Can the GP be fairly certain?

61 REPLIES 61
Kazz48

Re: Can the GP be fairly certain?

Sorry Jill I meant it's easier said than done not to worry xx 

Kazz48

Thanks cherry b 

I've not felt so anxious today and slept a little better too which has helped. 

Sorry to be such a wuss!! 

CherryBakewell

Hi Kazz

Please try not worry too much. Although my GP was unfortunately right in her suspicions, she also said that she treats any breast lump as cancer until proven otherwise, so the urgent referral doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister. Not that is will stop you overthinking and having wild thoughts. It's a cliche but the waiting really is the worst. I was almost relieved when I got my diagnosis as I'd been feeling tired and lethargic for some time and feared I'd just lost my mojo to the perimenopause. Everything crossed for a happy outcome for you xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

😳
Kazz48

For sure!! 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Easier said than done eh !!!
Kazz48

Thanks Jill, I'm trying not to overthink things!! 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Kaz,they can only make an educated guess as to what is going on iinside you. Only further tests will be able to tell you exactly what's going on .The waiting is very hard .
Kazz48

Thanks Ann, I'll try!! Have a glass for me, I don't have any in !!😱πŸ₯‚πŸ·

ann-m
Community Champion

Try not to worry, Kazz. Your gp has followed usual practice, so there is nothing to read into it. It's quite normal for the anxiety monster to bite a bit when waiting!

Well, I've got my Saturday wine in hand 🍷cheers!!!

Kazz48

Friday night wine club? 🍷🍷πŸ₯‚I'm in !!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Kazz48

I must admit I'm psyching myself up to face the worst, even though my Gp says it doesn't feel like cancer , more cystic in nature but she said she was referring me as a routine case and I've since found out the referral has been graded as urgent. Could the Gp really suspect cancer and not heave disclosed it to me? I did mention that I suffer from anxiety, so as you can imagine I'm thinking all sorts 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Thanks Ann,I knew you would know how to do it !!!
ann-m
Community Champion

Just to add, to edit a post, if on the full web version (not mobile version) sign into the forum first. At the top right corner of the post, there is a drop down box 'options' which has an edit option.
Click this, re-edit & then post.
ann x
CherryBakewell

As the non-healthcare professional on this thread I think it's safe to say that you can all be rightfully proud of working for the NHS. I've never worked for an employer that the vast majority of people in this country think helps put the Great in Great Britain or that is honoured with its own special tribute during an Olympic Games opening ceremony!!!

Excellent suggestion from Jill to get Patriciamay's identifying post deleted. 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Patriciamay if you want to delete the post re your job to make your comments more "anonymous" you can.Im a bit of a technical numpty but I'm sure Ann will be able to tell you how .There are lots of us on the forum who work in various health and social care settings at dfferent levels .I cannot fault the care given to me by my breast care team.
Newbrunette

Hi Patriciamay. As one of the newbies I've really appreciated your honesty (and the support of everyone on here). And I'm liking the idea of a Friday wine club 🍷(Despite all the self blame I've had thatvmy weekly Rioja must have led to this!!) I get very upset when people criticise our wonderful NHS. I work in children's mental health - so we've taken a particular bashing this week!!! My experience of the bc service so far (and it's really early days) has been fantastic. I have complete trust in the doctors, radiologists and nurses that will be responsible for care.
ann-m
Community Champion

Absolutely Patricia! 

Honestly, that anxiety monster has a lot to answer for, putting all those fearful feelings in the head, when for most of us, a bc diagnosis is not the end of the world & we get through it & move on. 

Thanks to mammos, I got an early diagnosis & as an insider, I could not fault the NHS.

I remember at the time I was diagnosed, someone I knew who was younger than me, had a life changing stroke. This was a much needed reality check for me at the time, as my life would return to normal after a few months blip & it did. For that, I'm very grateful. 

ann xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Please do not leave us, you have always been so supportive of us all

You are so right about not getting better treatment anywhere else, I for one know that I would never have had more incredible treatment than I have had from the NHS, I remember thinking that I would not go to the screening appointment because I was so busy, thank god I did because otherwise my cancer would not have been found as I did not have a lump or any of the other signs so the screening absolutely did what it was supposed to do..  The care and attention I have had during my treatment and since completing it is second to none.

Helena xxx

Patriciamay

Ann you are great, let's get Cherry and the newbies through this. Xx

ann-m
Community Champion

Well, I'll come out as an NHS pro too, with a front line clinical training responsibilities. I totally know where you're comming from, Patricia!
CherryBakewell

Oh Patriciamay, that would be a real loss to the forum but I can understand that you feel as you've now outed yourself, so to speak, you might not feel comfortable commenting any more. Although I didn't participate on that thread I think I know some of the posts you're referring to.

I honestly think living in the real or imagined shadow of cancer does do strange things to people's power of rational thought. Before this health scare I had a few difficult years including the death of my dad and some of the other life crises that life throws at all of us and on numerous occasions had wondered aloud how much more of this life I could take. After my biopsy I seriously found myself thinking that I might have somehow wished this upon myself - like some mad perversion of the power of positive thinking. I like to think of myself as an intelligent woman so I know how bonkers and irrational that sounds but it's amazing the tangents the brain goes off on at times like this, which might account for some of the wilder things that get written on here. 

Patriciamay

Thank you Ann I have just seen your response. Appreciated. Xx

CherryBakewell

Not sure why my recent post posted twice. Just wanted to state for the record (since I'm surrounded by medics) that it was because I got an error message the first time. It's not cos I'm taking the Friday night wine  club to extremes!!! 

Patriciamay

Yes that is quite right.  So I will say it now.  I am a CEO of an NHS trust and a doctor.  Today there has been lots of posts I cannot support.  Confessing my background somehow makes me somehow not able to participate on this forum.  So I am going to  just say a couple of things.  Whilst the NHS has faults breast cancer is being sorted out amazingly. You will not get better treatment privately or abroad.  There is huge debate about screening and how beneficial this is, but that is very risky, but I do feel Pandora's box has been opened.

There are two things never spoken about (1) the massive assault on our brains due to the anxiety of screening,breast cancer, results etc. (2). In many cases breast cancer is being cured.

goodnight my friends.  Xx

ann-m
Community Champion

Friday night wine club, I'm in πŸ˜„πŸ·x
ann-m
Community Champion

Patricia, just to echo what Jill has said, btw, I thought your responses were excellent, factual, concise & needed.
As this is an open forum, we are all responsible for we put out there & must consider the impact of this on others & what they are going through, as you pointed out.
After all, we're all dealing with some serious s*** & respectful challenge is ok.
hugs
ann x
CherryBakewell

No, you stay right here Patriciamay!!! We've got our Friday night wine club on the go.... 

CherryBakewell

No, you stay right here Patriciamay!!! We've got our Friday night wine club on the go.... Smiley Happy

CherryBakewell

Ha. I feel a total fraud then as I am totally squeamish, probably why I have such admiration for anyone who works in the NHS. Not quite as squeamish as my brother though who nearly faints if he has his blood pressure taken!!! Ironic that he was Head of Fundraising for a leading hospital. Not sure how he managed to make it through the corridors every day!!! 

Patriciamay

Not wanting to take the support away from our new worried friends.  So will post in another thread, but thank you. Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jill

As always with you my dear, such wise and sensible words you are amazing xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Newbrunette

They do say nurses makes the worst patient πŸ™‚  And I am an NHS administrator so between the 3 of us we have the whole package xxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Patricia don't worry about others today,just look after you.I know the posts you are talking about and I'm sure things will work out ok in the end ,time and space needed for the person concerned.xx
Newbrunette

Ha - ladybowler - good for you πŸ™‚
Patriciamay - I'm an NHS nurse - I'm rubbish at being on the other side!!!
ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

On my dear friend I am sending you a hug that I hope will make you feel at least a little better with everything that has gone on today xxxxx

CherryBakewell

Hi Patriciamay

I totally take my hat off to you doing the job you do and still finding the time to come on here and to calm people's nerves and hand out soothing words of advice. Puts the supposed stress of my career into pretty sharp relief. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a stressful day and that some of the posts on the forum worry you. It's this level of caring that makes the NHS the magnificent beast that it is!!! 

Patriciamay

"Your" results

ladybowler
Community Champion

Newbrunette

I remember after my first biopsy I said can I bowl on Sunday, this was the Thursday before, they looked very worried until I explained it was lawn green, they were thinking ten pin, they said ok. 

After the second biopsy I asked the same and they said just be careful, the big thing was that both weekends I was in finals.    I did do the both thank god.

Mine is a Rioja as well πŸ™‚

Patriciamay

Cherry I know you need to get tier results, but I hope you can sleep well tonight and 🍷To that.  I have had a stressful, day as have been very worried about some of the posts today.  I have never told anyone this in this forum but I am a senior clinician in the NHS.  Feel a bit tearful, keep well and try not to worry. Xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Medicinal purposes !!! πŸ™‚
Newbrunette

Hi all
I've just drunk half a bottle of Rioja too! It's always been heart disease in my family - so I told myself it'd be that would get me! I never expected this one! I run - in fact I am due to do the Cardiff half marathon on 1st October.
After my biopsy on Tuesday I asked the BC nurse "can I run?"
- she said to probably wait a few days. I asked can I drink?" - she said "God, YES!"
ann-m
Community Champion

Cheers Cherry, I have a nice glass of sauvignon blanc on the go at the mo !!
CherryBakewell

Gosh, this forum is magnificent!! Ann, Jo and Patriciamay - thank you for your hugely helpful and calming responses. The replies I've received on this forum really have been more reassuring than anything else I've found after hours of reading and research. 

I may even allow myself a medicinal glass of Merlot!! Wishing everyone a lovely weekend xx

Patriciamay

Hi Cherry

I really got myself into a state and blamed myself for giving myself cancer risks.  I was very lucky to be given an extended appointment with my oncologist as I wanted to really understand the risks etc.  This is what she said:

"we really don't know why some people get BC cancer and some don't.  There are statistics, but quite frankly they are a bit random.  We can quote statistics about recovery after treatment, which are good and evidenced based  and be certain about that, and there is some evidence about preventing re-currence.  Whilst we now have excellent treatments that will provide "curative therapies"   We still just don't know why some people get BC cancer.  I explained to her, my concern was drinking 1 to 2 bottles of wine a week.  She laughed and  said, please don't worry, this isn't your fault.  We have the best treatment to help you.  

It did make me change my lifestyle, but I don't blame myself anymore, and nor should you so please don't. Xxxx

Jobey68

Cherry certainly don't blame yourself, super health conscious people still get cancer! My mum for one, she never drank or smoked, cooked all meals from scratch and walked everywhere as she didn't drive but she still died from breast cancer sadly, we don't bring this on ourselves but it's natural to feel as you do right now, don't give yourself a hard time thinking it's your fault because it isn't! Xx Jo 

ann-m
Community Champion

Oh Cherry, please don't blame yourself. If you do get a diagnosis, then it's just one of those things.

I remember the surgeon saying to me about alcohol "don't worry about it, teetotallers get it too!"

Marathon runners get it, vegans get it & those with unhealthy lifestyles don't get it.

Yes, stats may show lifestyle links, but it's general & as one of the consultants on the team I was treated by said, no one knows why it starts. 

But of course many of us here do make positive lifestyle changes which is a good thing to do anyway. 

The latest stats suggest that half of us will get a cancer diagnosis over our lifetime, apparently, it's just as likely as having having a first child or going to university or something. 

So, drop that guilt!

ann x

CherryBakewell

Hi Bottyboo

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond and great to hear that are you're well on the road to recovery. It must have been such a shock for you to receive your results after the GP's reassurance. I've had a succession of serious faces and what I thought was a slightly pitying look from one of the nurses - but I could just be imagining that - so I'm very much prepared for bad news. 

I don't know if anyone else felt this way but I'm sort of blaming myself. If only I'd always eaten much healthier, chosen a less stressful profession, not drunk alcohol... I know it can be totally just down to the (bad) luck of the draw but the risk factors for breast cancer mentioned everywhere just make me feel I've somehow brought it on myself - not that I even drink that much, gorge on junk food or carry much excess weight. It's just when I read about lifestyle factors and cancer, I just kick myself that I wasn't stricter over my five a day!!! I've never even smoked and even opted for natural anti-perspirants donkey's years ago but am now plagued with thoughts that I could have prevented it. 

Anyway, I should possibly step away from the internet this weekend. Ha. 

Thanks again for eveyone's support and for just taking the time to read my witterings.

CherryBakewell x 

CherryBakewell

Hi NewBrunette

So so sorry to hear about what you're goIng through. It really is a very strange and unnerving time, isn't it? Totally know where you're coming from with your sorting out the paperwork comment!! It's bizarre how the whole trajectory of your life can change in the space of a couple of weeks. I think it's obviously sensible to prepare for not great news but even the most experienced radiographer can never be totally certain until the biopsy results are in. One thing I've noticed whilst googling my fingers to the bone of late (I know, I know!!) is that sometimes even supposed nailed on certainties for cancer come back as a benign result.

It's also slightly comforting when people wheel out the old phrase that if you're goIng to get any cancer then breast is the one to get as the treatments have progressed so much over the past few years. Then obviously there are all the compassionate, vibrant women on forums like these who have got through their treatment successfully and are just getting on with their lives. 

All my very best wishes to you and anyone else here who finds themselves in a similar situation. 

CherryBakewell xx

Bottyboo

Hello Cherry and Mandy. I'm sorry you're going through such a worrying time but you have come to the right place for support. My GP used to do a weekly breast clinic and operating list so when I saw him and he said he would be flabbergasted if it was anything sinister I was very reassured. However at the one stop clinic they did a scan of my armpit and when she said she also needed to biopsy there as one of my nodes was enlarged I just knew. 2 weeks later the results were in and it was cancer with spread to lymph nodes. I wish I had been told either nothing by my GP or that it looked like cancer.
However I am now 17 months down the line of therapeutic mammoplasty, chemo and radiotherapy. 4 weeks ago I had my matching op on the other side. I have 10 years (now 9) of anastrazole and I'm on the add aspirin trial. The one thing that I took from the forum was the worst time is waiting for your initial results. Once you get a treatment plan in place the time flies. It's not an experience anyone would choose but equally the fear is way worse that the practice. Good luck to you both xxxx