Did you mean: 

Cancerversary

6 REPLIES 6
NAZ

Re: Cancerversary

And here's to many more years being cancer free melly xxxxxx

melly04

I always remember day of diagnosis as life changing, but think I will make my cancerversary the day of my mastectomy the day the cancer was cut away which was a year today! Thanks for all your replies ladies xx
Mel
NAZ

Having thought about this again, I also agree with road runner. There are in fact several anniversaries for many of us. The day I had my mx is not a day which sticks in my mind as much as day of diagnosis and end of chemo. I also remember the date of my first recon surgery each and every year, with my lovely ps ( not a big deal to many, but he repaired by poor damaged body caused by first surgeon) but that is recon, not cancer related.

Will be thinking of you on the 17th Jenny, ( mine is December!) xxxxx

Jenny065

Hello ladies,  I am the same as Naz, I think of it from when I was diagnosed,  and what is October- Breast awareness month, as if i need reminding, and what is happening at the hospital the day i go for my mammogram(Oct17) a charity fund raising event as well.- cskes, and balloons, and Teds Big day out--  they sure know how to remind me. but i will just take my teddy bear with me to meet all the others. and support them all. O and maybe even wear the t-shirt.

Take Care everyone. and sending warm Huggles , Jenny.

RoadRunner

I asked my onc this once - he said it went from surgery, as this is the day the cancer is removed.  Until surgery you cannot say you are cancer free.  This is fine is you have surgery first as the surgery is not that long after diagnosis, but if you have chemo first I can see that you would probably want a different way of marking the anniversaries.

And I agree with NAZ that diagnosis day is the day your world changes.  I find I have several anniversaries in my head - the day I found the lump, then the appointment at the breast clinic when they said there was definitely something wrong but they weren't sure what, the day I went back for the results when they confimed cancer, and then surgery.  So there is a period of 4 weeks every year when I mentally go through all these anniversaries, never being quite sure which is the 'real' one!

NAZ

Mine is the day of diagnosis because that is the day life changed forever. But for others, it could be the day of surgery, end of chemo or end of tablets.

melly04

Cancerversary

When is it a year since you've been cancer free? Is it a year after surgery, chemo, radio or when tablets started?