Can they reduce the size?

Hi there

I am feeling very lucky as I found the wrong kind of lump which had got surprisingly large without me detecting it - about 5cms - as it was hidden deep behind my left nipple. I went in for the results of my biopsy today and was so relieved when they diagnosed me with extensive DCIS and only one small area where they are sure the C cells have snuck out of the ducts. The good news is they have reassured me everything I have is curable.

The bit that’s upsetting is that as they have to take so much of my breast I’ve been told I’ll should have a full mastectomy and as it is near the surface I have to loose my nipple too. Because of the area that has “snuck out of the duct” I’ll need my lymph nodes tested and at least one removed for tests. I’ve also been told I and cannot have reconstruction for at least 6 months as they believe I’ll need radiotherapy and possibly other treatments which do not work well with a reconstruction.

The thing is I’ve got very attached to my breasts and I do not understand is why I have not been offered any treatment to reduce the size of the lump and infected area so I can have less surgery and avoid the full mastectomy and even keep my nipple.

Also why should I have a large lumpectomy rather than a full mastectomy?

Has anyone been through this?

Hi, sorry to hear your news. I’m in a similar situation to you, and sorry I don’t have any answers. Thought I’d share though. I was diagnosed yesterday, and put a similar post on here yesterday. I have a smaller lump - 3 cm and I have 2 other much smaller ones. Having read some stuff on the forums and on this site, I’m going to ask whether they can try to shrink at least the larger tumour to avoid a mastectomy. I was told that they might need to do radiotherapy which is why won’t do a reconstruction at the same time too. Not sure how far I’ll get with it but worth a go.

So sorry you are going through this too.
Are you feeling OK?

Hi Anji

Because your lump is 5cms & because of where it is in the breast & because of some spread to another part of the breast, they would have to cut out so much breast tissue you would be left with nothing that looked like a breast when they had finished. They are probably worried about getting clear margins around each area and if they can’t get them that you might have to have another op and have a mastectomy anyway - which was what happened to a friend of mine.

Hi Anji, I spoke to the surgeon on Thursday - I’m quite impressed that you can get a hotline through to them! He has offered to see me again next week to answer my questions again if I want him to. He said that chemo probably wouldn’t shrink things enough, and they will still need to go in to the 3 lump locations. They are still saying that they don’t know what they will find when they go in. I did argue about the “cosmetic look” - a chopped about breast, or radical mastectomy - it’s hardly a good choice either way is it? He did say though that he could re-think taking all of the lymph nodes out, given that the fine needle test didn’t show anything. But if they did find something in the nodes they would have to operate again. I think I will see him again next week, it feels like the more you ask the more you feel in control. Hope you are OK?

hi all, sorry to butt in. I had my masectomy just over a year ago now. Im 36, was 35 to the day when I found it. when I heard masectomy I was totally floored, spesh as large chested. i spent 5 weeks back and forward to surgeons, as I finally agreed to masectomy on the basis of immediate recon, I couldnt come out with nothing, then was totally floored as said might be able to do lumpectomy, however, after talking further to m=nurse, it came about that if didnt get clear margins woulnd need masectomy anyhow and as had lump under arm too, possibly in lots of nodes. I also wanted to do whatever I could to elimate it coming back, so opted for masectomy, then was blown away to be told didnt want to do recon at same time due to rads etc. but here I am a year on, and possibly going for recon in 6 months. Although I hate being one sided its wierd how you adapt, I never thought I would and still hate it otherwise wouldnt consider more surgery, however, I adapted so much faster than I thought I would and even looking at it doesnt bother me and on the plus side I was healed and ready for chemo.

I hope what ever choices you make work out well for you and you get on well with your treatment - there is light at the end of the tunnel, its more doable than I thought and easier once in it that waiting (although I done everything I could to delay it)
xxx

Oh Aliceblue and Redders and Lisa

I think is pants whichever way you look at it.

They are all so good, and kind and helpful but they keep giving me the wrong answer. My nurses are going to ask the surgeon to consider any and all options tomorrow when I go in for all the pre-op stuff. They have told me “We’ll ask him but we are sure he’ll say ‘no!’”…

Why is logic so hard to deal with?
Why does common sense not prevail?

The more I look at my breast,
The more I don’t want it gone.

I hear so much good advice and everyone around me keeps saying:
“The sooner it’s gone the better…”

“Better for whom?” I ask in my quiet alone moments;
“What is better about them taking my breast away?”

Why can’t they hear my loud angry thoughts as I say:
“The illness inside is nothing to do with me, you’ve got the wrong woman”?

I have even thought of plain refusing to allow them to take it away
What happens then I wonder?

When I wake up tomorrow and feel the morninng sun shining on me;
Everything will be fine and life will be sweet

And the nightmare will recede into the deep, dark night
And they’ll realise it was all just a silly stupid mistake

And I WILL forgive them all for the fear
And anger their message has briefly brought into my life

As everyday is too precious to waste
With angry thoughts or recriminations

And I promise I will smile
At everyone, about everything, every day for the rest of my life