Cancer and Anger

My wife Judith developed breast cancer twelve years ago. Her reaction followed the five stage theory suggested by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross in her 1969 book “On Death and Dying”.

Judith had successful surgery and after a course of chemotherapy was eventually given the all-clear. However, her personality changed during this process. She remained depressed as she feared the possible return of the disease. She also had bouts of anger that led to arguments with family and friends.

Two and a half years ago the cancer came back. This time it was in the spine. Judith’s consultant told her that this time he could do very little for her. He said that she could only expect to live six months.

I now became her principal carer. I enjoyed looking after her and it gave me an opportunity to show my love for her. For most of the time she was very appreciative. However, occasionally there were outbursts of anger directed at me. As Elisabeth Kübler-Ross pointed out, this anger stage involves questions such as: “Why me? It’s not fair!”; “How can this happen to me!”; “Who is to blame?”

This appeared to be caused by a combination of grief, fear and the drugs she was taking. It was the hardest thing of all to take. In the past these outbursts would have led to us having an argument. Things said in anger would result in further conflicts creating a vicious circle without end. Having an understanding why she was doing this I refused to retaliate. I passively took even the most outrageous accusations about my motives for looking after her. On one occasion she suggested that I was poisoning her drink and food. I later discovered that she was storing food that had not been prepared by me. My GP explained to me that the drugs she was taking were making things taste different and she was interpreting this as me trying to poison her. Luckily, my daughter was also caring for her was able to explain to her that her fears were mistaken and were being caused by the side-effects of the drugs she was taking.

Our GP pointed out that it was a normal reaction for terminally ill patients to turn-on the ones who are caring from them. This was confirmed by members of staff at the hospice who said that sometimes they had to provide respite care in order to help reduce the conflict between husband and wife.

Judith died yesterday morning. Several of the nurses at the hospice commented on the peaceful way she died. Apparently, many patients who die of cancer become very angry and agitated during that final period. They pointed out that their loved ones often become very angry and aggressive towards them. I was really surprised by this comment as I could not fault one member of staff who all showed their care and love for Judith and the rest of the family. I do really mean love. It is difficult to explain as the environment created by the hospice is different from any other thing that I have experienced. In a strange sort of way the hospice is like a utopian world, an oasis of love. If only hospitals could be like this. If only society could be like this. It was like the world created by William Morris in his book “News from Nowhere”.

On my return from the hospice I had to get Judith’s birth-certificate from the box where she kept all the important documents and found a card addressed to me from her. The card was of Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s “Hand of Dante holding that of Love”. Inside was an incredibly moving letter from Judith about our life together. It dealt with the major conflict in our lives: the fact that I spend so much time working. This was also the theme of her outbursts of anger. I know my passion for work is a form of illness that was probably triggered by the death of my father. I have read that the early loss of a parent makes you constantly aware of the limited time available. I have always felt guilty about this but in her letter she acknowledged that it was this dedication to work that enabled me to achieve so much and that she was “proud” rather than “angry” about it. As we have always been together for the last 45 years, it is the first letter she has ever sent me.

I tell this story in the hope that patients and their relatives get a better understanding of the emotional turmoil caused by cancer. We came to terms with these conflicts during those final months. I urge everybody reading this to do the same. Don’t only say it, put it in writing. I know my letter will give me consolation for the rest of my life.

Your post was very moving John and I am sorry for the loss of your wife.

Fortunately I am “cancer-free” right now having just finished treatment for my primary BC however your post struck a cord with me because my mum nursed her partner of 20 years through his struggle with bowel/colon cancer for about 18 months before he lost his fight and she has told me on many occasions that one of the hardest things she has had to deal with is how angry and vicious he was to her towards the end (pain and drugs induced), often biting and scratching her. She also struggled to get through to him and to get him to share his fears with her (he would often sit up in the night alone but never tell her what he was thinking of and wouldn’t discuss the fact that his cancer was terminal and had been since it was discovered).

I know that had he had a little more time to prepare (he died of sepsis (sp?) after an op to biopsy some new lumps in his bowel) and found the time to write to her with his true feelings for her and her care and their life together it would have meant then and still mean a great deal to her now. It would have allowed her to let those last 12 difficult months fade and the previous wonderful 19 years shine in her memory much sooner than they did.

I hope that you find peace and continue to find comfort from your wife’s letter.

O, x

Hello John,
I am so sorry for your loss.
I must say I was extreemly moved by your posting. I am going through the chemo stage of my BC and certainly have my moments, but am writing these down and after reading your posting will continue to do so as I dont know what my future holds… but what I do know is that I want my Husband and daughters to know how much they are loved and appreciated.
I nursed my Mother through Cancer and she too was extreemly hurtful saying I was the wrong daughter and she only wanted to see the other one whom had not lifted a finger.
I hope that you continue to remember the good times that you and your beloved wife shared together, and gain strength from the fact that your love for each other was undoubtably strong.
My thoughts are with you.

I really have nothing to add to the comments already posted.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts John and all best wishes to you.

Hello,
Thankyou so much for sharing this John. I am very sorry to hear about your wife.

Ruth

Dear John,

I was so sad to read about the loss of your wife. What was her name?
Thank you for writing such an honest and moving post, especially when it must all be so raw.

Best wishes to you and your family

Dear John,
Thank you so much for your honesty. I am beginning to realise how very little we generally know about dying, and how ill-prepared I and my family are for facing it. It really helps to have a bit of insight, and be able to talk through these things beforehand, which will hopefully ease the hurt and confusion that could otherwise be caused. I am so glad you found the hospice so helpful, and wish you my condolences on the loss of Judith.
Jacquie x

John,I am so sorry to hear about your wife,Judith.She was a very lucky lady to have you by her side through thick and thin.I am glad she managed to let you know of her deep love for you.Its so difficult at the end that sometimes the things we would like to say don’t get said.
I watched my mum die of lung cancer and there are so many things I wish I had said.
Take care and thanks for posting such a personal post.
Love
Dot
x

John…thank you for sharing your story.

I think that the Kubler Ross stage theory of grieving and loss is too simplistic, and that people with cancer, and those who love them don’t follow the phases in a linear fashion, but go through cycles of feelings so you visit and revist anger, denial, acceptance etc.

I also think its not just cancer patients who get angry but can be those who care for them too. Anger is an emotion which often ‘ceovers’ other more difficult and painful feelings.

I think there isn’t enough attention giving to the emotional aspects of living with a terminal illness…there’s too much focus on doing this and that treatment and not mentioning death…so that some people find that death happens before patient and partner/family/friends ahave been able ot talk about it with each other.

Do you know Ruth Picardie’s book: Before I say Goodbye? Its a collection of pieces by the jounalist who died of breast cancer in 1997. In the conclusion her partner Matt Seaton writes one of the most moving accounts I have read about the impact of losing your partner to cancer. He knocks a few myths on the head and it is fantastically honest about the distance which can grow between the dying person and their partner.

I am so glad you found comfort in the letter your wife left. I hope you able to have the best possible funeral/memorial for Judith.

Thank you again for writing your story.

Jane

Hello John,

You are very generous in thinking of how your story might help others, at what must be a very difficult time for you.

I think the fact that Judith wrote that letter, and left it somewhere that she knew you would find it, shows that her true feelings for you were as positive and powerful as they had always been. It sounds as though she knew how the illness sometimes distorted her behaviour, and wanted you to know that her love was, truly, undiminished.

Thank you so much for telling your story, and I wish you well.

Sass xx

Jane is so right to point out the importance of talking about your emotions. When you are married for such a long time there is a tendency to evolve a pattern of behaviour. On reflection, I now know that I did not understand fully the emotional impact that this first diagnosis of cancer had on Judith. It did make her depressed and short-tempered and far too often reacted badly to her outbursts of anger. My retaliation resulted in a vicious circle of conflict. I don’t want to give the impression that we had an unhappy relationship, but without the cancer it would have been much better.

The situation was very different when she was told she was terminally ill two years ago. This time her anger was even more intense. She even accused me of poisoning her food and drink (apparently, this is not an uncommon reaction to taking some anti-cancer drugs). However, this time, the changes in her behaviour was more clearly connected to her illness. I did not react negatively to her comments and the vicious circle was not resurrected. In those last two years we did not have an argument (it takes two to have an argument) and our relationship returned to the harmony of our first years of marriage.

I would urge all primary carers not to react badly to these types of accusations. If you continue to provide loving care the anger against you will eventually subside.

To those people who are suffering from this terrible disease, I would urge them to put down their thoughts on paper. I know the letter that Judith sent me provided me with a great deal of comfort in this harrowing time. It was the most important and generous gift she gave me in our long-life together.

Thank you John for sharing your experience.
I have to say that in some ways it is easier to be a sufferer than a carer; at least the sufferer feels an inalienable right to moral high ground about their own condition, while the carer can often feel like a helpless spectator and at times quite unwanted.

I have the dubious advantage of being both sufferer and carer.
My wife had surgery and reconstruction for tongue cancer in 2007, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and am still undergoing hormonal treatment and my wife has just had surgery and is undergoing chemo and radiotherapy for neck cancer in a lymph node.
You night expect that we have a great empathy for each other at all times, but we still have our angry moments. Fortunately they are much fewer than uor caring moments.

What was liberating for us was the admission on several occasions that we just wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. It is shocking for the carer to hear such talk from your loved one, but that is exactly how you feel at that time. One you can talk honestly about these feelings with each other then it is so much easier to clear dark thoughts and concentrate on life as it is.

With much sympathy and thanks.