Capecitabine with Vinorelbine

Diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in July of this year (2016) - primary was lobular breast cancer and the secondaries have appeared in unusual places - tumours in the soft tissue around my eyes, thickening to the stomach and bowel walls and then the more “common” bone mets.  My oncologist had me on the drug trial Faktion but took me off when there was progression in the tumours, I was also taken off the fulvestrant injections for the same reasons.  I have now started on chemotherapy - Vinorelbine combined with Capecitabine.  Taken in tablet form for a 21 day cycle (14 days on 7 days off)

What I wanted to ask is if anyone else is on this regime?  And if so, how are they getting on.  Any side effects (long and short term)  I have read about hair thinning, hand and feet problems - but so far (only been on the tablets for a week) I haven’t experienced anything.

thanks for reading

Debbie

Hello Debbie
Welcome …I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies and I’m afraid I’m as much help as a chocolate teapot as I’m not on this regime.
There could well be ladies here on the same cocktail but maybe busy with Xmas shopping etc at this time of year !!!
Anyway Xmas hugs xxxx

Hi Debbie,

have had both those drugs seperatley…Cape for about two years and later on Vinorelbine for about six months. Have a perp at the cape hread as theres a lot of good advice on there…i got sore hands, cracking of the finger skin, my first cycle was awful, but later they reduced  the dose and I felt fine.

My hair started thinning on Vinorelbine( have lost it now from Eribuln) and my nails started splitting.

take time to cream your hands and feet well on Cape( Udderley Smooth is good) and if feelng sick, keep antisickness drugs on hand, some people get diarrhoea so keep some tabs handy if that happens and drink loads! 

Overall tho, I was pretty well on either drug.I dont know anyone who is on both. Very best of luckxx

Moijanxx???

Hi Debbie,

yes …I  too know about not having an appetite…try two hourly tiny snacks, or shakes, you could take a multivitamin if onc agrees. Children have something called abidec when they lose their appetite.

all round boosting foods are Milk, Bread…ooh and even a square or two  of Carolines chocolate

would be better than nothing if you really cant eat.  Try the very high organic cocoa ones…less sugar etc

if you dont kerp your calories up…prone to infectionxx

but do drink loads of fluids, water especially if you can…I hate pure water, but have to force myself as chemos are so tough on us…I get wee infections if I dont.

re the feet, if you cant get hold of udderley smooth…actually Aveeno is excellent for the skin…as is drinking loads of water.(…I notice my wrinkles are much worse when I dont take enough in)

love and hugs, Moijanxx

???

Wow …supertrouper …dipping in here as seven stone is too light …my son’s dog weighs nearly that !
Right here is your daily medicine:
One Terrys chocolate orange
One McDonalds
Half a tin of roses chocolates
Mince pies with loads of cream
Seriously …though hope u do feel better soon …all the treatments do play havoc with life.
Hugs xxx

Carolyn, my dear,  I have got to say this…no wonder you were sick over xmas!

moijanxxx???

Oh moijan
I wish I had eaten all that …then I would have accepted my punishment but I didn’t …my only sin apart from Xmas dinner was a glass of Bailey’s !!!
Carolyn xxx

Hi Supertrooper,
I had a lot of problems with my appetite on Capecitabine which got worse when I moved on to Navelbine. I just went off the taste of everything. I was put in a course of low dose steroids Dexamethasone 2mg. (1 per day) I only took them for a week as they affected my sleep but my appetite seemed to improve immediately and is still OK. I think the steroids kick started my appetite. Definitely speak to your onc about your appetite. If steroids aren’t appropriate you might benefit from a referral to a dietician. Best wishes xxx

Hi Debbie, yes, you are doing well tho! Chickensoup with xtras in sounds good!

dont be too shocked if you find your week off feels a bit more grotty …I had cape 1week on 1 week off and found that suited me better…but I notice on the Capecitabine thread some ladies have less pleasant weeks off!

i didnt  get mouth ulcers on Cape either…but if you do later…I found a mouthwash of bicarb of soda( 1 teasp to  half a pint of water) after every time I had food or drink was helpful…my ulcers were from other chemos.

Anyway, good luck with everything and let us know how things goxx

Moijan???

hi Sopertrouper…i seem to have the opposite problem to you…i just keep putting weight on!! I too see my onc tomorrow and know i am in for bad news and i know a lot of others are seing oncs/expecting results so got everything crossed for everybody. xx

Hi Soupertrouper,

with you on the germ front…such a pain. I use ‘First Defence’ up my nose whenever im in groups, or even with friends if they complain of a cold. Seems to have worked for me for many years now…If I get a cold, its because ive forgotten to use it.  Its on sale in Boots…but please check it out with a pharmacist first…(.I did and they said it was fine for me)

i am now on filgrastim/Neupogen injectins to bring up my white cells…you could ask about that…it also brings up the red cells, which gives. a real boost as less tired.

hugs to you,

Moijanxx???

Hi. I am just starting on this regime and was wondering how people were managing on it and if anyone has any tips?
I had my first cycle of vino intravenously and cape tablet form. After one week been taken off cape. This week had a nasty cold ,ear infection and numbness in legs (already have neuropathy in feet and hands). Been to a and e twice this week. Blood levels are all low and need transfusions every couple of weeks. Trying to rest now before cycle 2 starts on Thursday. Thanjs