Cant get blood from me!!! ???

Hi all

I went for my blood check today as i have chemo on friday (last one) but the nurse could not get any blood out of me! i have a hickman line and tried everything, coughing, laying down, jigging about, lots of water etc etc but nada. To my devastation had to resort to my poor vein damaged hand and arm, tried several times…nada so had to leave it and try again morning of chemo.

Anyone else had this, im worried they wont be able to get any blood friday and chemo will be delayed, trust me to have ‘bloody’ problems with the last one, so frustrating!

Hi - I had this problem on my last one, took 7 attempts to get a line in, just check they are using the finest possible needle because it was changing needle guage in the end that worked for me. I was panicking and in agony on that arm/hand because my veins had hardened and kept moving out of the way! (dont blame them)

I know how that feels xxxx

I always put a heat pad on my arm prior to having bloods taken. The nurse said that it really helps to get the blood flowing.

Thanks ladies, no i dont blame the nurse at all, i hope my post didnt come across like that.

I just dont understand why my hickman line would suddenly not give out blood. It works when they put the liquid stuff in (forget what its called) If the line dont work friday i will get a heat pack for arm but dread the injections which is why i had the line…oh well just hope it works out on friday.

Hi Claire

I had that trouble for ages with my picc line - the nurse came today for a flush/dressing change etc and I started don’t worry but you won’t get blood first time - it never happens and it came straight away no messing…I think it’a because I booked it in to be removed next week!

I’m not familiar with hickman lines but may be make sure that you are warm and possibly had some vigorous exercise before you are due to give blood?

It’s so frustrating I know but hang on in there, you’ll have your final chemo and it will feel great!

Axx

I clare

I had trouble getting bloods out my Hickman a couple of times… One was getting pre Chemo loads and had to walk around and cough and jump up and down and after a while it eventually worked… And the next day getting Chemo in the other lumen it stopped tried all the same things but still didn’t work and nearly cough myself hoarse… Then tried lying but on my left side and hey presto it seemed to ping open… Not had any problems since… Is it a double lumen line you have? If so did they try out oth sides… When mines wasnt working it was only one lumen that didn’t work but the other one did.

Fingers crossed it will be working by Friday… I usually only get loads done the day before as they can come up a lot in a couple of days.

Lulu x

Hi Clare,

I also have a Hickman line, going for bloods tomorrow and Chemo on Friday. I’ve had a problem a couple of times getting bloods, the hospital suggested using a 20ml syringe rather than the standard 10ml and that worked for me on my next flush with the DN.

Keeping my fingers crossed for mine tomorrow, good luck on Friday,

K xx

Yup, I’ve had that with my portacath. It accepts infusions but sometimes stubbornly refuses to bleed. Taking a massive big breath while leaning to the left and slightly forward usually works but sometimes even that doesn’t. Drinking lots (water, sorry, not beer!) can help too, as can a bit of traipsing around. In my case it was traipsing around the hospital to the x-ray department so they could check the line was in the right place, which is was, and then the darn thing bled like I’d been stabbed after I got back 3 hours later!

Sometimes they’re just flipping stubborn.

Thanks for all the info peeps. It really does help to know it is a normal thing and nothing wrong with the line (or me) thought something sinister may be happening with my blood.

I am drinking lots of water and will do a little jog to the unit from the car tomorrow in a hope that will get my blood flowing. Fingers crossed x

Clare mine wasn’t going to hive up any blood this morning either and I just lay on my side and started almost instantly that I moved… The DN was dead impressed and said how did I do that… Told her it was on he Chemo ward so she said she’s gonna tr that next time if it doesnt work… Good luck tomorrow xx

Lula - you have something there … When my nurse came in for the last time, I was lead on my leftside whilst waiting for her - the blood came immediately!

Axx

PS Fingers crossed for you Claire xx

Nothing worked for me, hickman line has given up with the blood for some reason. I jigged and jumped about, drank loads of water before, coughed (a lot) lay on both sides, they even sent me for an ultra sound to check nothing wrong but blood proved to be flowing fine in arm and near hickman so its a mystery.

I offered up my ‘at risk’ arm in the end cos i couldnt bear to be stabbed several times in my painful fec damaged arm, got blood straight away and it was good so chemo went ahead. Hope i dont live to regret using my at risk arm ánd hope i dont have to use it again (only had 6 nods removed but still a worry about getting lymphoedema)

Well done Claire - not a nice experience I bet but YOU ARE DONE!!! YAY!!!

Axx