Can they tell?

I had a biopsy taken a week ago and have another week to wait for the results.  I got the impression that they pretty much already knew that it was cancer, whether from the mamogram, ultra sound or the appearance of the biopsy.  Could that be so?  They just seemed to negative, don’t come back on your own, you will need an MRI, etc.  Is it possible that they can tell that the lump is cancer before the results of the biopsy?  Are there signs?  

Unfortunately i cannot offer any advice on this but i just wanted to wish you the best of luck. xx

Hello Lynny61

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

You may also like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Lynny.

I can only give my experience in that they could tell from the mammogram and did the biopsy for confirmation of the type of cancer. However they told me straight away that it was cancer on my initial consultation. I was then ushered through for the biopsy and had the full results a week later, along with an explanation of my care plan.

Good luck with everything.

Ann

Hi Lynny,

In my case it was almost the complete opposite! They were all very confident that it wasn’t cancer. My mammogram showed nothing, but a lump could be seen on ultrasound. They did a biopsy of that lump, and were all sure it was nothing to worry about.

I asked my surgeon for a breast MRI because I thought there may be more than one lump. He reluctantly agreed to it. Turns out I had four tumours; three in a cluster and one further away.

The biopsy came back as positive, so obviously, I needed the other lumps tested. At this stage, they thought the three in a cluster would all be cancerous, but the one further away they were convinced was benign. I was told that I’d have a lumpectomy on the three, and the forth would be left alone.

After the rest of the results came back, it turned out they were all cancerous. The forth one, due to it being some distance away from the rest, meant I needed a mastectomy.

I’m sure you can imagine I was devastated. Partly because I. Was so unprepared, because I had been convinced that I need not be concerned. I almost wish they’d told me to be prepared for bad news so it didn’t come as such a shock.

What I will say, 12 months down the line is, whatever the outcome, it’s much better once you know for certain. The waiting is torturous. Once you know for sure, you are much better placed to be able to cope. You somehow get the strength.

I really hope for you it isn’t cancer. But, if it is, you will deal with it, I promise.

Love and luck, Mel. xx

Hi Lynny61

I got a recall letter last week and had to go on Monday.  I got another mammogram which still showed something.  I got a breast examination and ultrasound.  Nothing felt or showed.  They did a core biopsy and made an appointment for next wednesday.  I was told I would get my result from a breast surgeon.  I am preparing myself for the worst.  I am like you going through this waiting process.

Hi Lynny,

I’m so sorry to hear your news. However, I’m glad you agree that once you know, it gives you some peace of mind.

You have the same as I had. I was due for a lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy. However, in my case, following a breast MRI, I had four tumours, though they didn’t think they were all cancerous. Biopsies proved them wrong, so I ended up with a mastectomy.

But, 12 months on and I’m doing fine. Life is pretty normal, even with only one boob!! I call myself “One-Tit-Wonder”!!!

Lynny, you’re still probably going to have your bad days, but that’s why these forums are here; to help us all through them.

Best of luck with your treatment plan.

And Ch0c0late, I hope you can get through the next few days… do whatever it takes to keep yourself sane! As we all have said, the waiting is the worst part without doubt.

Take care lovely ladies, love Mel. xx

I sometimes think they  do know. I have had cysts drained 3 times fom my left breast but this time my lumpnwas in my right breast and painfull the mammograms was so painfull on the right to and then I went for a scan had to have a core byopsy the was told that the lump is not a cyst its deep and it doesnt look good and I will have the results a week friday that was yesterday and I am thinking the worse wondering what he mean by it doesnt look good I just thought I had another cyst x

Hi ladies,

Sorry I’ve not been on here for a bit. I’ve been unwell. In fact, I have so many different things going on, I don’t know if I’m coming or going! I’ve had a chest infection for weeks which is giving me lots of issues. Constantly coughing and continually worn out.

I was taken into hospital on Weds morning with terrible chest pain. They wanted to rule out a heart attack, but I thought it was my chest infection. Luckily it wasn’t my heart, but as soon as they ruled that out, it’s a case of “Ok, it’s not a heart attack so off you go to your GP to try and establish what’s wrong”!

I now think it is my oesophagus/stomach as I’m struggling to eat anything and get pain when I try to eat. Getting sick when I do eat. Hey ho, I’ve booked to see gastroenterologist next week.

Also, I’m back in breast clinic at 2:30pm today for results of biopsies taken from mastectomy site. It’s all a bit of a whirlwind at the mo, and I think it’s getting the better of me right now.

Enough about me! Lynny, great to hear you staying so positive with your support for those playing the tortuous waiting game.

Jay, I’m sorry they’ve worried you. I have to echo what’s already been said. Be prepared, but keep busy doing anything you can to take your mind off things until you know. The waiting is the worst part without any doubt.

Shar, you must be so confused at the moment with all the contradictory stuff being said. I think it’s best to focus on the fact that they are removing whatever is there and that should be an end to it.

Sorry ladies, I’m not on my best form at present. But love and hugs to you all. Mel. xx