Can we claim zero-rated VAT on wigs?

Although I haven’t lost my hair yet (day 13 of first Taxtotere) I am expecting it to go within the next week. (I lost all my hair on FEC before the 2nd chemo).

In 3 weeks time I am attending my son’s graduation ceremony, and I DO NOT want the memory in the pictures to be tainted by my wearing a chemo turban, so I am going up to Selfridges on Thursday to buy a wig.

It will be a nuisance if I still have m,y hair then, as I know it’s better to try the wig on without hair, but that is the last opportunity I have before the next chemo, and after it I know I won’t feel up to it. (It’s going to be a struggle to travel 3 hours each way to attend the ceremony on day 11).

Does anyone know if we can claim zero-rating of VAT because the wig is for medical reasons?

Ive seen someting on this recently…not sure if its a BCC publication. Pretty sure you can-some sort of exemption form is needed. Sorry bit vague!

If you go to trendco.co.uk and scroll down left-hand side to vat exemption,you can download and print off the form.Really easy and that’s 15% off,also a good site for wigs etc.
All the best,

Little H

Most wigs look much better if they are trimmed and styled on your head. Personally I found Selfridges very limted. Trendco are excellent. And yes you don’t have to pay the VAT. All good wig suppliers know this and will have the necessary forms.

Hope wedding goes well.

Jane

Hi daviesuk

The answere is yes.
I went to Selfidges last Monday and bought my wig there, just say that its for medical reasons, they give you a simple form to fill in then when you go to pay they take you down to the basement and they take away the cost of the vat.

Its not that easy to find the wig area its on the 4th floor (furnature - go figure) near the massarge treatment area.

They stock the revlon range of wigs only, you can see the range on line. I did find that you can look very different I tried one on for a joke deff not what I thought I’d get and fell in love, so its worth trying on a few and even the different shades can make a difference on the same wig.

The assistant suggested I go home in my wig, was a bit daunted and did think I’d be too hot but it was fine and surprisingly comfortable. I too still have my own hair not due to start treatment for a while due to having gone on a drug trial but wanted to be prepared.

Hope you find something you like and enjoy your sons graduation.

take care g