Cancer in breast reconstruction after 11 years

We’ll I didn’t think I would be back on this site.

I have just been told the pea sized lump I found in my left breast is cancerous ! So glad I didn’t ignore the lump any longer than I had, two months. As you can imagine I am shock, especially as it’s my reconstructed breast.

11 years ago I was diagnosed with BC after finding a small lump. Turned out to be 3 tumours. On 14/2/2003 I had a mastectomy, cells found in lymph nodes they cleared, tramflap reconstruction, chemo, radiotherapy, and tamoxifen.

Considering the news I am very calm. Obviously, when told the news I wasn’t. Consultant is now getting I contact with the hospital who dealt with the original cancer so he can make an informed decision on what to do next. So until then it’s bone and full body scans.

So really just wanted to let people know DO NOT ignore a lump, even if it’s in a reconstructed breast.

Thanks Flori35.

At the moment just living in a little bubble where they can cut it out and that’s it. Obviously, that’s best case scenario. I am sure treatments have come on since I was last diagnosed and I live in a different area too so that will impact.

Fingers crossed and best wishes to you too

X

MissGreen MissGreen Member
3:26 PM
Phew!! CT and Bone scans came back clear. Consultant has suggested trying a lumpectomy first, as lump is so small. Will do done via day surgery. If get enough clearance then I don’t have to go through a reconstruction of my reconstruction. Will need to wait couple of weeks for results as to whether this one, like original tumours, is hormone receptive. Think chemo will be happening again, not nice but could be worse.

Hi Gilly

Yeah on the whole i have been calm but terrified at the same time. Tears at random moments lol. Different job, different hospital but still living on my own which all add to the stress. I do have a supportive boyfriend, friends and family but not all close by. Yeah I had 5 years of tamoxifen and radiotherapy. Consultant not sure if it’s a recurrence or new case and surprised I found it.

Teresa xx

X

Thank you Flori35. Just impatient. Want surgery done and then get the results back from that. Too be honest it’s easier dealing with facts etc than my emotions
X

X

Hi Flori

So pleased I am not alone on the impatient front lol. I know in reality, it’s small therefore no rush and they had to wait for previous records etc, but at times I want to scream.

Today has been a bad day. The relief of my scans being clear has now warn off. Feel angry and don’t want to be at work as means keeping happy face on (its not common knowledge). I too feel guilty that when there I sit staring at my pc and feel unmotivated (far more than I am normally).

keep getting stressed that because I look fine and not ill people won’t get it or understand. Is that normal ? I think last time it seemed to go so quick, after diagnosis, didn’t get time to dwell. Maybe that’s just my faded memory?

Xx

Hi Gilly

Hi Gilly

Yes this is a great forum. Yours and everyone else’s words really help.

Thanks

Teresa xx

X

Hi again Flori

Sorry to hear you’re feeling so tired. Hope your energy levels pick up soon. Don’t feel guilty about work as I am sure your colleagues will understand and if they don’t they need to try just 1 cycle chemo and they soon would.

After an emotional weekend which left of feeling drained it was back to work today. My friends have told other colleagues what’s going’s on with me and my boss has told me to stop fretting about work. The latter was music to my ears and unexpected. Role on next Wednesday and then then dreaded wait of two weeks for results of the WLE.

Can’t believe how much this forum is helping me. Rarely used it last time, and I went through worse, more fool me.

Take care
Teresa

WLE done this morning so now resting up at home. So far I have no pain but not sure if that’s anesthetic, the lump being small, it was performed on reconstruction or all three. Now just the two week wait for this set of test results

Hi Flori

It’s definitely the waiting that’s the worst at the moment.

I feel fit and well, feel like should be at work but have been told not to drive forwas week and be off for two. Not looking forward to changing my dressing though. May have to bc nurse for that.

I hope your weeks pass quickly too

Take care.

WOW! Good day today.

Had had appointment with consultant and got news I was not expecting. The margin is clear around the lump (he even took some of the muscle to check), it’s only grade 1 and they’ve changed they’re mind with regards to needing chemo. The best case I had hoped for was clear margin but would need months of chemo, still in shock but obviously pleased.

Will now be given another five years of Tamoxifen (maybe less as I am now mid 40’s so nature may intervene) and check ups every 6 months.

One of my best friends is also pleased but on two counts, the first obviously being my health the second she no longer needs to shave her head in solidarity with me.

Now just need to fully heal from WLE and get my head back to normal.

Teresa :smiley:

x

Thanks for the comments ladies. Good luck SisterJayne, hope your results are good. How you doing Flori35 ?
Xx

Good luck with the results Flori35. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Some people are unbelievable Skinnyminx. Good luck with with whatever you decide. It’s a hard decision for you to have to consider on top of everything

Take care all
Xx