will be heading down this road this week but kicking and screaming all the way LOL!!!! I had a look at the buffs in Millets and couldn’t decide so its nice to hear your comments may go back and get one.

Ali - hi and welcome good luck with the wig fitting good idea to take daughter at least you know you will get an honest opinion.

Rebecca - how are you doing?

I have got a ct scan and an appt with Gynea tomorrow this is to do with the really heavy periods Ive been having so hopefully will have a bit more info after that. Felt really tired this weekend was in bed by 5pm last night whether it is where my bloods are starting to come back up I don’t know have 2nd FEC on Friday so need to be fighting fit for that.

Hope you have all had good weekends even if the weather has been pants.

Love and hugs to all

Karen

XXX

I've been enjoying you chats, and found the tips and support, although, not directed at me still quite useful. Started my 1st session Monday and suffered quite a bit of sickness which i expected and sleeplessness which, I hadn't and was why I started looking at your discussion. I've got loosing my hair to look forward to, it seems to be thining already. I'm having a wig fitting Thursday and taking my 16yr old daughter with me, which should be quite interesting, then I think I'll have it cut short, . The reason for joining in now is your mention of "Buffs", I had noticed them in other discussions but didn't know what they were. I have found them on a site hats4heads.co.uk, they had a little video link which shows how you can use them. I ordered 1 which came quickly and I think I will be wearing a lot. I'm probably and up with lots of different ones.
love to you all

Ali x

Hi all, nice to hear how everyone going on. The reason for the PICC line is that it was a massive struggle to get a vein for the first chemo, they tried three times and it really hurt with all the stabbing. I have to say that although having it in was painless it is still sore today. District nurses came to flush and re-dress and it's ok so must just be settling in time. The good thing was that I could have my blood taken from it too. I have to hold my arm out when I have a bath, but at least on Monday it will be straight in with the FEC! Having my hair shaved was fine, it's a number four so not completely bald. I had my wig on for an hour today but it was a bit hot. Happy with my hats. Try a "buff" from outdoor shops as they can be styled in different ways and there are some really nice designs. I know what you mean about feeling the cold, it was really bad in first week.

Love to all, Liz x

Hi all Hair coming out in clumps.. my grandaughter says she doesn't like my hair now and she wanted it covered so she 'made me up' with my lipstick and eyeshadow in a vain effort to make me pretty. As she is 3 you can imagine the result. cryst I thought I would have no2 on Mon. but got later in the week.. must be short staffed. Like you I feel very listless and sleepy and I am cold all the time. My whole forearm hurts a lot where I have had the chemo and antibiotics so I am dreading the next time. What a whinger I am! Good luck with chemos next week. I'll have to try the honey. love to all Jenny

Hi Ladies

Thanks for welcoming me, and yes I am out of that hole now. Picked up again Tues, I had different symptoms this time round the nausea and bloating was definitely worse, mouth not quite as bad, but am totally off food, don't mind really as I don't want to put on weight, can't face even chocolate!!!!

Sorry to hear about your hair, mine is still shedding and I vaccumm my bed regularly, I have not been able to go for the shave, I have a little covering still which is my comfort blanket, bit like Linus I suppose.

Big day Tues took Wanda (wig) out for her first outing, it was strange and it took a lot of courage I have to say, but once I decided no one was looking at me, I felt more confident. Have been out twice more since, I don't want to become a hermit so I think it is important to get out, it's funny how we all deal with this aspect differently. Like someone else on here said, when you do not wear a hat it is very strange, I just do not do hats, so I sympathise with you.

I hope all you 2nd time rounders fare ok, hope the symptoms are not too bad, be interested to see if like me they were different.

I sympathise with you Liz, about veins I have terrible trouble too, but have not yet resorted to the Picc line, I am hoping to hold out, so good luck with it.

Karen and Cryst I hope you cope with the hair loss, I know what you mean Karen, it is very emotional and you are not vain at all, it's probably the hair I think that is the worse part, well it was for me, but I have not cried yet this time. I howled buckets when I chose my wig.

Well I hope you are all well and have a good weekend I am hoping to drive to Wales on Sat so I will see how I fare after 2 hours!!!

Good luck to all with treatment.

Hi to Rebecca who joined the same time as me.

Someone mentioned mouth wash I use Dentyl but I was also given Chlorhexidine Gluconate by the hospital, which is very strong, I used it last time when my mouth was very sore, but be warned it is a bit like paint stipper, but it is good.

I think Neutropenic is to do with the blood neutrophilis count it needs to be greater than 1.5 for them to do the chemo, if you have a low count in week two, you are susceptible to infection and fever, that is why you need to avoid people with infections and public places. I take wipes and hand gel out with me and avoid touching door handles etc I know I am paranoid but hey.....

Are you taking the Manuka honey as well?

Love to all

Sarahx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, hugs to you all.

Hope the prosthesis looks/feels OK Karen. Jenny, well done for facing the world in the scarf. Daffodil, I'm not sleeping very well either. I find it best to get up and have a drink, then maybe I go back to sleep. Usually just before the alarm goes off. Still, at least I can catch up in the day. Low iron stops me sleeping, I seem to recall from pregnancy days, so I'm wondering if it could be that. (Low iron, I mean, not pregnancy, lol!!)

I'm due chemo 2 on Monday and really not looking forward to it at all. Am feeling quite tired and lethargic - not what I was expecting really for week three - was hoping to bound around and enjoy myself not feel like a wet weekend. Ah well. Hair is thinning but I can still go out in it at the moment! I'll have to decide if I'm going for the cold cap again on Monday.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Yes the dr did prescribe anti sickness pills and I did take them but didnt help much, I am seeing the oncologist monday and will ask his advice. I am still eating for England, and enjoying it. I had my worst night last night, I went to bed around 11.30 and was still awake at 6.30 this am when my better half came through from the spare room and asked if I had had a good night Aggggggggggh Bless him, I know he did as I listened to him snoring all night. Still I am catching up on all my reading!!!! Anyone any suggestions for 8 hours of deep sleep? (Other than a sledge hammer)

Love to you all, especially those who are feeling rough today xxx

Hi Ladies

Cryst - How is your hair holding up - I noticed mine had started to come out yesterday when I was combing it very very gently BOO HOO. How are you coping with it its the thing I worry about the most (vain devil).

Jenny - we must be days apart on our chemo I have my bloods done on Thursday readyfor Chemo on Friday - its a bit strange wondering how we will feel this time because looking on other threads its not always the same - lets hope its lots better LOL!!! It does feel strange wearing hats and scarves if you arent used to them isnt it. How did daughters open day go? My sons tells me that chocolate has got iron in it so it is good for you at the minute ha ha.

Liz - Was having your head shaved as bad as you thought it was going to be? On the going off food a cup of tea still doesnt taste right - everything else ok just tea. When are you due your next chemo maybe we should make a note on here so that its easier to keep track - anybody elses brain stopped working!!!! Keeping meaning to ask why did you have a Picc line put in? Have looked through the thread and cant see if you said.

Daffodil - so with you on the eating after not eating for nearly aweek I nearly ate for England I was shovelling food in like it was going out of fashion LOL!!!

Sarah and Rebecca how are you both doing?

Off to get my prosesis (spelling) today WOO HOO the comfie was ok but Ive taken the stuffing out and pumped it up so many times its looking very sorry for itself. After that Im going to meet my Onc as we havent actually met yet, she was on holiday and if I wanted to meet her before it would delay my treatment by about 2 weeks so I decided just to go for it sooner in sooner out. Results from blood test at gps aneamic so Ive got iron tabs oh well better make a bigger batch of Go Cake LOL!!

Love and hugs to all you lovely ladies hope you are all on good days

karen

XXX

Hi all. Just went out for first time in scarf. Don't really need it yet but afraid of shedding all over the precious archives at history centre. Daughter no.1 works there and had open day. Felt weird as I normally avoid hats at all costs even to weddings. I have blood test, Dr check and wig fitting next Wed. and Chemo 2 on Thurs if all is well. Feel much better and eating normally so I'll make the most of this week. I keep gettinng choc. given so enjoying it even more than usual and no guilt. No joy on info about neutrpaenic except it's something you try to avoid. It hits you when you get too low on white cell count if you get an infection while at low point of 3 week cycle. love to all good luck to anyone on next cycle. Jenny

Hi all, hair cut is number four, but it's a relief as was comimg out in clumps. Wig and hats ready. Kept my fringe for now!

Hi daffodil, good to hear from you. Yes the sleeping patterns do settle down after a week. It will be the steroids making you more alert. I went off coffee and chocolate for 2 weeks but fine now, I craved savoury things. Sorry about the nausea, it's awful feeling sick, did they give you anti-sickness tabs?

Love Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

This is day seven of my first fec, thank you all for your good wishes and thoughts it really does help. Have felt very nauseous for the first 5 days, had the constipation and skin rash on face, but count myself lucky when I read some of your stories. Funny thing is I have gone from eating nothing for 4 days to eating everything in front of me, was eating muffins at midnight last night!! I am finding it very hard sleep still, does this pass?

My love and very good wishes to you all, my thoughts are with you xxx

Hi , so sorry Jenny that you've been so down but hope things are on the up now. My PICC line was fine, didn't feel a thing. I mentioned to the doc about the depression and they are going to taper off my steroids next time, rather than three full days and stop. Good for you with the choc, I went off it for 2 weeks but I like it again now. My brother died last July of heart attack so I sympathise with you all at anniversary time.

Love to all

Liz

Thanks Karen and Cryst. Funny about chocolate but it does the trick. I had some given to me in hosp but thought it might be frowned on but I took to it after I felt so down and it really did help. isn't it something about serotonin in it. I am going to research this neutropaenic thing on the reputable sites and I think it's been mentioned in the forum before and I'll let you know what I find if worth it. It was so good to come back to you all today. Love to all Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, Jenny, sorry you've had a bad patch - what is neutopenic anyway? Everyone keeps on saying to watch out for it but I don't think I quite understand what it is?

I miss my Dad too - 4 years since he died, and Mum, though she died several years before him. One of the things I'm grateful for in this BC business is not having had to tell them about it.

Hair still thinning but no bald patches yet. Have self prescribed massive doses of chocolate as an aid to mental health. It tastes good again (a week three perk?) and people keep on buying it for me. Mmmm. Along with flowers - I have never had so many flowers in the house - it is lovely.

Oh Jenney Poor you sending you a hug.

It was the anniversary of losing my dad on the 6th March, they say it gets easier but not so sure still miss him as much as ever.

Glad that we have managed to cheer you up and that you are feeling more positive - i'll remember that when I start losing my hair - absolutely dreading it - more than anything else strange uhh.

Hope you carry on picking up

Sending love and hugs

Karen

XXX

Hi all I have just enjoyed all the recent posts. I had to go into hosp on Sat. as I had gone neutrapaenic if that's how its spelt. White count down to .1. Bad day Mon. aniversary of Dad'd death, stuck in room on own, hair falling out and then no-one noticed me for dinner and you should have seen their faces when I asked about it. Couldn't stop crying. Much better yesterday as count bounced back and tasting normalish again. hair disappearing fast but feeling much more positive especially after reading all you lot ..love to all jenny.

Hi all, thanks for birthday wishes, I had a lovely day thanks. However, hairs are coming out rapidly as I write. Daren't brush or wash it! Think it's time for a shave. Also today at one I'm having a PIC line put in. Not looking forward to that but my veins are so poor I only just managed the first chemo with them. I've been told it doesn't hurt but...next chemo on Monday.

I like Dentyl mouthwash too. Good luck Rebecca and welcome to Sarah. Glad the period stopped Karen, I had a normal one last week, but perhaps it will be my last.

Hugs to all

Liz x

Hi Ladies

Happy Birthday Liz hope you have had a lovely day. Glad to hear that you are feeling a lot better long may it last. Hope you remembered to put the Gin in the tonic for your birthday.

The doctor gave me Tranexamic Acid which has worked and stopped my period thankfully I wa on my way to the hospital after seeing gp for bloods so they have asked for a copy to be sent to them in case Im aneamic (spelling). Im seeing the gynie on Monday about it anyway think Im probably heading for hysterectomy co I got nothing else to worry about LOL.

Have you looked on ebay for bandanas they have some nice ones on there.

I have been using Dentyl mouthwash and seem to be ok Touch Wood ha ha.

You made me chuckle with the idea of the Stop Cake!!!

Welcome Sarah and Rebecca sorry you have had to join us but you are both more that welcome.

Good luck for thursday Rebecca will be thinking of you.

Sarah glad that we made you chuckle we do seem to have a strange sence of humour on here but it is keeping us all going

Sending love and hugs to all

Karen

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, welcome Sarah and Rebecca.

Happy Birthday Liz.

What did the Dr say, Karen? Thank you for the headwear links, I'll look them up. More links on the "top tips for chemo" thread and I've bought some stuff from modestworld.com, headcovers.com, headlinehats.co.uk

Is everyone else following the advice to clean teeth and mouthwash after every meal? What are you using for mouthwash? I have a row of different bottles and alternate them, but can't decide if any are better than others.

Washed my hair yesterday and it is definitely starting to come out. The ones in the .. er ..bikini line area seem to be particularly keen to give themselves up. Went out last night (day 15) having avoided people for 2 weeks - big welcomes from everyone - made me feel special. Feeling pretty good at the moment. Except .. has anyone got a recipe for Stop Cake lol?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

This is my first post over here too, although I have been hanging around the site for a few weeks

I was diagnosed on 13th Feb, and had my first FEC on 21st via a Hickman

I too had the nausea, heartburn & tiredness, but all this paled into insignificance compared to how I felt with a sore tongue & extremely sore mouth last week

Just starting tofeel a little better this week, and even managed a little shopping today.

Next does of FEC on Thursday

Love, Rebecca

Hi Ladies

I picked this up after reading another link where someone referred to this one

Have been reading all your comments on here and some of them have made me laugh, thanks for cheering me up, I am feeeling a little down today.
I think I started my FEC a little earlier than most of you (Feb 13th,) I have just had my 2nd FEC (5th March) and I am crawling out of the black hole, think it must be a bit like the Ngogongro Crater (Africa). I will definitely try the Go Cake, but take the advice that it needs to stand for 1/2 hour while you recover, have never spent so long horizontal in my life, it's almost like you pass out, one minute I am talking next Zonk!

I know what you mean by all the other symptoms too, I am there with you all every bit of the way, hair, throat, spots, period, headache, sore mouth and no taste, I have acquired a taste for Tonic Water and Bitter Lemon during week three, unfortunately without the Gin!!!!

Take Care

Love to all

Sarah x

Hi everyone, sorry went quiet, I'm loads better now, feel like my old self again. Things are even tasting normal, but still iffy about coffee. I'm on day 14 of first FEC and no hair loss yet! It's even lost that nylony feel, almost normal. Perhaps it will be like my BN says and happen after second cycle. After a week of sleeping in the afternoons I'm fairly energised too. It's my birthday this week so looking forward to that, next FEC a week on Monday. If I can remember how cr** the first week will be I can cope I think..!

Love to all

Liz x

Hi Cryst

Love my hair was going to get it cut its shoulder length and got so upset about having it cut thought if Im going to feel miserable I may as well do it with long hair. I started out thinking I wont wash it too much, brush it too much, put it up, etc. The I thought if it looks a mess and Im feeling miserable I may as well not have it anyway, so Im washing, styling, etc and quite happy at the moment - figure I will be a long time without it make the most of now - Wow Im turning into a rebel!!!!

Have been loking at some website this morning for scarves banadas etc - If I cant have my own hair dont want a wig, and found 2 new ones

Bandanasrus
The Indian Shop

both in the uk these but an Amercian one Ive been looking at is

CJ Hats.

Back to hair discussion had to shave legs this morning what a bu**er and as for the pits well just no coment LOL

Im waiting for the docs to ring Im having a really heavy period, spoke to chemo nurse and she said have a word with gp to be on safe side (Im going for a ct scan 17 March because last months period was so heavy I had to take tablets to stop it)

Sophie sorry if youre reading this its more excitement for you to contend with and you thinking bowels was a low point HA

Hope you are having a good day and enjoying the sun whilst it shines.

Sending hugs

Karen

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

LOL I can't believe I'm this interested in my own bowel movements, let alone everyone else's.

Elevating the conversation a little, has everyone still got hair? I daren't comb or wash mine so to be honest it looks so digusting it might as well fall out. Are you all trying the "cold cap"? I did for the first session, but don't know if I can stand it again.

Karen,

LOL I can't stop laughing.You made my day.

Sophie

Sophie

Did you think that bc was going to be your biggest worry!!!! Oh how you wish LOL

Karen

LOL Well o well, the things discussed on this site...I never thought I would be interested in other women's bowel movements. LOL.
Sophie

Guest user
Not applicable

Pebble sized, I hope?

Hi Ladies

Maybe too much information but Go Cakes Rocks!!!! LOL

Karen

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad you're feeling better, Karen.

So sorry you're not improving Jenny - I should phone them up see what they say. Cheese tastes good to me. And the insides of baked potatoes with lots of butter. My current favorite lunch is pasta - just boiled and then stirred with chopped up cheshire cheese and butter and a tiny bit of black pepper.

Pig out, Sophie! I'm wondering if I will ever fancy curry again. I would think that Go Cake freezes OK, as there is no egg in it, but I've never tried it.

Daffodil, Liz, are you OK?

Have a good weekend everyone.

xxxx

Oh my, reading those, I am not sure I want chemo to start early now...All that to look forward to. You are right, I might as well make the most of it and treat myself to some chocoloate and cakes.
The recipe for the go cake has been put in my "tips for chemo little folder."
I wonder if I should I bake some in advance and freeze them? I realise after reading all those posts that I may (well, will) not be up to doing much after my first chemo.

Daffodil: I hope your chemo went well.

I hope you all have a restfull week end.
Sophie

hi all, I love the sound of the 'go' cake Cryst I need it again today. I know why they call days 10 to 14 the nadir. I was just thinking the worst was over (for this time) and wow! I went all feak and weeble on Wed. night ,was sick and dizzy again.Temp not reached the dreaded 38 so not bothering hosp. If you know 'The Princess Bride' I feel like Wesley.. mostly dead. I agree Karen absolutely everything tastes off..I have given up on coffee and fruit, which I love, puckers my mouth. Any ideas on things which taste as they should ? Glad you are having a good day, Karen hope everyone else is too. Sun out here too. Spring is springing.
love Jenny

Hi Cryst

Thanks for that got all the ingredients so will give it a go - no pun intended.

Feeling really good today bit of a headache but compared to how I've been feeling thats nothing and the sun is shining woo hoo.

Hope everyone is having a GOOD day

Hugs

Karen

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Jenny, how is that temp? If it's still up, maybe you should contact the chemo unit?

Sorry you're having a rough time, Karen. Have you tried lactulose for the constipation? Mine improved after a bit, went the other way, and is now "normal" (ish). I also made "Go Cake" and had a couple of slices a day. Here is the recipe.

4oz All Bran
5 oz sugar
10 oz mixed dried fruit (Basically whatever's in the cupboard - use a nice mixture. Apricots, cranberries etc as well as sultanas. Lots of chopped prunes for extra "go".)
1/2 pint milk
4oz self raising flour

Put All Bran, sugar and fruit into a bowl, mix, add milk and allow to stand for at least half an hour (while you recover from the physical effort so far).

Sieve in the flour, mix well and pour into well greased 2lb loaf tin.

Bake in moderate oven (180 deg c) for about an hour, until a knife comes out dry. Cover with foil after 30 mins if it's browning too much.

Turn out of tin and cool.

Serve in thin slices with butter as thick as you like it.

xxxx

Hi Ladies

It has taken me ages to catch up on everyone - well from thinking this isnt too bad boy oh boy was I wrong. I never did see that train heading towards me!!!

Liz sorry to hear about the hair and probably a good thing to be be back of the tabs I think we can all do with all the help we can get at the moment. Hope you are feeling a little better.

Cryst glad you are heading in the right direction i've been drinking lime cordial or cranberry juice because everything else tastes just pants doesnt it? How is the constipation going I've eaten dried fruit, liquorish, blended apples with brown sugar but nothing seems to be really doing the trick!!!

Jenny - I'm so with you on the not being able to do things and letting others do it but in all honestity I've not had the strength but it bugs me something terrible. You would think that we had better things to worry about really.
Have you got rid of your headache now I cant seem to budge mine?

Sophie - I managed to get a cancellation to get my chemo started early me thinks sooner start sooner finish.

Daffodil - Hope all went well today thinking of you and sending hugs

Sending love and hugs to all

Karen

XXX

Best wishes for Thurs Daffodil.. Thanks for elderflower idea Cryst. I am improving on the dizzy front but my throat is bad and my temperature has been creeping up. Generally I reckon if it gets no worse than this last week I can get through this. Had a phone call from another new club member who has mastectomy next Mon. Recommended this site but she is not a computer user so I said I would keep in touch and she could phone when she wants. Since my dx in Nov. I have heard of 4 new cases among people I know in the town. The mammography unit did a good trawl that month.
Sophie I know the wait seems ages but give yourself some treats while you are waiting if you can. I had all my favourite meals and probably too much chocolate the weekend before I began. Cheered me up no end to ditch the never ending diet.
Love to all Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck for tomorrow, Daffodil and try to keep your pecker up. People do seem to manage to cope through the chemo, and there's lots of us travelling with you.

Sophie, sorry you are having to wait - that is truly disappointing. Could you plan some treats for when your sister comes?

Jenny, I'm still feeling slightly spaced out, but not half as bad now. Hang in there. I've had trouble drinking enough too as it all tastes horrid and I don't like the sloshy feeling in my tummy. Also I'm off soup and liquidy food which could help otherwise. Elderflower cordial has been my salvation - just a little dash in the water helps it go down. Anyone got any other ideas for drinks?

Hugs to everyone
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, decided against the cold cap, I start my chemo thursday, I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday I think it is all sinking in and I panicked. Feeling a bit better today, and reading all the messages of encouragement and advice really helps me. It is very hard to let go of the norm and it has been hard for me not to be bustling about but I guess I have a little way to go yet so will have to be patient. I have 6 x fec then 3weeks rad then a year of herceptin. Thinking of you all xx

Pants, my chemo does not start until the 31st March, I was really hoping for the week of the 17th March as my sister who is a nurse is coming to visit.She really wanted to look after her young sister. I have told them that I am happy to start early if they have any cancellation. So fingers crossed it will be 31st March at the latest.
17th March I have my CT and MRI scans, so hopefully by the end of March I will have all of my complete diagnosis.

Jenny,
Remember, you need to let go of your old "normality" and rest in order to be able to get back to do what you used to. Take care of yourself.

Sophie

Hi all ! The thought of 5 more of this is very scary. I hate not to be on top of things and having to leave the house and all to my poor beleagured hubby drives me mad. He has his mum to see to as well, going to her flat every day to check up onher.I am still feeling dizzy and headachy. When does that stop? Thinking of getting daughter to shave hair off soon. Have a sore throat today but I didn't drink enough yesterday. I am a tea and coffee person usually but they taste yuk so joining the bottle water brigade.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi alll, Jenny I have no idea how women with small kids cope, and I feel for them so dreadfully. Liz, nylony describes the hair very well. I now have horrid itchy little bumps on my head too. 😞 Otherwise I've been feeling almost human today. Mr Diarrhoea (sp?) and Mr Constipation are at war in my gut, and I'm a bit weak, but my spirits are better and I'm less sleepy. Five more cycles does seem like a way to go, I agree Liz.

xx hugs

Hi all, I'm def having bad hair days now, it's gone like a doll's, very nylony and can't style it! My mood is lifting a bit, the gp helped, and has put me back on anti-depressants for a few weeks. Physically doing ok though, just a bit light headed in the afternoons, so sleep. I think it's the thought of another 5 cycles that's dragging me down, as I want to be able to plan things and try to move on from cancer..easier said than done. Love to all...Liz

Hi Cryst and co. Yes I am Ok but still feeling dizzy when I stand and that headache is still there. My daughter is still producing germs like Fungus the bogeyman so I am keeping to bedroom today(mostly) and as we have other daughters sprogs (1 1/2 and 3) for an hour or so and they warned me to keep away from them this week. How do they expect mums with children to do this? Lucky I'm a gran but can't see hubby managing on own and I won't be able to resist them anyway. I didn't know we shouldn't wash hair. Been doing mine every 2 days. It's still just dry and all over the place. I agree with Sophie, waiting the last two weeks was the worst bit. Sorry about the depression Liz. if anything justified it this does and snap out etc. doesn't work from past experience. Take all the help you can get. Thinking of you and all of you fellow feccers if I am allowed to say that ..love Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, how's it going today? Are you hanging onto your meals, Karen? I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get on with it, Sophie, and you're right of course. Get it done, get on with our lives. Liz - don't put yourself under pressure to "snap out of it" - it doesn't work like that. GP sounds like a good idea. I've slept and slept and feel a bit better. Going to wash my hair in a minute - even if the literature says not to. I can't stand it this dry and disgusting any more wish me luck! Jenny, are you OK?

Hi all, happy mother's day, at least I've had a better night's sleep. Mouth is terrible and dry but otherwise physical symptoms ok. Still feel very low, rang the helpline yesterday and they advised me to go to gp tomorrow about the depression. Wish I could just "snap out of it"! Glad to hear from you Karen.

Hugs

Liz