cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capecitabine dosage

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Capecitabine dosage

Dani thats fantastic that your markers have dropped so much...I would push for that holiday definitely! Cant imagine that a short break would interfere with treatment...but I'm new to all this. Your hol plans sound idyllic.
Re dosages...im 5'3 and 10st 4lb and on 3300mg a day. so your dosage is higher than mine despite being a lot lighter than me. I thought my dose would have had to be in the higher bracket due to the size of my mets. Only have 2 but 5cm and 2.5cm...and they're on edge of right lung around windpipe. Dont know of many ladies with mets presenting like mine?
love Bev xxx
Highlighted

Hi Pam (still think of you as herb garden) I always thought cap dosage was to do with weight and height but after reading Danigirl's post I am confused,I am on3x500mg twice a day but I am nine and a half stone and 5ft-1inch so it is not making much sense to me best wishes to all you lovely ladies Macie x x

Highlighted

Hi Pam

This is invaluable info thank you.

My partner has booked a trip to Italy visiting Venice, Lake Garda, Florence, Rome and Amalfi Coast. Oncologist advised to get good insurance but was happy for me to go abroad.
I started Capecitabine in April with a 2 weeks on 1 week off regime. 4 tabs 2000mg in the morning and 4 in the evening. I'm only 8st and 5'3" so don't think dosage has much to do with it.
I did have to stop Cape whilst having surgery for pleaural effusion. First surgery failed so had to have second which was a little more intrusive via camera filling the space with chemical talc. This has worked so was back on Cape beginning of May.

Will be seeing Onc a week on Monday and will be asking if I can have a break from Chemo whilst on holiday. The main reasons are 2 fold. 1. I have metal taste in my mouth and 2. towards end of cycle my feet become quite sore.
As I want to enjoy the holiday it seems reasonable to me to have a break from it. I admit I haven't been on it quite as long as some but feel very well and healthy and have no qualms about having a break. Also last blood test showed cancer markers had fallen by half which was excellent news.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice.
Love and light
Dani XXX

Highlighted

A big thank you ladies for all your valuable information and advice. Where would we be without this forum? ♡♡♡
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies
Pam, well done on Capecitabine doing its job for so long and I hope it continues. I have been on it for about 16 months, with a few extra weeks off in between cycles when I've had to help my feet and fingers repair themselves. Nothing too serious but the extra weeks off do really help. Strangely it's only one of my feet that suffers, with dried and cracked heels, the other has been fairly Ok. Like you I've also taken a few holidays abroad and it hasn't really bothered me so I haven't taken any breaks especially for them. I have had a loads of issues last year with a heart problem caused by FEC that I had in 2008 so I am so grateful that Capecitabine has worked this long as I don't think I could have coped with any other chemo and certainly not Herceptin as I am now HER2+ having been HER2- for 10 years! So I am about to bid Capecitabine a fond (?) farewell and unfortunately go onto IV chemo but I will keep checking any threads about Capecitabine as its good to share experiences.
Thank you Macie for your kind words 🙂 I have used this forum now for over 6 years, since my secondary dx, so I do know how useful it is and try to offer advice where I can. I can't believe how much information and support I have had over these years so its nice to be able to give some back. Hole you are doing OK.
Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi all ....I think I am one of the current long term users of capecitabine. I have been on it since Feb 2012 and counting! i have 2000mgs twice per day 2 weeks on and 1 week off...I have never had a dosage reduction but have had a few breaks....the last 2 breaks have been for 4 weeks each (a cycle plus a week) but before this shorter breaks after 4,5 or 6 cycles depending on how painful and cracked hands and feet are ...and also around holidays etc.....I am currently on the 4th week of a break because I was on holiday in scotland last week and went to my sons graduation in glasgow(cue v proud mum!). I know my markers are stable(as of monday) and I have tablets to restart next week.

I argued not to have a dose reduction because I have gained quite a bit of weight over the last 2 years....i guess similar to a dosage reduction.

Sore hands and feet are the only side effect I have (this started after a hard days walking in Venice after about 8 months on capecitabine and gets worse at the end of cycles and the first days off) and my vertebral mets have been stable.

My bloods have always been normal.

I have had several holidays abroad whilst on capecitabine and MIAonline have covered me.......spain, Italy, turkey, greece, budapest...thye wouldnt cover me for a cruise but that was nothing to do with the capecitabine but their policy on cruises.

Hope this helps the newbies to capecitabine! Pamx 

Highlighted

Hi Bev,
I am on my 7th cycle of Cape, which is 2000mg twice a day, was on the maximum dose of 2500mg BD but after the 4th cycle it was reduced by 20% because of the side effects I was experiencing. I had an u/s scan and ct scan after my 3rd cycle and the tumour had shrunk by 50-60% and lymph nodes had shrunk and some showed scarring. The oncologist said he would keep me on this until I couldn't tolerate it
Highlighted

Yes Bev oncologist said it is important to have a holiday and it is only to Bournemouth. I had a scan after 3 cycles and things remained stable except pleural effusion which had slightly increased so I am hoping for improvement after the next scan which I think will be after 6. cycles.My understanding is that you stay on it for as long as it is working and have a break if the side effects get to troublesome.I only get my info from all the knowledgeable ladies on this forum and I find their advice and comments invaluable.
Macie x x

Highlighted

Thanks Macie. They told me I'm having 3 cycles initially so wondering what will happen after they scan me towards end. I assume I'll start another few cycles? How much shrinkage do they expect to see before they give you a break?
Glad to hear you've had no s/e's yet...what will you do about the holiday? As its so doable will they let you ho away while on them?
Bev xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Bev I am just starting my 5th cycle of 2 weeks on and 1 week of 1500 x twice a day and so far no effects just extra tired towards end of cycle.
I was going to ask for a break for a holiday 1st week in August but being as it is very doable I will crack on with it.I hope you find it is as kind to you and send you love and best wishes also hello to NIcky who I draw a lot of comfort and advice from reading her posts. love Macie x x

Highlighted

Thanks Nicky. Been on it 8 days but no side effects yet...think they prob come later lol! X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Morning Bev 🙂
It is based on your height and weight ratio so I don't think here is a 'normal' with this drug although most of us seem to be on a similar dosage. I have been on 1450mg twice a day but this is at 80% of the original dosage I was prescribed. I found the 100% dose too difficult to cope with and the oncologists try to get it right so that you can bear any side effects but the drug is still effective. It has worked well for me for over 16 months which is great considering it's not the right chemotherapy combination for me.
Hope it works well for you.
Nicky x

Highlighted

Capecitabine dosage

I've been on Cape for a week but my daily dosage is
3300mg (1650mg twice daily). Is anyone else on this dosage? I thought the normal dose was around 2500mg a day.
Love bev xxx