Capecitabine... Just started any advice please. ??

Hi, I have started capecitabine for first time last night. It says take with a meal I took it with evening meal at 7 pm yesterday then took it 7 am with breakfast this morning but then it said take doses no more than 12 hours apart so what if I have an earlier evening meal and a later breakfast. ??? I also take omprezole and naproxen and other pain killers as needed… Can I take them same time as capecitabine or is it best to wait a while.
Be really helpful to know how you fit it all in. Feeling ok so far … Remember waiting for side effects when I first had chemo 10 yrs ago. Thank you for your help xxx

Hi Lovelyday,

The tips on Cape/Xledoda thread are very comprehensive and great tips advice on side effects. Give it a read and its so informative and will put your mind at rest. Feet/Hands are very problematic but its a doable chemo and very different from IV’s.

Good Luck, I’m on my 15 cycle and there are ladies who have been on it for years which is very encouraging.

love
Chris x

Thank you Chris xxx

Hi to all Cape newbies!

Threads here :

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/xeloda-capecitabine-your-top-tips-please?page=16#comment-2069185
(long thread… this link should take you to the most recent post as of today)

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/xeloda-week?page=6#comment-2029588
(another long thread, not much used recently but hopefully worth a look)

• other threads in Secondaries/Treatments and medical issues section, most of us on Xeloda have mets so we tend to post there.
    I’ve been on Cape for almost 2 years, it’s worked well for me!
    My oncs said it’s OK if there are 8 hours or more between the 2 daily doses - I don’t wait 12 hours myself - and it’s OK to take painkillers with capecitabine, that’s what I do myself tho I don’t know about naproxen.

Hi Lovelyday - don’t worry too much about taking them 12 hours apart, as long as it’s reasonably close. My unit advises 10-12 hours as OK. Omeprazole is probably fine as I’ve been told Lansoprazole is OK, but maybe take before meal and then take pills after to allow a slight gap. Avoid grapefruit juice at same time, but OK if you have in between (eg around lunchtime) - my unit gave me the wrong advice on that one and didn’t find out until 6th cycle. SEs tend to build up gradually and you might find the week off is worse than the weeks on.

Good Luck, apart from having this summer off I’ve been on this chemo since 2008…x

Hi there, Im a newbie and due to start Xeloda next week. Just been reading through the posts and its very encouraging. Im dreading the SEs, but hopefully I wont have many. I did Paclitaxol for 6 months which finished in September, the SEs for the first few weeks were awful but then settled down and I found it a very do-able chemo and I was stable at the end of it. Ive been on Tamoxifen since then but been very unwell the past few weeks, the Onc has now told me he feels there is progression and the Tamoxifen has done no good. I had my Onc appointment brought forward to today, so I am now waiting for an urgent CT scan and he will see me again on the 28th. I have so many appointments in December so I`m glad all my Xmas shopping is done.
Any tips or hints most welcome, but I think most of them are now on this thread.
Pam.x

Hi Pam,
i started xeloda this week. So far so good re side effects. had a bit of a panic on how to fit other medication around it but settled now. I last had chemo 10 years ago. This time is much easier but know its early days yet. I work full time but now taken a month off while I start this and herceptin next week so lovely to have time off before Christmas even though like you I have lots of hospital appointments I will try and combine this with Christmas shopping maybe! I have found this forum so helpful and supportive. Let me know how you get on. Xxxx